So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed a Pale that I think will be a complete hit. A friend form the LHBC joined me for a brew day with his recipe and ingredients. He had some limitations at the moment with regard to brewing at the house, so I was more than happy to oblige.

Batch is a simple grist of 82% GP, 15% flaked oats, and 3% GNO. 5.75- Targeting 4.9%ABV (1.049 OG)

2 oz of hops @5 were an ounce each of Vic Secret and Denali

20 min Hop stand @175°F of the same hops and distribution
20 min Hop stand @160°F of the same hops and distribution

Yeast is Imperial A38 Juice

Two stage dry hop - 7 days and 3 days
Each dry hop is 2 oz of each Denali and Vic Secret.

All numbers hit during the run. We were a bit over a quart over volume, so @10 min I added corn sugar to boost the gravity to target. Only needed 3 points over 6 gallons, so 9 oz was enough to account for the gravity (plus a touch extra to account for refractometer correction factors)

Being the airlock sniffer I am, I had to check this morning. Bubbling away like mad. Krausen is high so I scraped a sample off the top to squirrel it away. The smell is just amazing. I am looking forward to this batch.

After many weekends of crappy weather including the polar vortex, it's in the upper 40s here today, so I brewed an Oktoberfest-like lager. Nearly 1/3 each of Pilsner, Vienna and Munich plus a tiny bit of Melanoiden. I added a heap of Willamette as late addition hops so we'll see how that works with everything else.

13 gallons of dunkel yesterday.

20190202_131345.jpeg
20190202_152321.jpeg

Brewed an IPA with 2 Row, crystal 20, Vienna, and honey malt. Used all El Dorado. .5oz at 60, 1.5oz at 10 and another 1oz at flameout. Trying to decide whether to DH with 2oz or just 1oz at day 5.

Hoping to brew a triple batch of Gordon Strong's Helles recipe from his "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book on Saturday. Really depends on the weather since I have everything ready to go.

i think this is my first ever wednesday evening brew. didn't leave work early or anything. just had my wife turn power on for the strike water about 90 minutes prior to starting.

the basement brewery is really hitting its stride.

This Sunday I will be kegging 15 gallons of WC IPA rev.8 and then I plan to brew an 11 gallon batch of xxIPA rev.#3.
I completely changed
My grains and hops for this one hoping to lighten it up and have a very drinkable 8.7 % abv beer.
Problem I have now is all my kegs are full
of beer so I will have to get bottling and drinking HB tonight! [emoji482]

Planning on brewing up a Blonde this Saturday. Supposed to dump snow on us tomorrow night into Saturday, since up here in the Great PNW (Puget Sound region) we get maybe 4 inches of snow a year it calls for a celebration. Latest models (I looked that up on Google today, it's very interesting from a science/physics/math outlook) say we're supposed to get anywhere from 3" to 12" in less than 24 hours, which is something epic around here. Would be the most snow we've seen in 20 years. Have everything I need for ingredients, propane, and clean equipment, so it's on! And because I thought of it, will drag the chilling hose into the garage at some point tonight so it doesn't freeze and screw up my chilling.

Our friendly neighborhood HBS is now carrying Carolina Malt House Malts, so I picked up some Carolina Gold 2-row and some Crystal 10L for Gold Pale Ale. Hops will be EKG & Fuggles.

As happens a lot in my brewery, changed my mind. Going to try for a Brut style IPA instead of a blonde. Didn't have enough pilsner to make that the base malt, so did 12lbs two row, 1lb pilsner, and hops will be Centennial for bittering and a mix of Crystal and Chinook for late additions. Will add a pound of table sugar towards the end of the boil to help dry it out, as well as some amylase at high krausen to really bring it down. Yah not the 'traditional' recipe but it should work. Lautering now.

Just brewed 19.5 Gallons of Helles from G.Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book. Finally a somewhat nice day to brew in the garage.

I'm doing that often-referenced Centennial Blonde. I went to my LHBS today, and saw a note on it indicating they were closed until Monday. Nothing on Facebook to indicate the closed shop :(. Anyway, heading to my other LHBS tomorrow that is open on Sundays :).

I brewed a small batch of Belgian triple OG 1.068, then parigyled another small batch OG 1.055. Not sure what batch 2 is going to be, as I thought I had an appropriate yeast, but if I do I couldn’t locate it, so just pitched WB.

Did two grainfather brews this weekend. Saison and English mild. Both are my entries for the NHC this year. Saison been fermenting for 48 hours now at 72 degrees. Just pitched the yeast for the mild.
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG

Just put 5 gallons of a coffee stout in the fermenter. Liquid and DME. Coffee beans steeped for 20 minutes after boil. Hope it tastes as good as the wort looked.

West Coast snow day means brewday. 7" on the ground here means nothing is moving. Brewed an Amber ended up about 5 points low at 1.050. Suspect I hurried the sparge a bit.

View attachment 612012

Finishing up the boil on my xxIPA.
Put together an 8.7 % abv recipe that “should” taste light a Chrisp.
First time for everything.

Can we get a bigger pic of your brewery? Looks like you have something pretty sweet going on there! make those of us spatially challenged folks jealous

Can we get a bigger pic of your brewery? Looks like you have something pretty sweet going on there! make those of us spatially challenged folks jealous

No problem.
Took 3 years of planning and convincing the wife, 1 year to build, and payments maybe endless since new brew equipment is always coming out. It’s been my decompression place for the last 1.5 years. 1/2 bbl electric stout system. Rooms approximately 14’ x 11’ . My garage was origanally a 2 car tandem meaning one of the parking spaces was an additional 11’ deep so I just had to build one wall, install the door and window to create the room. Cheers [emoji482]

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 64
No problem.
Took 3 years of planning and convincing the wife, 1 year to build, and payments maybe endless since new brew equipment is always coming out. It’s been my decompression place for the last 1.5 years. 1/2 bbl electric stout system. Rooms approximately 14’ x 11’ . My garage was origanally a 2 car tandem meaning one of the parking spaces was an additional 11’ deep so I just had to build one wall, install the door and window to create the room. Cheers [emoji482]

View attachment 612091
View attachment 612092View attachment 612093
Awesome man!! And it's probably now spotless after your episode over on the embarrassing things thread :)

Yesterday I brewed an IPA(maybe NEIPA) with El Dorado, Citra, and a bit of Mosaic I found in the back of the freezer. Nothing special about the recipe but for the first time I'm attempting fermenting in a corny keg, while purging my dry hop keg with fermentation CO2. I plan to cold crash around day 8-10 to drop my yeast, then closed transfer to dry hop keg. I will have to open the dry hop keg to insert the hops but hopefully if I blow CO2 in there while I do it I can still keep the oxygen exposure very low. Thus far I've brewed mainly heavily hopped IPAs and I'm really trying to seal my system up as much as possible from O2 to take it up a notch.

Brewing an Irish Red Ale today to be on tap along with a Chocolate Milk Stout (that is carbing now) for St Patty's Day! In the middle of a 60 minute mash right now! Beautiful day 68 degrees here on my back lanai in Florida!

John

Back