Soldered a copper dip tube but its black...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
I "over" soldered my dip tube tonight because I forgot to use flux and couldn't get the solder to flow. Needless to say I ripped it back apart, used the flux and got it all together. The copper though was heated a lot. It's blackened in some places.

Can I use this or should I chuck it and resolder a cleaner dip tube? I wasn't sure if heating the copper too much could leach some chemical or something.

Thanks!

Tim

You should be able to clean it up easily with some Barkeeper's Friend and a scrubbie.

Assuming you used a flux that was rated for copper pipe you should be good. As for the "blackened" places on the copper.... well that's just where the flux had gotten too hot and has left soot on the pipe. A wire brush will take it right off. I would suggest cleaning with soap and hot water before installing to get the rest of the flux off. Next time remember to have all of your parts and flux on hand before "sweating" some parts together. Gotta be prepared! That's my two cents worth in helping out.

I seem to recall someone with the same problem and I think the suggestion was to hit it with a weak acid wash to clean it up.

I just use some emery cloth or other fine sandpaper. Shines like new.

Like this

fbdrain3.jpg

Thanks guys. I cleaned it up last night with some fine sandpaper and its nice and shiny. I just wanted to make sure you can't overheat copper to the point where it is either ruined or leaches something out of the metal.

Tim

Back