Some very basic questions about my first all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mioduz

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make my first all grain brew.
Specifically this brew:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

But I have some question as I have made this before but it turned out aweful and bitter, and I had to throw it away

How long do I boil the grains before adding the hops?
Do I remove the grains, sparge, then return to boil to add hops? or are the hops all added while the grains remain in?

Thanks

I think you may be confused on the process.

I'm prepping for my first all-grain brew and suggest checking out some youtube videos on all-grain brewing.

You don't boil the grains. That will release tannins from the grains, and increase the bitterness beyond what most people will drink.

Mashing is more like steeping, in this case, at 150*F for just over 75 minutes. Your sparge temperature is 180*F. This is your wort mixture. You boil that for 60 minutes, adding the hops in a countdown style (0.5oz Centennial at 60 minutes to end of boil -- immediately, 1oz Cascade at 10 minutes to end of boil -- 50 minutes of boiling, and 1oz Cascade at 0 minutes to end of boil -- as soon as you turn the burner off).

You also want to be able to cool down the wort mixture very quickly, whether using a wort chiller, or putting your metal pot in ice-cold water. Then you can put in the yeast.

yes i am sorry i knew it was not going to boil. I know it should steep. So I will steep my grains for 75 minutes alone. Then remove the grains, sparge them, and then start the actual boil for the count down starting at 60 minutes

The Whirlfloc tablet and lemon zest go in at the same time as the hops correct? (in the same boiling process with 5 and 10 minutes remaining)

The Whirlfloc tablet and lemon zest go in at the same time as the hops correct? (in the same boiling process with 5 and 10 minutes remaining)

Yes, they are part of the same countdown as the hops.

remove the grains, sparge them

What kind of equipment are you using for the mash? Are you using a mash tun, or a grain bag in your brew pot?

Back