So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke in my new brewzilla this morning. Having the water up to strike temp already when I wake up is something I can definitely get used to! Quickest full length mash/boil brew day I've ever had. Everything went really well except the profile I was running from brewfather had way higher efficiency so my Bock will be a baby Bock, but now I know what numbers to plan for with future brews!
6368EB55-4712-49B3-882B-196DF2DDA5C7.jpeg
4635F69D-D4BB-4EA9-860E-B3E270798E0B.jpeg

PXL_20211016_193853259.MP.jpg

Brewed a Founder's Porter clone yesterday.

Lazy brew day on this one, but I think it’s going to be great. My recirculation pump (Anvil Foundry) is apparently broken, so I took wort from the bottom and poured on top 5-6 times throughout the mash to keep the temperature close to 156°F for the duration of the mash.

Did a no chill for this also as it went straight to the keg. Need to pitch yeast after Mass this morning 🤪

I think I may use this method going forward. It is quicker, and way easier to clean afterwards.

Hit my target OG of 1.062 on the nose.

Somewhere between 2.25 and 2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon keg. I hope that is enough headspace lol.

I'm also hoping it isn't too bitter due to the no chill. My recipe called for 20 minute and 0 minute additions, so I altered it and put the 20 minute additions in around 12-13 minutes.

Just mashed in a sort of cream ale, 10 gallon batch;

10# pils
5# golden promises
3# rye malt
2# flaked corn

7th strait run on US-05 yeast cake in fermentor.

Have not decided hop schedule yet, but will be using some home grown leaf cascade in any case.

I’m not sure you could pay me to drink chicha o_O
They don’t really chew the corn any more. I made a very small batch with blue corn flour in the mash and added guava nectar. The nectar made a mess in the bottles due to fluffy pulp. It didn’t taste terrible and the color was nice, but not enough to repeat and improve.

They don’t really chew the corn any more. I made a very small batch with blue corn flour in the mash and added guava nectar. The nectar made a mess in the bottles due to fluffy pulp. It didn’t taste terrible and the color was nice, but not enough to repeat and improve.

Chicha is what I think of every time I read a post by a worried rookie about a bug getting in the wort.

Brewed 11 gallons of a fairly malt forward APA yesterday. The only thing that made it interesting was that I did it in a 10 gallon pot...on my kitchen stove; like when I started all those years ago with a 4 gallon porcelain pot, extract, and top-off. 6# Vienna, 2 Munich, 1 Cara 20, 1 Breiss 60, and 6 DME. 25 IBU Magnum for bittering and 18 IBU of Cascade in later additions. Ended up with 6 gallons, three in each fermenter topped off with 2.5 gallons water. I made beer. It was fun.

Brewed 2 five gal batches yesterday. One was a saison using 3711 yeast I had in the freezer about 8 years in 3 test tubes with glycerin mix. The starter took off nicely. I had airlock activity in a couple hours after pitching it. Wound up using Cashmere and Zappa in it. Hope it works.
Last time I made a brew from some yeast in freezer like this worked well. Recommend it in times you can't get to HB store.
Also made an IPA from bottle dregs and starter of Imperial Juice. This also took off nice.

Forgot to take pics, but did the dreaded pumpkin ale last Sunday (as always, brewed exclusively by request, I'd just as soon stop making it lol).
Due to a busy day, I ended up starting the mash, doing other stuff, then not completely finishing until 9pm. Mash was going for almost 4 hours altogether, and I got great efficiency.

Brew day planned for Sunday, making my first 10 gallon batch! Decided on doing a Czech style Pilsner- split batch with Lutra in one ferment bucket, WLP San Francisco Lager in the other. Wish me luck!

Hit up the LHBS on the way home from now-done job today for adjunct grains for the next four batches; doing a Helles tomorrow, a Dead Guy clone on Monday, and next weekend a Marzen. Going to my very first pro football game on Halloween (yes I've lived in WA for 45 years and have NEVER been to a Seahawks game, OMG I can't wait) so only one brew next weekend; but with two weeks off I've got plenty of time to get the pipeline up to where it needs to be. Plenty of base malt on hand and yeast, and hop order from YVH should be here on Monday.

Brewed my California Common again this morning, definitely my most brewed recipe at this point. Hit all my numbers, efficiency dialed in, mash pH dead on, pre- and post-boil gravity dead on, volumes, etc. Feels great. I love using Brewfather (and taking copious notes).

Equipment is soaking with PBW at the moment and I've been tending the pork butt on the smoker for the last hour and prepping some chicken wings for later.

Debating whether I want to double up this weekend with a small stove top brew tomorrow to try out a new recipe.

Brewed a wee heavy, which is hopefully going to become an Oud Bruin 🤞 By far the biggest beer I've made in my 11 gallon Bayou Classic BIAB setup, with a target of 5 gallons of 11% ABV beer. Co-pitched Omega Scottish ale yeast and the dregs from a couple of bottles of Odd Breed farmhouse ale.
20211023_163027.jpg
20211017_140627.jpg
20211023_160056.jpg

A local vodka and soon to be whiskey distillery also grows their own barley. I was able to get a nice quantity for a great price. Looking to do a single malt brew next weekend to get a feel for this barley. Leaning toward cream ale but still not set.

Second brew on the brewzilla done, and my first time doing a wet hop beer. Buddy started growing some hops this year and had some cascade that we decided to pick and do a brew with. Did up an American Amber Ale as thought it would be a good vehicle for the hops.
Made a couple stupid mistakes at the start because my head was pretty foggy, but everything went pretty smoothly despite the mistakes and have it fermenting away now. Have now brewed three weekends in a row. I think that's a record for me!
1D1953EB-9477-4253-B17F-BE3E4A115375.jpeg
A0BAF4AA-103E-4EF6-B33F-380ADE8198C4.jpeg
C44419CA-96D5-48A1-821D-2167202F8CD8.jpeg
CCA0CD64-EFD7-41FC-B746-7C7DEA2F03D7.jpeg

Back