Solid thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed an American Wheat. At mash in my thermometer (dial type) somehow got out of calibration, which I wasn't aware of until 30 mins into my mash. I was at 150°F, then next thing I know I'm at 130°F. So, I need to purchase a solid thermometer for my kettle and MT. Any recommendations?

They are all about the same. I bought mine off Amazon for like $10 each. The high end ones may be more exact and have a longer life but if you calibrate each time with boiling water you should be close enough. Just make sure you get one that can actually be calibrated.

I've been using a digital oven thermometer with a probe and a long cord. I don't know what kind of mash tun you have, but I just set the thermometer on the lid and drop the probe into the mash. They can be found pretty cheap ($14 at Big Lots, $12-13 on Amazon) and can be used in an oven (NOT the actual thermometer but just the probe). Good thing they're cheap too because I melted my first one trying to use it with my keggle (don't ask, it's humiliating).

Back