So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today brewed an oatmeal stout with chocolate and coffee additions so it essentially turned into a lower abv breakfast stout. Tasted and smelled amazing.

Going to try the Flying Monkeys Smashbomb recipe in the 2014 Ontario Craft Brewery calendar.

I need to brew my Christmas beer this weekend so it's ready in time. Last year we put our Christmas card on a beer label and gave out three cases. Same plan this year. Using the NB Red Brickwarmer recipe again. It was a winner. I might just spike up the Orange zest a little though this year.

Not gonna be here this weekend.... So I decided to brew up an imperial chocolate and pepper stout before work today... Just finishing boil.

1414616586524.jpg

My holiday ale has been bottled, came out at 12.08%. Working on a peanut butter milk stout. Air lock has been bubbling for 11 days now. Moving to a secondary this weekend and adding the PB2 and cocoa nibs.

I'll be brewing an oatmeal stout on Sunday. More accurately a bourbon oaked vanilla coffee oatmeal stout. This is my first attempt at something this complex so I'm studying up on a lot of techniques:

- dark grains added late in the mash
- how to prepare and use bourbon soaked oak cubes
- how and when to add coffee
- how and when to add bourbon soaked vanilla beans

I'm really hoping for success on this as its turning into an expensive batch.

I'll be brewing an oatmeal stout on Sunday. More accurately a bourbon oaked vanilla coffee oatmeal stout. This is my first attempt at something this complex so I'm studying up on a lot of techniques:

- dark grains added late in the mash
- how to prepare and use bourbon soaked oak cubes
- how and when to add coffee
- how and when to add bourbon soaked vanilla beans

I'm really hoping for success on this as its turning into an expensive batch.

I always find less is more with the coffee. I tried 12 oz in secondary once and WOW it was more of coffee with beer than a beer with coffee. Depends on how your gonna add it though. I find using a lighter roast and anywere between 2 and 4 oz in secondary works but I only leave them for a day and pull it. Have also tried cold brewed which gives a great flavor but the coffee seems to fade faster when aging this way.

I would just throw the vanilla beans in secondary and call it a day. Leave them for a least a week and taste it.

Sounds like a good brew!! good luck.

I am venturing into new territory this weekend, my LHBS shop and club are doing a brew demo at the shop (since its learn to home brew day) and i think i might try a cream ale. Having a party at the end of november and need something for the BMC drinkers to enjoy. I usually stick to darker beers or IPA's so this is something completely different. Havent settled on a recipe yet though.

Hopefully brewing on Sunday
Have plenty of options but am thinking either a hefeweizen or a brown ale
Will be first time brewing on new setup too so will be some teething issues no doubt

Sunday morning I'm doing a Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus IPA.

I love brewing early morning on Daylight Savings day in the fall. I get a bonus hour of brewing!

Yaknow. Just had a thought. You know how much fun it could be to be brewing on the front porch/front of the garage while kids are trick or treating? You can dress up like you are making meth and no one would make stupid comments. Well, hopefully not. I am sure the parents supervising your kids would say trick or treat and you can give them a sample of homebrew and maybe end up with a whole neighborhood of homebrewers.

Brewing a beer I made last year that turned out great, gonna do some minor adjustments to tweek some of the flavors. Gonna be my first time brewing in front of people that isn't SWMBO, Teach Someone To Brew Day with my homebrew club.

Between Halloween, kids swim meet tomorrow, and other kids swim practice on Sunday, I hope to somehow get 5 hrs to brew a Two Hearted IPA.

Just bought some brew stuff at Midwest for a Vienna and Bock and got a free 5 gallon SS pot. Thin as can be (it was free!), but I won't be boiling anything in it anyway. Now I have a nice dunk sparge vessel for my BIAB for that 5-10% efficiency loss that I've been missing.

Picked up my brew log that I left at the lhbs and decided to do 2 more batches of zombie dust instead of a iipa as ingredients were 10% off so I got a lb of citra. I'll likely brew a cherry wheat tomorrow and maybe zombie dust on sunday. Also some cider and mead need to get made at some point too in the near future.

Yaknow. Just had a thought. You know how much fun it could be to be brewing on the front porch/front of the garage while kids are trick or treating? You can dress up like you are making meth and no one would make stupid comments. Well, hopefully not. I am sure the parents supervising your kids would say trick or treat and you can give them a sample of homebrew and maybe end up with a whole neighborhood of homebrewers.

Long before I got into home brewing, around 12 to 15 years ago, I had a bigger house with a big front porch and a large back yard and deck...we used to do THE Halloween party in the neighborhood, usually a day or two before Halloween. There was always leftover beer, so I started the yearly "Trick or Drink" tradition. We always had juice boxes for the kids. A couple of friends would usually come over and hang out on the porch. Fun times! Now...not so much. But brewing and passing out HB's to the neighbors in the old 'hood would have been a blast!!!

At long last,I got around to brewing my lambic solera(plastic) top up wort.
I can now take out of two FVs and blend my first batch.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414864508.157471.jpg mashing 10 gallons of my version of hi nelson saison. Next its a iipa with all hops from my hop yard

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All set to make a 1 gallon Vienna Smash! I've been staring at the grains all week. Wife is out of town so no distractions :rockin:

I'm in the middle of brewing one of my favorite recipes, which is one where I have really detailed notes because I've made it so many times. Because of those detailed notes, I nailed the mash temp and pH immediately. Love it.

Brewed our Christmas card beer, the Northern Brewer Red Brickwarmer Ale AG recipe. It was a big hit last year so I not messing with success.

Sourced all ingredients from my LHBS for same cost as NB. Support your LHBS!

Thanksgiving Amber with a couple deviations from my normal brew process leading to near disaster

6 gallons instead of 5.5 so I can keg 3 for the holiday and bottle the other 3, smaller aluminum pot because it's cold and windy outside and I can heat/cool it quicker as well as clean it inside, and mashing and sparging inside to avoid the wind

20141102_083942.jpg

Brewing another batch of Pirate Ale blasting Static-X in tribute. RIP Wayne :(

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back