Quantcast

Solid thermometer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed an American Wheat. At mash in my thermometer (dial type) somehow got out of calibration, which I wasn't aware of until 30 mins into my mash. I was at 150°F, then next thing I know I'm at 130°F. So, I need to purchase a solid thermometer for my kettle and MT. Any recommendations?

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They are all about the same. I bought mine off Amazon for like $10 each. The high end ones may be more exact and have a longer life but if you calibrate each time with boiling water you should be close enough. Just make sure you get one that can actually be calibrated.

YeastFeast

Reaction score

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a digital oven thermometer with a probe and a long cord. I don't know what kind of mash tun you have, but I just set the thermometer on the lid and drop the probe into the mash. They can be found pretty cheap ($14 at Big Lots, $12-13 on Amazon) and can be used in an oven (NOT the actual thermometer but just the probe). Good thing they're cheap too because I melted my first one trying to use it with my keggle (don't ask, it's humiliating).