So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2086.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

Today I decided to brew an American IPA (clear/ Left Coast style).
Then filled some kegs with Stout while listening to Country music and drinking beer.

Thanks to the men and women who protect our country every day and to those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom in America. God Bless! [emoji631]
[emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]

Last edited:
Long weekend today, crew gets paid day off, I get a 3 day weekend.

Brewed today instead of usual sunday, another whatever lager:

Probably fit into the Pre Prohibition lager category, recipe wise, if anyone cares(I don't)

16# pils malt
2# rye malt
1# white wheat malt
1# flaked corn.
(1# rice hulls)

Mash in temp 6.75 gal to temp of 148F, 1 hour

Etc.....

Slow fly sparge w 190F(start temp, then element off) water, 9.25 gal

1 oz Azacca first wort,
1 oz pearl 30 min boil
.5 (leaf) cascade, post whirlpool transfer step.

Cooled & pump to conical in cellar, O2, pitch 2 W34/70 (one would have worked, it is already working). Running on the high side, temp wise, cellar is 58.2F, so the working wort will probably be in low 60sF.

Probably will finally be last lager (yeast used) for the season.

11.5 gallons to cellar SG 1.061

Brewed every weekend since mid March. Once the lagers are kegged, will dissemble valves and sanitize everything before I switch to ale yeast.

Brewed a Dunkel on Friday and kegged a Czech Dark on Saturday. Now have two Czech Darks on tap and need to decide which is the better one to send to NHC finals.

I am dusting off the Grainfather and plan to run a 2-Hearted clone this weekend. It's been a while so I need to refresh on the process and recipe mods needed to run in the GF. Hmmm...clearly I need to brew more often!!

Grandfather makes for a very slow heat and boil!!

brewing a kölsch wort but going to try a voss kveik yeast, has any of you guys done this before?
I did this recently, actually. Pils with a touch of white wheat and munich, Voss kveik, and all Loral hops - bittering, 15 minutes and 5 minutes. Very nice, drinkable beer, but not quite as kolsch like as I would've liked. I would probably change the bittering hop to something like Horizon. Dont think I like Loral as a bittering hop.

Brewed a kettle soured blackberry milkshake IPA this weekend. It's going to a local event/competition where off the wall beers tend to do better. Last years winner was a NEIPA with glitter, named "Unicorn Piss".

Will be brewing NEIPA this coming weekend with Columbus, Strata and Denali.

What is this "overnight mash" thing?? I am a big fan of FF XXIPA - great hops!!
Just mash in and let it sit until I wake up in the morning. With a 5 year old and a 5 month old plus wife in school, finding time to brew has been near impossible. Sort of breaks brewday up into more doable chunks of time.

Just mash in and let it sit until I wake up in the morning. With a 5 year old and a 5 month old plus wife in school, finding time to brew has been near impossible. Sort of breaks brewday up into more doable chunks of time.

Just curious if there is any potential downsides to this, like gooey stuck mash, too many tanens, or whatever.

Just curious if there is any potential downsides to this, like gooey stuck mash, too many tanens, or whatever.
I have only done it a couple of time and haven’t had any negative effects on the finished beer. I got a lot of info from browsing the HBT forums before jumping in and trying it.

Brewing this weekend with lots of advice from all you guys and Google. I am new to brewing brewed a larger a few years back got the full setup keg with fridge with taps co2 building some time this week. I have a bucket with airlock making a mixed berry cider and wanting to add frozen berry's to mine. Do I add this after fermentation and leave in bucket I dont want to sython again just leave in here. How long would I leave the secondary fermentation before kegging. But I have 2 bouncer filters as well is this recommend to filter through both red and blue to keg. May have very clear but will this remove flavor. What's best ideas guys or is it best to sython straight in to keg will it matter if berries are in my keg. Also after secondary fermentation is it best to keg and put in fridge and leave in keg how long to wait cheers for advice

Last night I brewed a semi-impromptu Belgian pale ale. Mecca Grade Pelton & Shaniko w/ ~18% rye. Cashmere hops (Comet for bittering), Meyer lemon zest and lemon verbena at flame-out, and a co-pitch of Crossmyloof saison and "Belgian" yeast.

Airlock was already going nuts when I woke up this morning. :grin:

Grew a triple pitch of 1318 from stored overbuilt starter (one pitch goes back in storage) and have my RO system filling kettles for a 10 gallon batch of neipa Saturday. I'm waiting on two bags of base malt (GP and Weyermann pilsner) to arrive at my LHBS as I only have enough of each for half the batch. May have to pad them out with Breiss two row if the LHBS doesn't make it by this evening...

Cheers!

1318_29may2019.jpg

RO_system_fill_01.jpg

Have an epic brew weekend planned. Bought grain today, and tomorrow morning will brew up another batch of the Mosaic Pils that was so awesome a couple months ago. Sunday morning will do my competition Czech again, this time knowing my ferment fridge won't fail on me. Grain already milled for tomorrow, just need to get through work tonight and it's on like donkey kong.

Whew! Today I bottled my first batch of beer (2.5 gal of LME wheat beer). Then I started a 2-gal batch of cider using the yeast at the bottom of the beer fermenter (Munich Classic). I like beer yeast for my cider (Belle Saison usually), and if this one doesn't work out, I'm only out $5-6 for the apple juice and frozen concentrate.

I also started my first wine kit, a 10L Vintner's Reserve Gewurztraminer. It gets the fridge fermenter, at 65F. The cider can handle the slightly warmer temps, so it's in a bin of water in a cool spot in the house about about 71-73F. I usually just do cider at room temp, around 75-78F, but with this yeast I wanted to keep it a little lower.

Brewed a Golden Promise/Citra SMaSH this AM. Went great, except saw my 0 min hops sitting on the kitchen island while I was cooling the wort - it was about 90 degrees when I saw them. Threw them in for the last 20 degrees. We’ll see, tasted fine when transferred to primary.

Brewed a 90 Shilling clone from several recipes I morphed together and other research from the internet. It’s for my brother at his wedding reception since he favors the commercial version. It’s my 7th batch since I converted to BIAB and I am really enjoying this style of brewing. Pitched a slurry of 2nd generation Notty and hope to see some krausen by morning.

Brewed a California Common yesterday afternoon. Was a bit concerned that there was no fermentation last night after 8 hours or so but it is bubbling away nicely this morning. I put the carboy in a bucket with cold water and a couple of ice bottles. It may have started off too cold, seems to be right around 61/62F this morning which is where I wanted to be. This is one of my favourites so am quite excited for the summer lager season to get going.

Going on a long vacation soon, so I'm going to brew 2 batches to keep the pipeline full for when I get back. Really wanted to do 1 of them last weekend, but it didn't work out.

After a long day at both jobs, just milled the grain for an American Strong to be brewed tomorrow morning, that should mirror what I called "Super Bastard" from last year; 14lbs two row, 2lbs special Belgium, and a scant pound of home-caramelized crystal (about 120 SRM). Going to strike with a bit more so I have some to reduce on the convection burner, to be added back in the last 15 minutes of the boil. And nice fresh 2018 Chinook hops to hop it with, as well as some tried & true Nottingham slurry that should chew through it fast. Aiming for at least 8%ABV, maybe more, just because. Yes, it's going to be a malty/hoppy/super strong ale, but that's what I want. Gonna get a 1st with this one at the Fair this year, or I'll eat my hop bag.

Just wrapped up an American wheat with Sterling hops (a "house beer" recipe I'm trying to perfect) and pitched some Bell's yeast I cultured from a bottle of Oberon. Eager to see how this one turns out. Normally I use WY2565 for my wheat beers.

Just wrapped up an American wheat with Sterling hops (a "house beer" recipe I'm trying to perfect) and pitched some Bell's yeast I cultured from a bottle of Oberon. Eager to see how this one turns out. Normally I use WY2565 for my wheat beers.

I use a culture from Bells that i have no idea how many generations old it is. Make a big starter and split that up into vials and use a vial to create a new starter for the the next beer. Yeast works like a champ

Brewed a Double IPA today that started with a Pliny clone and then I adjusted with some ingredients on hand

Amarillo / Santiam Pale Ale. Working on combining yeasts WLP001, WLP002, WLP500 for this one. It smells crazy good in the fermenter.

20190607_194513.jpeg

Back