So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first brown beer. Special request from friends who wanted a caramel focused brown beer.

7# Vienna
2# 75lvb
1# 35 lvb
1# 10 lvb
1# red wheat
70 minutes @156F
Wyeast 1099 whitbread
120 minutes gentle boil
20210418_163736.jpg

Today and tomorrow left for the obligatory quarantine, so since I'm feeling a bit better did a major clean of the garage/brewspace; all boxes broken down and in the overflowing recycle bin, trash in a big contractor bag, and everything (almost) put away where it belongs. Still have to gather a bunch of tools that went astray (don't they always?) and do laundry. Lots of sit-down breaks in between, I'm not quite all there yet, but I hate sitting here idle when there are things to do. Also sipped on some more of the Bodhizafa clone that got kegged the other day, the more I have the more I like it.

I need to get a minute to brew in the next few days. My annual pale ale for the kiddo's birthday party (who knows if there will be a party this year - last year we didn't, but the keg was repurposed for a cul-de-sac, socially distanced graduation party.
I was hoping to brew today - we sent the kiddo to auntie and uncles for the day and night, |I did have to work this morning, so I was hoping to brew when I got home. Of course, SWMBO had other plans and kept me running around doing errands until a few mintues ago. Dinner just went on the grill, (salmon and green beans) so even if I got things started now it would be midnight or after by the time I was done.
Gonna have to eek out time somewhere else along the way.
|Also may need to do another one soon after per request of the other neighbor, who also has a graduation this year. He also homebrews, but wants to hedge his bets on how his comes out.

On top of brewing, I need to get the yeasts I had incubating into glycerine mix for freezing. |I can do that the same time- it's just making up the styrofoam insulator that will not be fun, and I don't want to do that with brews going.

Plan to brew a Witbier this coming weekend. 5 lbs Belgian Pilsner, 5 lbs flaked wheat, 1 lb flaked oats, and a little sauermalz for pH adjustment. I zested a few oranges, and have some Indian coriander. I don't have any noble hops on hand, but have some Triple Perle I'm interested to try in this. Will pitch Mangrove Jack's M21.

Glad I looked up a data sheet on the Pilsner malt I bought. It's Castle malt, diastatic power is on the low side, only 76 Lintner. With all the adjuncts, the mash will only average out to around 35L, so I'll add some amylase enzyme to the mash.

Wow. If my 2x Moderna vaccination gets busted by a variant I'd be happy to do half as well getting back as you have so far :)

Cheers!
I like to think it's all the vitamin B I get from the yeast....at least that's what I keep telling myself. and I meant to post this in what I did for beer today, oops.

Last weekend I brewed two beers (haven't done that in a long time). 1. all marris otter with 2 oz cascade at 60 then 1 oz Kohatu at 10 and FO with Omega Hornidal Kveik at 85* 2. all pilsner with 2 oz cascade at 60 then 1 oz Hal Mit at 10 and FO with Omega Hothead Kveik at 85* The pils is in a Fermonster and still has a inch of krausen. I wonder if I need to be concerned. I heard these yeasts were fast.

Taking today day off from work to brew an IPA. It's one I've brewed a couple times before, hopped with Citra and Idaho7. Changing up the yeast though, it'll be my first time using Verdant.
Not a great start to the brew day. Due to my schedule I didn't have any time to do anything ahead of time. I usually mill the grains, measure out the minerals, lug all my equipment from the garage...etc.

So I go to measure minerals and my scale goes wonky. Will not zero out, and actually just keeps increasing. New batteries didn't help. Ended up using my grain scale, and although it does have the ability to measure grams, I'm sure it's far less accurate. Ordered a new one off Amazon.

Went to use my ThermoWorks thermometer (12 inch probe) and it has dead batteries. LR44...yeah like I have one of those handy. Luckily I do have an InkBird instant read so I was able to use that instead. Half way through mash I realized I hadn't added the lactic acid. Opened up the kettle, added the LA, gave it a good stir and checked the temperature. Sitting at 152 degrees, at least something went as planned.

It's already 12:30pm and I'm still mashing. I'm usually near the end of my boil by now. Gonna be a longer brew day.

Not enough grain to do anything today, so going shopping later for full bags of pilsner and two-row, and some special B to do a batch of house American Strong tomorrow. It is literally the best beer I brew, and I've been jonesing for some lately. Currently 5 kegs in the kegerator in varying stages of almost-to-not-even-close to being empty, so I've got some "work" to do today to make a space for the lemondrop blonde that gets kegged next; just purged the o2 out of the house lager that I just kegged. Tomorrow is going to be a good day.

Well, i've had barley sprouts drying since yesterday afternoon. should be ready to kiln tonight, and still warm from kilning to go through the mill tomorrow for an interesting experimental batch.

i put aside about 1-2 pounds of the sprouts, to sprout further to see if @lanlanonearth 's wheat grass question gets me better effeciency on this batch, and if it ends up tasting like lawn trimings or not...(and it's going to be tested with my spiffy new digital refractometer, so you know it's good! ;))

:mug:

Brewed a Canadian Ale today. First time using RO water and trying to adjust the water. I've always used just regular tap water. I will admit I have no idea what I'm doing but hoping for some improvement. Just doesn't click for me on what I need to do or add to the water so I just went with some general addition that was recommended. We'll see how it turns out.
2F7493E6-1657-450F-9109-DA0D960A1512.jpeg
65314511-D668-4CBE-9471-7A39F264203A.jpeg
395390B2-531E-4C77-8E88-641E986ADC40.jpeg
DEE722F9-4F30-48B5-9DDD-F568FF36F2F2.jpeg

I will admit I have no idea what I'm doing but hoping for some improvement. Just doesn't click for me on what I need to do or add to the water so I just went with some general addition that was recommended. We'll see how it turns out.

I always direct people to take a quick look at this, and try this first. There's a whole deep tawdry rabbit hole to go down with water, pH, etc. Almost as tawdry as low dissolved oxygen. Ok, maybe not, but kinda.

Changed my mind on the recipe for tomorrow; got to thinking I'm getting a wee bit tired of brewing the same things over and over, so I'm going way back in the time machine and brewing up a clone of Firestone Walker's Wookie Jack. I did it once a few years ago, before I had the fancy (har) setup I have now, and it still turned out pretty good. Now, with the plate chiller to get it down far enough, and the ferment fridge to keep it steady, it should be stellar. Been futzing with the recipe all evening and finally got it where I want it, just need to get the grain milled. Also get to be a bit lazy; was supposed to keg the lemondrop blonde today, but since it's sitting on a nice fresh cake of Notty (yes I know not the optimum yeast for WJ), I'm just going to keg it tomorrow and rack right onto it. It's a big enough beer to warrant a bit of overpitching, also as aforesaid I'm lazy.

Latest posts

Back