So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning the mashtun now for my two hearted ale clone. Had to eat something first... Now I am ready. To. BREW!

Did a 10 gallon batch of a basic amber ale yesterday (14lbs two row, 3 lbs Crystal 80). 5 gallons will just be a straight amber, the rest will get 3-4 sliced jalapeños after a week. Husband has been begging me to brew it for him for a while. And I finally figured out my issue with sh*try mediciney off flavors; pitching too hot. These guys were chilled to 68 before pitching, both are now in the garage sitting at 64 and going great guns. The plain one (mine, I don't do spicy anything) is a bit of an experiment; I didn't have enough Notty to do both, so this one got slurry from my last Scotch ale. It's chugging along faster than the Notty batch and smells fantastic. Can't wait for these two!

I might do a 15L kitchen sink brew today. I have enough leftover ingredients, just need to wait and see if I get called into work this morning.

Brewing a house Ale. And fighting with the damn wind! My boil is very erratic. Man it's been windy in Colorado this month!

Edit: as if on queue right when I posted this Dylan's "Blowing in the wind" was the next song up on my iTunes! :rockin:

Jalapeño Amber, I must say I've never had it but I think I'm with ya, doesn't sound too tasty.

A pub we go to has it on tap, it's my husband's favorite. It's okay, just not my pint of beer. Made him a deal that I would brew it if I could do a 10 gallon batch and keep the other half for myself.

Not too sure what to brew. Got the goods to do another Otters Nuggetts. (Marris Otter smash with Nuggett hopps) Last one was pretty good, easy, inexpensive. That or another basic Porter???
Installed 3- 3way valves on my rig hoping to reduce moving hoses around. Eager to try it out.

Brewing up a batch of Gordon Strong's Galaxy Pale Ale recipe from Modern Homebrew Recipes if the weather cooperates. It is my first time trying one of his recipes.

15 gallon preboil, we shall see where I end up after 75 minute boil.

19# Briess Pilsen
2# Bestmalz Vienna
2# Briess Flaked Corn
2# Briess Flaked Maize
5/8# Dextrose
1/4# Briess C60

10min→0.5oz Mandarina Bavaria (6%AA)
5min→1.5oz Mandarina Bavaria (6%AA)
0min/WP→1.5oz Mandarina Bavaria (6%AA)

Fermenting enough for 1/4 keg with US05.

UPDATE: All 12 gallons of wort was spilled. This is the imperial cream ale that wasn't meant to be

View attachment 1490215595771.jpg

Gonna do a Patersbier - basically a Pilsner/Saaz SMASH fermented with 1214. Kind of a bummer that it's supposed to be in the upper 60s tomorrow while I'm at work and then back into the 40s over the weekend, but heck - I can brew in the cold.

Brewing with a friend tomorrow. We'll be drinking my AG NEIPA while we brew his extract custom ale recipe that I can't really describe. Now that I'm doing all grain, extract seems a little...boring, but drinking good beer with good friends is what it's all about. I am excited to try the results of his recipe...it looks interesting.

19# Briess Pilsen
2# Bestmalz Vienna
2# Briess Flaked Corn
2# Briess Flaked Maize
5/8# Dextrose
1/4# Briess C60

UPDATE: All 12 gallons of wort was spilled. This is the imperial cream ale that wasn't meant to be

Sonuva...!!! I will bow my head in memorium for this fallen brew.

Thinking of brewing my wedding anniversary beer. Basically it's a Dead Guy clone that I riff on every year. This year's tweaks: OG of 1.080 and a doubled-up starter of Denny's Favorite 50.

19# Briess Pilsen
2# Bestmalz Vienna
2# Briess Flaked Corn
2# Briess Flaked Maize
5/8# Dextrose
1/4# Briess C60

Sorry to hear you lost your cream ale. That sucks!

I noticed you have a SS Brewtech kettle and BIAB. What size kettle do you have? It looks like it's at least a 20 gallon kettle. Also, what's the largest grain bill you have been successful with? I recently got their 20 gallon kettle so I'm curious to know from personal experience.

Sorry to hear you lost your cream ale. That sucks!

I noticed you have a SS Brewtech kettle and BIAB. What size kettle do you have? It looks like it's at least a 20 gallon kettle. Also, what's the largest grain bill you have been successful with? I recently got their 20 gallon kettle so I'm curious to know from personal experience.

I have a 20 gallon kettle as you have keenly observed, which I have to fix the dent in :mad:

...but my stout ended up about 32lbs grain with 4lb of sugars and 7lb of DME. I did not use the mill I now have and efficiency for the AG portion was about 65%. Original volume was 13.5 gallons.

This photo was with the grain bill of my cream ale which was 25.25lb of grain in 16 gallons of water. I could have pushed it a few more gallons and many pounds but we shall see. But I think my original calc was off I think my efficiency by fiddling with my brew app was 95% not 85%.

I'll be rebrewing with 17.5 gallons of water and 27lb of grain. 5 gallons will be soured and eventually aged on fruit.

View attachment 1490323644565.jpg

84.8% 2-Row (3.5 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 6584 grams = 14.52 pounds
6.1% Munich (18 EBC = 9.1 SRM) 470 grams = 1.04 pounds
3% Cararoma (260 EBC = 132 SRM) 235 grams = 0.52 pounds
3% Carafoam (4 EBC = 2 SRM) 235 grams = 0.52 pounds
3% Red Wheat (18 EBC = 9.1 SRM) 235 grams = 0.52 pounds

72 IBU CTZ Pellets (16.5%AA) 1.5 ounces at 60 mins
17 IBU Citra Pellets (14%AA) 2.0 ounces at 5 mins
20 IBU Simcoe Pellets (11%AA) 2.0 ounces at 5 mins

IMG_20170325_085013025_HDR.jpg

Session IPA thursday:
2 row, oats, vienna, c40, victory malts
Mosaic, equinox, summit, azacca in the whirlpool, ahtanum dry hop.

and a german Pils tomorrow:

Weyermann barke pils w saaz and perle.

NE Haze Double IPA

I'm very excited (and a little nervous) to say that I'm brewing my first all grain batch with my new equipment. 10 Gallon iGloo (with SS ball valve and a bazooka screen). 8 Gallon MegaPot 1.2, and a copper wort chiller.

OK so - next weekend actually. Crap ton of hops and grain and time on my hands and not sur what to do - but gonna brew. April 2nd. WiFe and kid out of town. Motivated and typing with a belly full of robust porter - OK- by my typing a blood steam of robust porter and open to suggestion on what to brew that day.

I have a golden promise/styrian goldings SMaSH planned for tomorrow

A last minute change of plans resulted in 2.5 gallons of the following:
Pilsner/Hallertau SMaSH
Vienna/Tettnang SMaSH

Both with w-34/70.

Helped my boss brew his house red yesterday; he's got a smashed foot so me and my partner did it all on our own. Last time we brewed there was a LOT of liquid left in the mash tun that we just drained out; this time I asked my boss if I could collect it and take it home to ferment. He did us one better, we added more hot water and mashed it out again to get 15 gallons at 1.040. We boiled that down, added some Citra at the finish, and chilled it. Split it into two 5 gallon batches for us to take home and play with. My partner hasn't brewed at home yet so this is his "break-in". My batch got 2 jars of my "house" slurry (it's been used for my scotch ale twice and my amber so far), as of this morning it had taken off like crazy. Boss says we're going to do this for every batch we brew on his equipment from now on (55 gallon batches). Saves us some money and gives us more experience. And my husband said I couldn't brew at home this weekend....HA showed him!

I'm retired so I don't have weekends, but I will be brewing tomorrow. Doing another Best Bitter - the last one came out really nice, but at the top of the Best Bitter range, so I am easing this one down to the center of the style. Shooting for an OG of 1.044, IBU of 31, SRM of 10, and ABV of 4.2%, carbed to 1.5 volumes. Grain bill is Maris Otter with Crystal 60 (7.5%) and Special B (2.8%), hopped with East Kent Golding.

TomVA

I'm planning to brew this (4 gallon batch) and try fermenting in a bucket instead of sealed in a carboy so I can harvest the yeast off the top. Never tried that before...

6.5 lb - Belgian Pilsner (83.9%)
1 lb - American Munich 10L (12.9%)
4 oz - German Acidulated Malt (3.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Mount Hood, AA 5, Boil for 30 min
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, AA 5, Boil for 5 min

YEAST:
Fermentis - German Ale Yeast K-97

Back