Someone has to make a corny keg dip tube thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crushdaley

Reaction score
I've been serching for a couple months now and can't find one anywhere. I just need a Thermowell that will fit in the liquid out dip tube hole with the same flare as a dip tube or with threads that will fit where the post goes so I can ferment in a corny keg under pressure and have my temp. Probe as close to the wort as pssible. If anyone have any info or ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

You don't really want the temp probe in the liquid, unless you are using a controller like the BrewPi. With the temp probe in the keg, you will have a very long time lag between the temperature response and the chamber temperature, leading to over and under shoots in temperature. Better to tape the temp probe to the outside of the keg with a little bit of insulation over the probe (1/2" of foam.) This gives you a weighted average of the liquid temp and the chamber temp, heavily weighted towards the liquid temp, and helps prevent over/under shoots of the liquid temp.

Brew on :mug:

Not sure how the weldless Thermowell would seal to the keg post. It doesn't need to hold a high amount of presure. Only 10 or 15 psi. I have been using the temp Probe taped to outside of keg idea already. Just wanted to get a more precise read on my wort temp.

Not sure how the weldless Thermowell would seal to the keg post. It doesn't need to hold a high amount of presure. Only 10 or 15 psi. I have been using the temp Probe taped to outside of keg idea already. Just wanted to get a more precise read on my wort temp.

It wouldn't seal to the post you drill into the side of the keg. You would then still be able to use your dip tube to transfer beer out of your keg and maintain pressure.

I don't want to drill my kegs. Some how my idea seams so simple and yet I can't find anyone who feels the same way.

How about this one..
https://www.brewershardware.com/16-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell-TWS516-16.html
It's .3125"od just like the keg dip tube. You could put it in place of the diptube with o-ring, leave out the poppet valve and screw on the keg post. The only problem then being, with the valve out of the post, the narrowest point is .252" and so your temperature probe might not fit through. You could drill out the keg post ID or someone with a lathe could fix that in a jiffy. You'd have to buy a new post to revert the keg back though.

Or possibly this one as well.
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/thermowell-with-two-hole-stopper.html

If this has the same flare as a dip tube this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll call them in the morning. Thank you

Are you planing to use it for fermenting or for kegging? I use my kegs to ferment and got myself one of those keg tops with a hole drilled into it and a bung. I have a 16 in and 12 in thermowell that I put through the bung, into the keg. I then use a gas out post with tubing into some sanitizer as the air lock. This is attached to my BrewPi, and lets me get a good, accurate measurement of the wort temperature during fermentation. After, I use a little CO2 to transfer from keg to keg and let it sit for secondary or force carb. I wouldnt recommend using the keg top with hole for anything with actual pressure though. It holds tight for fermentation, but I dont see it standing up to serious pressure.

I'm going to use it for fermentating in the keg. I want to be able to ferment under pressure so the Thermowell has to be able seal to the keg. I was hoping I could replace the liquid dip tube with the Thermowell and take the poppet out of the post and feed my Inkbird temp. probe through the hole in the post down into the thermowell so I could ferment with a spunding valve on the gas post. Then after fermentation is complete I just remove the thermowell and install the dip tube for transfer to a secondary/ serving keg.

Seems like drilling the lid and silver brazing a thermowell into the lid might make the most sense. You wouldn't have to mess with swapping posts, and you could easily switch the lid between kegs.

The problem with that is that I brew 5 gallon batches and split them between 2 corny kegs so the krausen doesn't overwhelm one keg and I need the thermowell to extend down into a half filled keg witch is more than 12 inches and I'm not sure a lid would be able to be installed with this long of a thermowell

A guy I converse with tried a brew (in a plastic bucket) with a thermowell and a thermometer tape to the side and insulated. There was less than half a degree difference at the peak of fermentation. There would be even less with your metal keg. You're throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist.

Crushdaley,

I am in the same predicament: I use the Brewpi software and it short cycles my freeze when I tape/insulate the thermometer to the side of the keg. Before that I was using ferMonsters with a thermowell in the lid and all was well (no short cycling).
I am concerned with the permanent mounted thermowell in a corny lid design as we have to tilt the lid to insert into keg opening. With the thermowell permanently attached this my be impossible?
This has been the best option I have found thus far https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574808 ; will be watching thread closely. :mug:

I too have been trying to find the best way to do this. For now I am using a corny lid with a bung (AIH) with an 18' thermowell in there. I would like something that holds more pressure however.

As for the throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist theory, I haven't done thorough testing but the few time I have the delta was a few degrees and that is significant in my opinion.

Subbed

You could buy a replacement dip tube, squirt some silicone in the bottom, then fold the last inch back onto itself.

Or you could pay Jaybird to do it right.

I did message jaybird about this and he responded that he could help me with what I'm looking for. This was almost two weeks ago though. I think he is probably a very busy guy. Just wait to hear back.
Just wondering would anyone else be interested in this device or am I alone in this endevor. It seems to me that this is a no brainer idea and someone with good stainless steel welding skills could make a few bucks selling these. Unfortunately that person is not me.

I already reached out to him. Here was the conversation. I thought it was a tad much so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

--

Originally Posted by Hannabrew
Hey there. Wondering what solutions you have for adding a thermowell to a corny lid and approx costs?

Also, do you sell gas dip tubes that have been cut down to be flush with the corny keg?

Jaybird- We have done several of those lids. I think we can do a 12" thermowell it may be 10" long. The last several we have done cost $60 (I think) plus shipping. That is a new lid, hole drilled, thermowell cut, welded in and cleaned up. Comes with a new PRV and o ring for the lid. Shipping is about $10 for the box from me to you.
Yes I can cut down a gas in dip tube. We have done several of those as well. Cost of the tube is $3.99 and the guys paid $10 for us to cut them down and clean them up. How many of these are you wanting?

Let me know if you want to move forward. We are SLAMMED in the shop at the moment but can get you in line for mid next week.

Cheers
Jay

I thought it was a tad much so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

That price looks about right to me. New lids are ~20-25, a decent thermowell is probably another 10-15, and it would be hard to get any work done in a shop for under $20 if it was a one-off type thing.

I have to think the pre-made dip tube proposed by Bilsch is the most sensible, and if it is functional you could silver-solder an additional post onto your keg or into your lid:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/kegpostweld.htm

That would achieve a removable solution that is still fully gas-tight and would use the available ball-lock hardware.

That price looks about right to me. New lids are ~20-25, a decent thermowell is probably another 10-15, and it would be hard to get any work done in a shop for under $20 if it was a one-off type thing.

I have to think the pre-made dip tube proposed by Bilsch is the most sensible, and if it is functional you could silver-solder an additional post onto your keg or into your lid:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/kegpostweld.htm

That would achieve a removable solution that is still fully gas-tight and would use the available ball-lock hardware.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong...it was a tad much for me to spend on this solution I should've said. It is absolutely reasonable, as all of his stuff generally is.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong...it was a tad much for me to spend on this solution I should've said. It is absolutely reasonable, as all of his stuff generally is.

Now that I can agree with 100% - Doing it right costs money and 9/10 times I'm just too stingy!

I took a diptube, cut it to length with a standard tubing cutter,
then pounded the end shut with a hammer on a anvil added a bit of silver solder and flux
heated with a torch until it was red
filed the end off that had been closed with the hammer, smooth as can be

took a bit of time with a file, with a grinder, a minute or two.

I think you guys are missing my point. A used corny keg liquid out dip tube is $5.00. Cut it down to 16" and weld the end shut. Debur and polish. This would take maybe an hour if one knew what they were doing. Put it in the keg. Take the liquid out post and remove the poppet and install it. Run your Inkbird temp probe through it and there you go you can ferment under pressure with your thermowell in the wort. I think this would cost maybe $20 at the most.

Last edited:
I took a diptube, cut it to length with a standard tubing cutter

Did you use a tubing cutter like what is used for copper pipe?

I tried that once and it was able to FINALLY cut through 1 dip tube after about 20 minutes of turning. The brand new cutter had to be thrown out afterwards because it was so dulled. It couldn't even put an indent in the 2nd one.

(i'm one of the ones that just paid jaybird to do it, 3x thermowell lids and 15x gas dip tubes).... money well spent.

I think you guys are missing my point. A used corny keg liquid out dip tube is $5.00. Cut it down to 16" and weld the end shut. Debur and polish. This would take maybe an hour if one knew what they were doing. Put it in the keg. Take the liquid out post and remove the poppet and install it. Run your Inkbird temp probe through it and there you go you can ferment under pressure with your thermowell in the wort. I think this would cost maybe $20 at the most.

Nobody is going to work for $20/hour. On top of wages (which are at least that much) you have payroll taxes, workers comp, health insurance, sick leave, and welding gases/materials. That doesn't even touch building rent and utilities or a profit for the owner. Some people can afford that. The rest of us DIY.

I tried that once and it was able to FINALLY cut through 1 dip tube after about 20 minutes of turning. The brand new cutter had to be thrown out afterwards because it was so dulled. It couldn't even put an indent in the 2nd one.

(i'm one of the ones that just paid jaybird to do it, 3x thermowell lids and 15x gas dip tubes).... money well spent.

I’ve just used a hacksaw or a dremel, then touch up with a rattail file. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I’ve just used a hacksaw or a dremel, then touch up with a rattail file. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Did the same here
Hacksaw blades wear out after a few, but they are cheap.
I put mine in a vice with a cut piece of silicone hose around it. Definitely helps with the gas tubes to have that extra hand.

I used an old tubing cutter that was in the tool box. Have used it several times to cut dip tubes. Just a minute or two and it was through.

I have 3 of these kids. If the tube is any longer you won't be able to get it in the keg.

Only two kids here.
I think the little one could fit in keg still.

Anyway, I think rstx is referencing the lids with built in thermowells.
Not sealed keg dip tubes.

You don't really want the temp probe in the liquid, unless you are using a controller like the BrewPi. With the temp probe in the keg, you will have a very long time lag between the temperature response and the chamber temperature, leading to over and under shoots in temperature. Better to tape the temp probe to the outside of the keg with a little bit of insulation over the probe (1/2" of foam.) This gives you a weighted average of the liquid temp and the chamber temp, heavily weighted towards the liquid temp, and helps prevent over/under shoots of the liquid temp.

Brew on :mug:

FWIW I think the outside location is the way to go. I use a small Styrofoam block with a groove to house the probe and then hold that with a bungie cord against the side of the carboy or keg, easy to remove/install. :mug:

Back