So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Irish red today.
My Saaz hops have been in the freezer since 2017, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Irishred.jpg

I freed up one of my mini 1 gallon kegs last night, so this afternoon I brewed a double IPA to fill it. been meaning to brew this one forever but kept getting pushed back by other season specific brews I wanted instead. Doing it hot with Kveik so should turn around pretty quick.

Brews a 6g AG batch of my clone of Three Taverns Night in Brussels/Night on Ponce with my daughter.
pitched half with US-05 and half with Lallemand Belgian Abbaye.
We nailed the numbers.

Long weekend :)

Doing Yet Another NEIPA, so far smooth as butter. The rig has been on cruise during the recirculation, haven't touched a knob in a half hour...

20210222_104554.jpg

Fly sparge started...

20210222_115149.jpg

One point on the plus side of pre-boil gravity, now whirlpooling lots of hops! :)

20210222_143621.jpg

Kettles and rig cleaned, carboys filled, yeast pitched, O2 applied, all hooked up to the keg purging system and ready to go!
Well, except those two loose clamps I just noticed in the pic :)

galaxy_6_02feb2021.jpg

Time for a just reward! :D

julius_02feb2021.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Long weekend :)

Doing Yet Another NEIPA, so far smooth as butter. The rig has been on cruise during the recirculation, haven't touched a knob in a half hour...

View attachment 719640

Fly sparge started...

View attachment 719645

One point on the plus side of pre-boil gravity, now whirlpooling lots of hops! :)

View attachment 719656

Kettles and rig cleaned, carboys filled, yeast pitched, O2 applied, all hooked up to the keg purging system and ready to go!
Well, except those two loose clamps I just noticed in the pic :)

View attachment 719679

Time for a just reward! :D

View attachment 719681

Cheers!

What do you have on the tail end of the purging process for the last keg? A PRV or airlock? Are you getting slight pressure in the kegs or anywhere in the system?
Thanks!

I submerge that last tubing run a few inches deep in a quart mason jar of plain water. I like to see the bubbles :)
From a previous brew:

1614044410931.png

Using yeast that's only a few days old, today's batch is already starting to bubble. I like that, too :)

Cheers!

Was going to brew this week, an American Wheat, but my hops are in FedEx limbo...stuck in that "Pending deliver" loop...been six days since they left Yakima Valley and they are only in Spokane now. So doubt they will make it to Mass in time...so going to have to get crappy repackaged LHBS shops that are in just plastic bags.

Im going to try the imperial stout this weekend, gonna take a few days just to make the starter. My hefe dunkel was a total fail and really broke my heart. Came out the COMPLETE opposite of what i was going for.

LHBS was out of two-row due to missed delivery during the snowstorm last week, but she did have Canadian Pils. So my planned usual House American Strong recipe got a bit of an overhaul; usual recipe is 16lbs two-row and 2lb Special B, this time went with 12lbs Pilsner, 2lbs light Munich, and 2lbs special B. Should turn out interesting if not as strong as the usual suspect. Smells divine in the mash tun. Still debating on the hops; usual is Chinook, but I've got a ton of el Dorado that I need to use, so might go with a mix of that and Chinook. Dunno yet, plenty of time in hand to decide.

Well, after a solid month of daytime temperatures in the teens we've had upper 30's and 40's for the past week. With highs expected to be in the upper 40's today I had planned this as my first brew day of 2021. I went out to the garage (unheated) to do some prep work yesterday (high 45°) and found the hose I use to supply water from the house to the garage still frozen. Then I found that I had left a bit of water in the HLT and my HERMS coil was frozen in place. So... no brew day for me today.

Belgian Blonde
Beer, I assume?

If my grain buster gets here tomorrow, I'll step up some WLP051, bust my 13 lbs of kernels, wash the new BIABbag, clean the new 11-gal pot/basket, rig up the ladder frame and pulley system, and brew up a 5- or 6-gallon batch of Against the Grain California-style Pale Ale...my first all-grain batch. Hopping with Citra (long) and Hersbrucker (short) for a balanced hop profile.

If not, I'll just push it back a week.

Last edited:
Me. I will brew the White Labs "Crazy 4 Cali" (California Common) beer from the September 2020 BYO.

However, when working on the recipe, I notice someone f*cked up the recipe. 0.6 lb Northern Brewer hops at 60 minutes! 1 lb of Northern Brewer hops at 15 minutes! 0.6 lb Northern Brewer hops at 5 minutes! No, the hop charges are incorrect. Correct are 0.6 ounces at 60 minutes, 0.1 ounces at 15 minutes and 0.6 ounces at 5 minutes.

Recipe scaled to my brewhouse/mash efficiency. Everything is ready to go.

Beer, I assume?

If my grain buster gets here tomorrow, I'll step up some WLP051, bust my 13 lbs of kernels, wash the new BIABbag, clean the new 11-gal pot/basket, rig up the ladder frame and pulley system, and brew up a 5- or 6-gallon batch of Against the Grain California-style Pale Ale...my first all-grain batch. Hopping with Citra (long) and Hersbrucker (short) for a balanced hop profile.

If not, I'll just push it back a week.
The Belgian Blonde is my beer, the Polish blonde is my wife.

Last time I brewed I measured the grain for two brews, ended up only doing one, so the unmilled second batch is sitting in one of my bins, totally forgot what's in it or what I wanted to call it, but it will make beer. Using Voss slurry for the yeast. :mug:

Likely brewing my last beer. Making 12.6 gallons of Doppelbock to be freeze condensed to Eisbock in the fall. It is the same recipe that I am entering into NHC 2021. I've gotten to the point that I make beer, compete, and give it away but don't drink it anymore. Currently drink homemade carbonated mineral waters at the rate of at least a gallon a day and even more in the hot summers. Maybe I should see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist.

Likely brewing my last beer. Making 12.6 gallons of Doppelbock to be freeze condensed to Eisbock in the fall. It is the same recipe that I am entering into NHC 2021. I've gotten to the point that I make beer, compete, and give it away but don't drink it anymore. Currently drink homemade carbonated mineral waters at the rate of at least a gallon a day and even more in the hot summers. Maybe I should see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist.
Lots of pro brewers don't drink. If it's a fun hobby for you, then who cares!

I'm bottling my Centennial IPA on Saturday and brewing the same recipe again, but with Citra. I might use a bit of Centennial for bittering - that'll be a game time decision.

Mashed in on what I'm calling a Munich WF lager (yes I brew a LOT of WF lager). Current lager is going to kick in the next couple of days, I've got other beers on tap but I really love a nice crisp lager for daily drinking. About to jump in the car to go get more propane; was supposed to go last night but another week of 11+ hour days at work and I was just too tired. Leisurely brewday today.

Thinking about swapping out the Pilsner in my rye saison for Munich II because I have a ton of it to try and use. Could work, could be a disaster. Thoughts?
5.5 g batch
10lb Munich II
2.5lb rye malt
.5oz magnum (60 min)
.5oz Centennial (10 min)
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

I'm bottling my Centennial IPA on Saturday and brewing the same recipe again, but with Citra. I might use a bit of Centennial for bittering - that'll be a game time decision.

Went straight Citra, hit the OG.
EA41FB61-5ACD-45E1-B1F9-4C423E92D759.jpeg

Pitched some Imperial A07 washed from the last batch. Just took a look and it’s bubbling away. Successful weekend.

Brewed a British strong ale.
F-ed up a bit with my scale, it can be a bit iffy when measuring really low weights so I usually put something on it and just check the total weight to get what I need( a small bowl at 150g+0.8g of calcium sulfate=150.8 g total etc) but I tared it with my cup on it today resulting in almost twice as much caso4 as needed...
Then I forgot to stir my mash and let it sit for a while after adding the sparge water, leading to quite a drop en efficiency. Got an OG of 1.068 instead of intended 1.074. But it's starting to ferment and it it's not that bad of a drop so I think it will come out allright in the end, just a bit bummed it didn't go as intended just because of stupid misstakes that could be easily avoided.
Hey, at least my starter turned out good...

Started a vitality starter yesterday morning in the wee hours of my harvested WLP005, didn't have high hopes for it, decided to get some 1968 and pitch it in to create my house strain. Let it spin overnight and then knocked out a brew day of my Fuller's London Pride clone this morning since the infant had my up anyways. OG 1.051, predicted FG 1.012
IMG_20210307_100006895.jpg
IMG_20210307_102026660.jpg

Back