Sodium Percarbonate or 85% Alchohol for degreasing skateboard bearings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
Finally getting around to cleaning my skateboard bearings and I need the guidance of the homebrewtalk forum. Though this is not beer related, I have a hunch some of y'all know a thing or two about cleaning bearings. I understand acetone is the way to go for degreasing, but I've decided to use what I have lying around. Would a sodium percarbonate solution be bad for bearings? We use it to clean our kettles, so why not skateboard bearings? They are steel in most cases, so it seems appropriate. 85% alcohol is the other option. I'll be trying both, we'll see how it goes. Cheers and thanks for your input!

Neither really. Your inclination to use acetone was on the money or mineral spirits, paint thinner etc.

Try a great homemade gun cleaner, "Ed's Red". It is 25% acetone, 25% Automatic Transmission Fluid, 25% odorless kerosene and 25% mineral spirits. Leave out the acetone if you have any wood finishes nearby.

Another option is oil. As long as the bearing has oil, its speed is increased. However, oils evaporate; therefore, they serve less time than grease. When oil and grease cannot survive, you should consider using a solid film. However, it should only be used when the other lubricants are not available. You can find a skateboard bearing lube alternative around the home if you are in a bind, like motor oil or even canola oil, cooking oil or spray.

Hmm...when I was a teenager I'd just use wd-40...would work for a short while, then it'd need reapplication. That's how they get ya!

Just man up, do it right, spend the money, gitchoo some brake cleaner.
Works real good on bugs too.

Agree with @squibload brake cleaner ( some types are Carbon Tetrachloride ) will degrease them all right. Then you need to grease them though for them to work with any endurance and you are back to greasy bearings. Unless of course things have moved on in skateboard world and you have sealed ceramic bearings and if that's the case why worry!

Back