So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning on brewing what has become my house ipa on Friday. I generally hop it with Citra and Idaho7, but this time I'm also going to add some Galaxy as well.
Also this will be my first time using Kveik (Voss). Last weekend I made a 2-step starter and man that stuff is insane. The 2nd step took off in under an hour, and was trying to escape within 3hrs. Spun in suspension for around 36 hours and then completely dropped out almost immediately.
I personally love the voss kviek with idaho 7. Nice "orange" forward combo.

Brewing a Bullwinkle Brown right now. Drinking a HB Mosaic SMaSH.
CB67D8A6-3716-4476-9ACB-29E8BC04C711.jpeg

Time for my second batch on the new brew system. Going for an easy Hefe, with WLP380. After this one, I'll wait until I can taste the first two to see if it tastes like beer.....

Fingers crossed

Tomorrow I plan to make a quick turn around beer. About 4% 6# marris otter and 2# Munich.

The brewery is torn apart, the floor is being fixed for the second time. So I have to move it all back into the room half set it up and drag it back out... but i need to get a few kegs going so I can get back to more well planned beers.

Me, me, me... Brewing on Saturday. Recipe all set. Grain milled on Friday. I'm ready and able to "rock 'n roll" again... ahem... brew again.

Attempting to brew, from what I remember, a Stroh's from the 1970's.

Went well. Hope I got it right. (By chance anyone have a Stroh's recipe from the 1970s?). 11.4 gallons split between 2 fermonster wide mouth fermenters. Each fermenter is in it's own beverage center set at 48F.

Last edited:
Harpoon ipa clone on left Sunday morning, castle island keeper in the afternoon, double brew Sunday lol

Attachments

• 76231950-D202-4418-BB89-D07ABAB26A5D.jpeg
    76231950-D202-4418-BB89-D07ABAB26A5D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Brewed a tropical ipa on Friday hopped with Citra Galaxy, and Idaho7, (bittered with an oz of Nugget), and pitched a tablespoon of Voss Kveik slurry. It hit FG, 1.013, today, in about 72 hours, (hydro sample tasted great!!). On Saturday and Sunday the whole room, and even down the hall, smelled of wonderful orange/pineapple. Going to dry hop tomorrow and then keg on Thursday or Friday. If not for dry hopping I could have kegged this one today.

First time using Kveik yeast, and first time using one of these from NorCal Brewing.

IMG-0069.jpg

Last edited:
I reused my Kviek yeast but was unsure about using a tablespoon so I went with what I’ve done in the past with other yeasts - slurried the mason jar and added all of it. Was your yeast “new” or reused? Agree with how fast the yeast works - starts after ~4-5 hours and aggressive for about 36 hours.

I reused my Kviek yeast but was unsure about using a tablespoon so I went with what I’ve done in the past with other yeasts - slurried the mason jar and added all of it. Was your yeast “new” or reused? Agree with how fast the yeast works - starts after ~4-5 hours and aggressive for about 36 hours.
Mine? It was really new, like 9 days from being packaged the day I brewed.

Last edited:
So I brewed up my IPA the other day. I still need to dial in my mill - I think it's crushing too small.
But otherwise no issues through the brew day.
My yeast starter came back to life nicely, it took off like gangbusters once pitched. It ended up being about 5 degrees warmer than I really like; it's been so hot and humid here it's hard to get back to my preferred temps without a fermentation chamber. Maybe I'll look into something... gotta be some cheap fridges out there someplace that will work. I did rig up a swamp cooler Monday night, though.
I actually had to rig up a blowoff tube last night - only about the second or thrird time I've had to do that in 10+ years of brewing. Hoping it's not too warm and get too many fusels in there -
I'll give it another week to 10 days, then when I toss in my dryhops I'll take a sample.

Birthday this Sunday and a week booked off work
A few days away but will do BIAB pale of some description on Monday, using RO water for first time
Have a ill ordered but probably won't be here in time, lots of crushed grains mind

Mine? It was really new, like 9 days from being packaged the day I brewed.
So you just used a tablespoon from the fresh pack and saved the rest? I used all of my original pack for my brew, then captured it for reuse and used the entire mason jar slurry. Maybe I way overpitched? First brew tasted good.

So you just used a tablespoon from the fresh pack and saved the rest? I used all of my original pack for my brew, then captured it for reuse and used the entire mason jar slurry. Maybe I way overpitched? First brew tasted good.
No, I spun up a basic yeast starter from the entire packet. After 24 hours (while still spinning it dropped clear), I put the flask in the fridge overnight, then decanted ~75% of the "beer." I then boiled another batch of DME in water, cooled it and added it to the yeast in the flask. Spun that up another 36 hours. Again it dropped clear while spinning at a pretty good rate, and overflowing the flask!! I then put the flask in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Decanted 75% of the "beer" swirled it and poured the slurry evenly into four 8oz sterilized Mason jars. Put all four into the fridge, pulled one out the next day. Decanted half the beer, swirled the slurry and pitched one TBS into 6 gallons of wort. I actually removed two TBS of slurry, but the first one didn't quite make it into the fermenter (story for another day). Went from 1.063 to 1.013 in 72 hours fermenting at 85° Dry hopping now. Thursday I'll keg it, and should be able to pull my first pint over the weekend.

Last edited:
Huh. I first open the pack and pour into the cooled wort. After capturing yeast from previous brew, I open the mason jar, decant some of the liquid, swirl the rest and pitch. Brewing 25 years and have never made a starter, but, I am also very lazy.

Got a starter spinning for a Cascade SMaSH. Need to keg a bock I haver lagering and have a cider that is just about done. I need to can the remainder of an IPA that the keg is almost kicked and can a few gallons of a Saison and Stout. Busy weekend in the brewery this weekend. Looking forward to it all.

Stroh's Clone, Lager
Batch 5.5 (4) gal

8# Pilsner malt (5.84#)
2# flacked corn (1.46#)
.5# Belgian Aromatic malt (.365#)
x # Extra light DME - to 5.2% ABV

(or 100% Vienna malt)

1 oz Saaz 60 min 14.2 IBU (.73 oz)
1 oz Saaz 20 min 5.4 IBU (.73 oz)
½ oz Saaz 10 min 1.6 IBU (.365 oz)
½ oz Saaz 2 min .4 IBU (.365 oz)

for ~22 IBU

2 pks Saflager W34/70 (14 g)

Mash and ferment as for Vienna Lager

Been slowing down my brewing a bit due to drinking too much, but did up a batch of an IPA today. My house American IPA recipe started as a Racer 5 clone and has been tweaked a bit. I brew it with a mix of classic American hops, but I was curious how it would be with some more fruity/tropical hops.

Grain bill is 85.7% Pale Malt, 8.9% White Wheat Malt, 5.4% Crystal 20. I went with 28 IBUs of Warrior, a flameout addition of 5 oz (2 oz Mosaic, 1.5 oz Azacca, 1.5 oz El Dorado) with a planned dry hop of the same amount and combo.

I usually just live with the volume loss for hoppy beers, but I decided that a 30 min boil would give me a little more headroom in my 10 gal kettle. I may have over adjusted as I ended up with 5.9 gals into the fermenter (but there is quite a bit of trub and hop debris that made it into there as well).

20200719_130323 - Copy.jpg

Stroh's Clone, Lager
Batch 5.5 (4) gal

8# Pilsner malt (5.84#)
2# flacked corn (1.46#)
.5# Belgian Aromatic malt (.365#)
x # Extra light DME - to 5.2% ABV

(or 100% Vienna malt)

1 oz Saaz 60 min 14.2 IBU (.73 oz)
1 oz Saaz 20 min 5.4 IBU (.73 oz)
½ oz Saaz 10 min 1.6 IBU (.365 oz)
½ oz Saaz 2 min .4 IBU (.365 oz)

for ~22 IBU

2 pks Saflager W34/70 (14 g)

Mash and ferment as for Vienna Lager

Thanks. Very similar/identical to Scotts Stroh Beer miss identified as Pre-Prohibition Porter.

brewgr.com/recipe/9622/scotts-stroh-beer-classic-american-pilsner-recipe

Heading out to Boise in the morning to visit the daughter and son-in-law, so since I had to do some shopping today anyway bought the juice to make a batch of the House Cherry/Apple cider. Haven't done it in several months, and don't know why; took less than 15 minutes from sanitizing the fermonster to setting the controller after placing it in the ferment fridge. Almost took longer to take the empties to recycle than it did to make it. Used some kveiking slurry for the yeast, had just enough left to pitch a good amount but not overpitch; didn't want to go the underpitch route because don't want to get the superfruity esters it can kick out. Not going to ferment it hot, either; controller is set at 74.5, just warm enough that the heat lamp won't be needed and the yeast should do what they are supposed to. SG came out at 1.045, hoping to get at least 1.008 FG out of it for a nice dry-ish cider. 10 minutes post-pitch the airlock was already bubbling, this is gonna be fun.

I brewed a beer with Lager yeast but going to ferment warm for 2 days at room temperature and then transfer to fridge for cool fermentation. The idea is to have vigorous fermentation initially under pressure and then bring to more lager style temperatures. Done on home made brew kettle and not using usual gear.
Here's the recipe:

Batch size: 23 litres
Pilsner malt: 1 KG
Home made 6 row barley pale ale malt: 2.5 KG
Home made wheat malt: 1 KG
Rolled oats: 250 gm
OG: 1.044
Hops: 1.5 oz Amarillo at 60 minutes
Hops: 1.5 oz Cashmere for dry hopping after 3-4 days of fermentation
Fermolager W Brewing Yeast. Made a 500ml starter with a pinch of DAP, jaggery. The starter took off immediately foaming up.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Brewing sort of a free beer this weekend.
After much coaxing, I am brewing a beer for someone else.
He bought the grains/etc. I do all the work and keep half the beer.
It is a Caribous Slobber clone.

Back