some help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriskkk

Reaction score
So i pressed some apples, blended about three varieties to run some test samples.
OG was 1.050 and PH was 3.7 which is good.
I think I exceeded the potassium meta by mistake and I put 1.4 grams for 5 L instead of around 0.7 grams.
splash racked it about 4 times over the course of 2 days and then pitched safale s-04.
After 18 hours, Im getting a bubble every 2 minutes.. which could be fine.
But the picture attached is giving me some hesitation that something could be wrong.
It's like a ring shape of yeast, which I haven't seen before.
Could anyone advise on what this could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_121004.jpg
    IMG_20181212_121004.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 112
So i pressed some apples, blended about three varieties to run some test samples.
OG was 1.050 and PH was 3.7 which is good.
I think I exceeded the potassium meta by mistake and I put 1.4 grams for 5 L instead of around 0.7 grams.
splash racked it about 4 times over the course of 2 days and then pitched safale s-04.
After 18 hours, Im getting a bubble every 2 minutes.. which could be fine.
But the picture attached is giving me some hesitation that something could be wrong.
It's like a ring shape of yeast, which I haven't seen before.
Could anyone advise on what this could be?

Looks fine to me. I've seen where the CO2 rises at the glass causing liquid to rise (like a convection) then sink again slightly inward from the edge. Yeast/trub that comes up with it sometimes stays on top at this 'sinking point' causing a ring. Sometimes I've seen the ring fill in and just have a clear top at the edge as well.

i had about 4, 5 liter tanks.
I have pitched different types of yeast in each and will let you know if they ferment as well/ create that ring on the surface.
Although one type was ZYMAFLORE VL1, which is wine yeast and it's pitching instructions vary a bit.
Will keep you updated

So, one of the 4 carboys has some thick foaming on the top, it's been about a week and still fermenting.
is it possible that is bacteria building up?
The rest look fine.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20181219_181009.jpg
    IMG_20181219_181009.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20181219_181020.jpg
    IMG_20181219_181020.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 38
Back