Power Breakfast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I have evolved what I call a "power breakfast" over the last month or two. Needless to say it is not my exclusive breakfast. I absolutely refuse to eat the junk from the "garbage isle" as I call it in the grocery store, and probably haven't bought a box of such junk except bran flakes for baking projects, in nearly 40 years.
My so called power breakfast solves two problems for me. One is the issue of how to keep salad greens from "going off", and the other is how to consume more of these important foods. The greens issue is solved by processing them in the blender when they are just about to "go off", using minimal water, and blitzing them into a finely chopped product, which is strained then frozen in very small containers sized for one serving. This greatly reduces the volume, and increases the life. I do small batches and recycle the liquid, resulting in a rich veggie broth as a byproduct that I can use in soups.

The power breakfast is a green souffle that is superbly tender, light an airy. It is made using a handful of greens... spinach, kale, chard, arugula, along with some fresh or preserved garlic, a few jalapeno slices, some onion, and whatever else takes my fancy from the fridge. To this I add one egg, plus one egg white, saving the other yoke for use in a faux (or should I spell it Fox) hollandaise sauce. About half a teaspoon of flour, about 1/4 t soda, some salt, and some other spices. No liquids other than the egg. This goes into two wide mouth half pint jars that have been greased and floured. I often add chunks of onion, mushroom, cheese, cooked sausage etc. These go in to the sous vide at 180F for an hour. They rise beautifully, and are easily turned out onto a plate, and served alongside a couple of links or whatever. Tender and airy, like that garbage they call "bread" in the grocery store, moist, and filled with pockets of things like perfectly cooked onion, melted cheese, mushroom chunks, etc. It's a delight to eat, and is actually a very healthy and fairly light breakfast that is very nutritionally balanced, served with fruit or fruit juice.
If I'm using my frozen product, the procedure is the same... I just throw in one container of my frozen greens, and whatever else takes my fancy.
The one hour timeline is unacceptable for some folks, but if you start early, and spend that hour doing other morning chores, reading the news, etc, it goes by fast. You can also do this with a microwave set on a pretty low power setting.... 2 or 3, and it will take 10-15 minutes........ it will not fall in the sous vide jars. In the microwave I use a ramkin, and cover it. It will NOT fall if you keep it covered and cook it slowly so the "sponge" forms and firms up . The low temp prevents the rubbery egg syndrome, leaving it amazingly tender.

I now buy the discounted containers of mixed greens that are about to go off......... I can use them, when other folks cannot. I use whatever greens I buy for salads as long as they are suitable, once they approach end of life I simply process them for use in my power breakfast.

H.W.

No beer? A 8% stout maybe? Tsk Tsk Balanced meal planning required.
Eric

This guy know how to write for the food columns, I'm f*cking hungry now!

Back