So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipe sounds good. Consider using a bit of acid malt? IMO, this give the Pils "bite".
I have never used acid malt but now I'm intrigued. Might consider it for the next one. To be truthful, the "bite" I get from the lager yeast is pretty much what I want with my lagers, but I'm always willing to try something new.

BEA469B2-911C-40F0-8B88-DF8C33CCF5CF.jpeg
First hop addition in.

I put together a saison today.

Pale malt, white wheat malt, caravienne, Centennial hops. Belle Saison yeast. OG 1.051. This yeast usually goes to 1.000 for me if not a bit lower.

Warm weather is here. Saison it is.

For many years I used a chill box to ferment in. It was a cardboard box with all sides lined with "Reflectix" insulation. Holding 12F below ambient wasn't a problem just changing out a one liter frozen water bottle twice a day.

Bought a "Cool Brewing" fermentation jacket and trashed my box. The bag just doesn't stay as cold as the box did. Probably going to cut some Reflectix to line the bag while I'm using it.

I like the bag. It's water tight. Collapses so it's easy to store. VERY well made. Just not quite cold enough.

Brewing a Dortmunder Export Lager. Had planned on something else, but family stopped by, I ran out of 2 row, and things just got too complicated. I had enough for this, and it's something I've been wanting to try.
20200627_160849.jpg

Just connected up to the chiller and pitched bell's harvested yeast into a Two Hearted Clone. Up'd the hop schedule a bit from the official recipe cause i had some lower than usual AA% Centennial hops.

Bought a 6'er of Two Hearted last month as hadn't had in awhile and forgot how good it was. Built up the yeast from the last 2 bottles and decided to brew it up myself.

Looking forward to getting this one kegged up and on tap soon. Wishing i'd done it last week to have on tap for 4th of July weekend, but oh well. (just hope my NEIPA keg hangs on thru the holiday weekend:oops:)

Looking to do a brown ale. Won a bronze last time I did it. Made some tweaks to the recipe accordingly, not that it'll be entered in any competitions.

Woke up to rain, decided to scramble a batch of my imperial chocolate stout with its 42 pound grain bill. Gonna run late but wth...

Cheers!

how big is your mash pot?
my BIAB pot is 15 gallons and 10 gallon batches of session ales are putting me at max if I want to do a full mash.
I want to make 10 gallons of milk chocolate stout for the winter next month and I don't see that happening in my little pot.

Ambitious brewday planned this weekend... My brother and I are combining our breweries and our inaugural recipe is a double batch (10 gallons) of Westvleteren 12 clone! Then, to add another degree of difficulty we will partigyle a third batch.

Yay, beer!

Got 'er done and everything cleaned up and put away just in time for dinner. What a beast! Picked up a bonus OG point as well :ban:
This will be my first run of a CO2 collection and keg purging system I put together. Gas lines merged and run out the back...

stout7_30jun2020_2.jpg

...and connects to the Out port on the first keg, which is daisy chained In port to Out port on the second keg, In Port exhaust line to a bubbler bottle. If I can keep this beast of a stout under control it should get interesting soon :)

stout7_30jun2020_3.jpg

Cheers!

Got 'er done and everything cleaned up and put away just in time for dinner. What a beast! Picked up a bonus OG point as well :ban:
This will be my first run of a CO2 collection and keg purging system I put together. Gas lines merged and run out the back...

View attachment 687413

...and connects to the Out port on the first keg, which is daisy chained In port to Out port on the second keg, In Port exhaust line to a bubbler bottle. If I can keep this beast of a stout under control it should get interesting soon :)

View attachment 687414

Cheers!

You’re gonna need a bigger bottle. :cool:

I'm certainly hoping that thing bubbles like mad over the next few days :)
My concern is 1.108 beer with two packs of S04 per carboy getting out of control and plugging up the skinny (5mm ID) tubing with krausen.
But I have a fallback already put together: a half gallon PET jug with a pair of 1/2" ID blow-offs and a PTC fitting for the output...

keg_purge_system_11.jpg

If I have to I'll use this through the throes of early fermentation then switch back to the original connections. I figure the bottle will "katch the krausen" and let the CO2 move along to the kegs...

Cheers!

how big is your mash pot?
my BIAB pot is 15 gallons and 10 gallon batches of session ales are putting me at max if I want to do a full mash.
I want to make 10 gallons of milk chocolate stout for the winter next month and I don't see that happening in my little pot.

Those are all 20 gallon kettles, and there was just 2 inches of free board in the mlt while recirculating. Pre-boil volume is 14 gallons so there's plenty of room in the boil kettle, but yeah, your mash tun isn't going to get there.

That said, I brew one of these for like 10 batches of pales/ipas/neipas/wheats. At 11% abv (minimum - I've had it finish at 1.018 which puts it close to 12%) I have just a short pour every evening to knock my @ss into bed. You might consider doing a smaller batch to enjoy rather than not doing a batch at all :)

Cheers!

Brewery is all set up and ready for tomorrow's brew day. All the water salts are set and my pre mash ph has been adjusted and ready to go. Going to brew a German Hefeweizen and take my time and do a decoction. This is a recipe that I have tweaked to a point that the last time I brewed it the beer was truly outstanding, and some people that tried it thought it was just like the Hef's they had in Germany. So I hope I can replicate it again!

John

Those are all 20 gallon kettles, and there was just 2 inches of free board in the mlt while recirculating. Pre-boil volume is 14 gallons so there's plenty of room in the boil kettle, but yeah, your mash tun isn't going to get there.

That said, I brew one of these for like 10 batches of pales/ipas/neipas/wheats. At 11% abv (minimum - I've had it finish at 1.018 which puts it close to 12%) I have just a short pour every evening to knock my @ss into bed. You might consider doing a smaller batch to enjoy rather than not doing a batch at all :)

Cheers!

you do make a good point.
why make a bunch of one beer that needs time in the keg for winter when I can make a bunch of different beers that need time in the keg for the winter.

I made 10% saison with Ariana hops that you honestly couldn't tell was that high an ABV. until halfway through the glass. so I know what you mean.

fwiw, the capture/keg purge system is alive! :ban:
Bottle is bubbling away merrily while I'm keeping the S04 under control at 65°F wort temp.
Plenty of history with this brew says if I were to let it get to 66°F all hell will break loose, so a tight rein it is :)

I had not considered how elastic the system would be, but given the two fermenters' head space at one end, and two empty kegs at the other end, if I submerge the vent line more than a few millimetres the bubbling changes from constant to short bursts separated by minutes of compression.

When I got up this morning that line was fully submerged under around 8" of water and there was zero bubbling going on, while the fermenters were starting to do their thing. Freaked me out, so I did a quick end-to-end leak-down test using my .4 psi reg, and with the exhaust line plugged everything was tight. Then I just stuck the merged line in the ferm chamber directly in the water bottle and immediately realized I could change the bubble pattern readily right there. Put that end back together, went to the other end, stuck the line to the first keg directly in the bottle, and saw the same behavior.

So put everything back together but left the exhaust just barely submerged and by the time I pulled a cup of coffee the bubbling was off and running. I have a nano camera on it so I can watch it from my office just in case but I feel pretty confident if I don't lose control of the wort this thing is gonna work...

Cheers!

Things were looking too dicey to sleep on so I stuck the catcher in place. I had been purging it for hours using the same fermenter gas just in case, so it was ready and waiting to jump in if needed - and I think it is. By the time I closed the fridge door the bottle was bubbling away.

Historically this brew has tested the fermenter volume - I've almost always had some blow-off - and this one is definitely chomping on the bit.
Had to remove the thermowell'd probe - that's the one down-side, but I can live with that. Tucked it against the 2nd fermentor to keep it from clanging around - and messed up the shot. Oh well...

stout7_30jun2020_5sm.jpg

Cheers!

Things were looking too dicey to sleep on so I stuck the catcher in place. I had been purging it for hours using the same fermenter gas just in case, so it was ready and waiting to jump in if needed - and I think it is. By the time I closed the fridge door the bottle was bubbling away.

Historically this brew has tested the fermenter volume - I've almost always had some blow-off - and this one is definitely chomping on the bit.
Had to remove the thermowell'd probe - that's the one down-side, but I can live with that. Tucked it against the 2nd fermentor to keep it from clanging around - and messed up the shot. Oh well...

View attachment 687617

Cheers!
Did you make the "catcher" or buy it? My mind created something like that to capture and clean the CO2 from active fermentation, but I've never pursued the idea.

Made it. I found the PET jugs on Amazon, lined the cap with foil, then stuck the fittings in. The PTC bulkhead is a cool part and works great. It's quite gas tight and between the PET and the foil liner should keep any O2 pickup at bay. The only fly in the ointment is the vinyl blow-off hoses. I may invest in some Kaptan tape and wrap them up.

Woke up to find the krausen was still in the carboys so I may have jumped the gun, but I slept well :)

Finished and came out about as planned for. Yeast was a different story. Went to pitch the starter, sniffed and it seemed like it had a rotten egg smell or something. Wasn't happy about that. I was really tempted to dump it and use whatever dry yeast I had. I did go ahead and pitch the WLP380 but I have a bad feeling about it.
FD09D572-8D36-4719-AB22-9A4FB816AA81.jpeg

Brewing up a batch of Citra/Galaxy IPA today; was worried about the Kveiking slurry that did my Wit wrong, although I'm sure now it was overpitched, so bought a pack of Imperial Loki when I got my grain yesterday. I don't feel comfortable just using part of the pack, so made this one a bit higher in gravity (should get 1.065 out of it) and will use the whole thing. Manufacture date is 6/23, wow. This one will also be better temperature-controlled, as the ferment fridge will be free later this morning, so I'll turn on the heat lamp and let er rip in there where I can keep it where I want it. Then I have to make 2 dozen devilled eggs for later, and set up a small area in the garage with cups and sharpies so neighbors and guests can come over and help themselves to the taps if they want to. This is the last year that "real" fireworks will be allowed in our town so tonight promises to be very loud and boisterous.

Brewing 10 gallons of a generic blonde ale right now that's 60% pils, 30% 2-row, and the rest is quick (flaked) oats cereal.
Half will get 3lbs of mixed berries in the secondary with some berry extract and the other half will get some grapefruit peel tea and dry hopped with cascade.

Planning on brewing what has become my house ipa on Friday. I generally hop it with Citra and Idaho7, but this time I'm also going to add some Galaxy as well.
Also this will be my first time using Kveik (Voss). Last weekend I made a 2-step starter and man that stuff is insane. The 2nd step took off in under an hour, and was trying to escape within 3hrs. Spun in suspension for around 36 hours and then completely dropped out almost immediately.

Brewing a pils today with Mecca Grade malts(pilsner and a little vienna). Never used mecca grade stuff before. I also have some of their pale malt to use on my next IPA.

Nice weekend coming with my son and family visiting. Will be brewing a American Wit with orange and lemon addition. My wife and daughter in laws favorite summer beer.

I will be brewing a Rodenbach 'clone' tomorrow. 6 hour brew day, 2-3 week primary then 12+ month secondary. I just kicked my last keg though so I need to start restocking the pipeline to

Hoping to get a brew going, though it'd likely be Monday, due to reasons...
probably going to get my starter going tomorrow. WLP 001 that I harvested from my last brew a month or 2 ago.
Planning on an IPA. Mostly 2-row pale, some munich, and maybe a bit of Crystal 10.
Half an ounce or ounce of Simcoe for bittering, Citra for everything else - some 5 minute, some whirlpool and some dryhop. Have to plug it into Brewers Friend to see what numbers look like.

I wanted to but... calling for about 115F this weekend... waking up to 90F... screw that!

Back