So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing a farmhouse saison i got off of here but substituting the pils from Belgian to German and Rye to Chocolate malt. Also using extracts because I'm not ready for all grain 5 gallon batch yet due to money for ewuipment. It will still be 5 gallons though. This is my 2nd brew so I'm hoping it goes well. My first batch I made Wednesday is showing activity so that's fun.

I did a late night brew. 2 batches, 1 pumpkin ale and a rye IPA. Got in late, about 2 am. Up by 7 for yard work.

I did a late night brew. 2 batches, 1 pumpkin ale and a rye IPA. Got in late, about 2 am. Up by 7 for yard work.

Sounds late. I don't do late brews. I like to start early instead. Though technically, I don't to most of the early part. I set it up before bed and when my son wakes up to tend to the animals at 5:30 he starts the system and adds the grain. By 7 when I'm coffee'ed and up I'm already half way through the brew day. I knew kids were good for something...

All setup to brew later today when I crawl out of bed(I am a night owl!). 11 gallons of my house ale. Then I need to get 5 gallons of an IPA made for some variety, thinking a Chinook smash... maybe next weekend.

Brewed a Helles today. Finally got enough of a pipeline to tie up my ferm chamber with a lager. Excited about this one, got the recipe from a brewery out in Colorado. I kept coming back to this beer and decided to give it a shot.

Brewed a Helles today. Finally got enough of a pipeline to tie up my ferm chamber with a lager. Excited about this one, got the recipe from a brewery out in Colorado. I kept coming back to this beer and decided to give it a shot.

Seems many lager recipes hover around a similar grain bill. Anything special that stands out in this recipe?

Seems many lager recipes hover around a similar grain bill. Anything special that stands out in this recipe?

Not so much the grain bill, that was pretty standard with pilsner, light munich, and melanoiden. It was the hop additions I was curious about. Turned out to be liberty to bitter, liberty and chinook for flavor, and Mt. Hood and chinook for aroma. Would never have thought to use chinook but I'm inexperienced with brewing lagers and formulating recipes. Just kind of thought I'd ask for a recipe I knew I enjoyed. Turned out also to be a pretty big lager coming in at 1.076. Wouldn't have guessed from drinking it.

Not so much the grain bill, that was pretty standard with pilsner, light munich, and melanoiden. It was the hop additions I was curious about. Turned out to be liberty to bitter, liberty and chinook for flavor, and Mt. Hood and chinook for aroma. Would never have thought to use chinook but I'm inexperienced with brewing lagers and formulating recipes. Just kind of thought I'd ask for a recipe I knew I enjoyed. Turned out also to be a pretty big lager coming in at 1.076. Wouldn't have guessed from drinking it.

Wow....goes in a different direction than the typical 1.050 lager with noble hops. Once done, would you mind posting your review?

Since my last IPA is toast from overstressed yeast, going to do another one but adding some rye to the mix. Also going to have my first go at making a starter. Got some slurry from my boss, I saved some wort from my last batch and will start it up tomorrow night. If for some reason it flops I will still have time to run to the LHBS and grab some fresh. I'm really bummed because the toast batch is my first in quite a while that didn't turn out (yes I know it happens to everyone, but my pipeline is down to almost nothing and I am drinking a Coors as I type). All I have ready right now is the beer I'm taking to the kid's wedding next week and I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH IT but yes I have had a couple, to make sure it's good....and OMG it is. Kegging up my Raspberry ale tonight as well and hope to have it tapped by Wednesday.

It's still hot as could be here in my neck of the woods. So this Saturday I will be brewing a nice light Cream Ale to quaff after cutting my huge lawn!

John

I'm going to brew my usual oktoberfest that has a pinch of pumpkin spices in it. It's about 2 weeks later than I normally brew it, but that's okay, it'll be ready by about Oktober 1st and gone by the end of the month. Usually I like to have it ready by beginning to mid September.

Going for a larger ESB, or imperial, whatever you want to call it. 11 lbs Maris otter, 3 lbs Two Track Okefenokee pale malt, 12 oz crystal 60, 5 oz special b. 1 oz goldings 60, .75 Delta at 20, .50 at 10 and .75 at 0. S-04 yeast.

Going for a larger ESB, or imperial, whatever you want to call it. 11 lbs Maris otter, 3 lbs Two Track Okefenokee pale malt, 12 oz crystal 60, 5 oz special b. 1 oz goldings 60, .75 Delta at 20, .50 at 10 and .75 at 0. S-04 yeast.

Probably a Strong Ale - but the timing and recipe aren't too far off an Audit Ale, traditionally brewed with the first barley and hops of the new season for drinking in winter at Oxford and Cambridge universities. Ideally a bit stronger still, but hoppier than the normal barleywine.

We'll see, got 10g of Hopwork Orange ready to keg and cold crash in my fermenter.
Got some work to do with that and cleaning up the conical.
If i get it ready, gonna try a lemon lime Hefe, will be the first batch with both liquid yeast and the glycol cooled fermenter in place. Hoping for superb results. Starters seem like alot of work lol.

count me in. im either going to do a aloe juice sour or a rye sour... hmmm maybe a rye aloe sour

Doing the wonderful Common Room ESB again. Just kicked my Mosaic IPA last night, so this'll fit nicely in the fridge.

Got the Roadblock Rye on the boil now, also first time using FWH instead of 1st addition at boil. Hop schedule is 1oz Cascade at FWH, then 1 ounce Mosaic at 20, 15, 10, 5, and flameout. Will dry hop with 2 ounces of Mosaic, but NOT in the keg this time. I did that with my last Pliny clone and I've been fighting the hop sack clogging the dip tube ever since. Yes I know I should have used floss to tie it up but I couldn't find any in the house and didn't want to go to the store. Garage smells fantastic BTW. Love early morning brews.

I brewed Fri. Since I have to work today, in about 10 min.
Brewed a Octoberfest beer. First time in my 2 years brewing that I will have brewed in time for the season!

Going to try an English pale ale recipe that I cobbled together yesterday. Heading over to my lhbs to get my grains pulverized. I have stepped up a starter and weighed out my hops so, come on Sunday!

I'll be doing my last summer light ale, may throw fresh Rasberry into it at the end

Fruit and beer is like peas and carrots 🥕

Then I'm going for seasonal brews, pumpkin ale and octoberfest if I can find a recipe I dig

Brewed an IPA yesterday to celebrate the recent hops delivery. It's the little things in life.

Also felt like having a farewell brew in the kitchen. Should be my last electric stove brew since my new burner showed up yesterday, and the kettle and immersion cooler are both scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

So while I've been brewing two per weekend, no brewing today in lieu of prepping for next weekend.

Just finished an English strong bitter recipe that I am trying out for the first time. Had an interesting brew session when my mashtun had the braid slip off of the interior connector during the mash. Luckily I had a paint strainer bag that saved the day. I eventually fixed the issue but it made for a longer day than usual.

Early yet, but planning my labor day brewday since I'll probably be working the weekend. As of now (subject to change) I'm going to do a 10 gallon batch of blonde, and might use some raspberries for 5 gallons and/or Tangerine flavoring and leave the other half straight. Or do both raspberry and tangerine...or change my mind again and brew something totally different. It stays pretty warm all the way into early October here in my neck of the woods, and I want something light and easy drinking before I start my winter brews. Husband is in New York for 2 weeks for work and he left me $100 to spend on brewing...ah the possibilities!

Back