Something other than an Oktoberfest with Oktoberfest yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beewrangler63

Reaction score
While visiting my LHBS, I was given a pouch of Wyeast Oktoberfest 2633 with a date of 1/05/18. I really don't want to make an Oktoberfest right now, so I thought I would ask, other than a Vienna Lager, are there any other recipes or styles that I could use this in? Something off the beaten path?

I will make a starter and overbuild so that I still have Oktoberfest yeast for future use, but I am just looking to see if anyone has ever used this yeast to make anything other than Oktoberfest or a Vienna lager.

Don't laugh, but I sampled a bottle of old speckled hen, which of course is a British mild ale, and the maltiness of it reminded me of Marzan, so perhaps something along that line would work. Of course with the appropriate grain bill and hops for the style.

Baltic Porter, Dunkel, Bock, Doppelbock could all be good options. Isn't this a blend? If so, you may get different results with the second batch from this yeast.

Back