So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I share a lot and I drink a bit. I send some to friends and family. However, from time to time I end up with too much beer.🤠
I should get 8 cases out of this batch.

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_111502_2.jpg
    IMG_20210331_111502_2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
I’ll be brewing up a new Belgian Tripel recipe this weekend. I didn’t get into brewing until well into the pandemic. This weekend will be the first time that my father (75) will be joining me for a brew day. Until this point he has only been enjoying the brews through non contact drops. Now that we are both vaccinated, he’s coming to help. Can’t wait.

I’ll be brewing up a new Belgian Tripel recipe this weekend. I didn’t get into brewing until well into the pandemic. This weekend will be the first time that my father (75) will be joining me for a brew day. Until this point he has only been enjoying the brews through non contact drops. Now that we are both vaccinated, he’s coming to help. Can’t wait.

That’s awesome, I hope you guys have a great time brewing together. My intro to brewing was helping my Dad at a brew your own shop years ago, and I only just gave in to the bug and started homebrewing last year. Great memories and would love to brew with him again.

First NEIPA on my agenda for Monday. Amarillo first wort and flame out. Then 4 shots of Citra Galaxy and Mosaic.

this arrived today so that I can do a closed transfer to the keg. I will use a ball lock quick disconnect connected to a hose for the blow off. And I have the floating tube kit for the closed transfer. The biggest O2 risk will be dry hopping. I plan on streaming in CO2 while I quickly open the lid part way and drop in the hop bags (and use fishing line tied to a small piece of styrofoam for fast removal ).

97FCB66D-333C-4C75-99BB-611B3415166B.jpeg

First NEIPA on my agenda for Monday. Amarillo first wort and flame out. Then 4 shots of Citra Galaxy and Mosaic.

this arrived today so that I can do a closed transfer to the keg. I will use a ball lock quick disconnect connected to a hose for the blow off. And I have the floating tube kit for the closed transfer. The biggest O2 risk will be dry hopping. I plan on streaming in CO2 while I quickly open the lid part way and drop in the hop bags (and use fishing line tied to a small piece of styrofoam for fast removal ).

View attachment 724430
I have the same setup but without the spigot and mine is a 7gallon fermonster. Works great! I agree that the DH is the time that you are most at risk for oxidizing and streaming CO2 in through the liquid floating dip tube is the best solution here. But why are you using DH bags? Is it to cut down on losses? The only reason why I ask is that using the bags that you want to remove quickly still requires yet another time you need to unscrew the cap i.e. risk of oxidation. Ive always done DH loose and I do two of them. Without the bags, you will have more losses, but I always thought to myself a little bit more loss can be accounted for by putting more wort in on the front end. Cheers and good luck with this new fermenter! They are great!

Halfway through the mash on a modified clone of Georgetown Bodhizafa, same one that one me a gold & silver last year. Peeved at my scores from the last IPA I entered in a comp (too thin, not enough carb, needs more hops) so I'm slamming the heck out of this one with late additions of Citra Lupomax and Mosaic. Upping the flaked oats from .5lb to 1lb should help a bit too. Kudos to my husband for making a side trip on his way home yesterday for the oats, only thing I didn't have on hand for this batch.

I have the same setup but without the spigot and mine is a 7gallon fermonster. Works great! I agree that the DH is the time that you are most at risk for oxidizing and streaming CO2 in through the liquid floating dip tube is the best solution here. But why are you using DH bags? Is it to cut down on losses? The only reason why I ask is that using the bags that you want to remove quickly still requires yet another time you need to unscrew the cap i.e. risk of oxidation. Ive always done DH loose and I do two of them. Without the bags, you will have more losses, but I always thought to myself a little bit more loss can be accounted for by putting more wort in on the front end. Cheers and good luck with this new fermenter! They are great!

Thank for the post. The recipe off which I was basing (BYO ) was using a multiple step dry hop removing each one when you added the next batch, so your post got new back to google and back to BYO to an article by Neil Fisher of Weldworks who says they leave their dry hops on for 8 - 9 days. So I think I’ll just dump them and then on day 8 Keg and condition.

Not brewing this weekend, but may be doing some trading with my Father-In-Law for a freezer in exchange for the too small mini fridge that I bought the other day thinking I could get my new kegs and CO2 tank to fit in it. (lesson learned- always take measurrements before buying a fridge for brewing purposes)

Brewed my first Czech Pilsner yesterday. Tryna hit 55 with the Ball-and-Keg cooling coil in an uninsulated Speidel 30L. Might make it If I stay on top of the ice swap.View attachment 724640

Nice. I kegged my first Czech Pilsner, an Urquell clone, yesterday. I had it 3 weeks in the primary. I like your set up.

Last edited:
Nice. I kegged my first Czeck Pilsner, an Urquell clone, yesterday. I had it 3 weeks in the primary. I like your set up.
Now I just gotta convince the wife to swap ice for me while I’m at work. So far, if I want the temp to drop steadily its like every 2 or 3 hours.

Now I just gotta convince the wife to swap ice for me while I’m at work. So far, if I want the temp to drop steadily its like every 2 or 3 hours.

If your wife gets annoyed enough with swapping out bottles every few hours, you could start dropping hints about how much easier a glycol chiller would be. Just saying...

Brewed my first Czech Pilsner yesterday. Tryna hit 55 with the Ball-and-Keg cooling coil in an uninsulated Speidel 30L. Might make it If I stay on top of the ice swap.View attachment 724640
I also have a Speidel 30L fermenter and I'm curious as to your setup in the picture.
I've got one of these and although I've never tried to reach 55 degrees I can easily reach 60 degrees by swapping three 3L frozen water bottles out every 12 hours during active fermentation. I'm thinking by swapping out 4 of them every 8 hours or so 55 degrees would be obtainable.

I also have a Speidel 30L fermenter and I'm curious as to your setup in the picture.
I've got one of these and although I've never tried to reach 55 degrees I can easily reach 60 degrees by swapping three 3L frozen water bottles out every 12 hours during active fermentation. I'm thinking by swapping out 4 of them every 8 hours or so 55 degrees would be obtainable.
This is my first try with the B&K and the Speidel. The #9 stopper is actually too big for the hole in the cap and I had to get mean with it to make it fit. I also used too small a cooler for the reservoir. If I had something that would take gallon milk jugs instead of water bottles it should cut back on the swap interval. My pump is a cheap $10 fountain thing with minimal flow too. Next try will be more serious. I’m gonna work out a better fit for the stopper, insulation for the 30L, larger reservoir and a better submersible pump.. I have reached 56 but 55 has eluded me so far. That glycol setup is looking better all the time. I just haven’t figured out if I’m serious enough about lagers to spend the money.
**Yeah... after some research, I don’t see that happening unless it’s a deal on a used one.

Last edited:
Not sure you are in the right spot for your question. From what I get it sounds like fermentation is happening, but no bubbles from the airlock. If this is correct my best guess is that there is a leak in the system somewhere and the CO2 is getting out that way. ☘
I feel like using potasium sorbate is my mistake at the biginning while that to use stabilise the wine after fermentation get over. Now in other batches that;s going good. Bubbling also happning in new batch. Will update as it's done.

Thanks for the link; I recently acquired one of these but it won't fit in my fermentation chamber without modification. Morebeer sells a coolstix system made for the spiedel 30L but they want quite a bit of green for it. This jacket looks like a great solution.

Going a bit off piste this weekend with Enzymes and will brew a weldwerks fitbits clone and a brut ipa. The cloudy and the clear.
Bit of a challenge, Kveiking both of them so it'll be a hot one. The brut IPA gets the fridge first I think as the weather is cooling here and should be able to get the hops to drop in the fitbits ( I hope ) .

Back