So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rosemary rye I brewed last night is curretnly fermenting away. I just mashed in my Oatmeal Stout, and when thats finished, i'll be on to my house pale ale (armarillo hops). First time I've brewed since moving into the old house, need to rebuild that pipe line.:mug:

Since I do not have the ingredients for the brew I had wanted to do today, and the LHBS is closed on Sundays, I think I am going to throw a quick 5 gallon something together.

Looking at what I have in stock I think I will just have fun and do a light simple

8 Lbs 2-row
12 oz Crystal 40
with Cascade (i have a lot) at 1 oz for FWH, and .5 oz at 10 and flameout.

Looks like I have some S-04 so will use that.
Should turn out to be about 3.7%

I figure I will start brewing in about an hour. Thoughts?

Since I do not have the ingredients for the brew I had wanted to do today, and the LHBS is closed on Sundays, I think I am going to throw a quick 5 gallon something together.

Looking at what I have in stock I think I will just have fun and do a light simple

8 Lbs 2-row
12 oz Crystal 40

According to Beersmith, 29 IBU, color 4.7, est abv 4.1%
If you want a bit more color and flavor, you could take a bit of the 2-row, say 1/2 pound and roast in the oven (a thin layer) @ 350 degrees for 1/2 hour. If it were me, I'd also up the IBU a bit. For example, Yooper's Pale Ale uses all cascade and is a crowd favorite here on HBT. It's schedule is:
1 oz @ 60
.75 oz @ 30
1 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 5
.5 oz @ 0
1 oz dry hop.

No brewing today, but instead it's transfer to keg day. Four brews: Schwartzbeir, a Summit MO SMaSH (looked awesome in the carboy, also doing a Summit hop dry hop on this), Sierra Nevada Celebration clone (dry hop with cascade and celebration), and Victory Hop Devil clone (dry hop with cascade). Also processing the yeast to capture the Kolsch yeast from the Schwartzbeir and S-05.

Just finished the mash and starting boil on kingbrian's Common Room ESB. Smells wonderful. This will be my second batch of the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

8 Lbs 2-row
12 oz Crystal 40

Sounds like a good clean sipper. something to keep your yeast busy until u get to the shoppe!

Saturday, I brewed wounded knee IPA, I hit 1.062 on my og. brewtarget stated I would hit 1.056 and everyone else I have seen post about 1.056 too, So I either got really good efficiency or I boiled off more water than I thought.

using a blue 15 gallon fermentation bucket so I cant tell exactly how much I got in there. I know I started with 12 gallons and did a 90 minute boil!

pitched yeast lastnight at midnight and we got lift off as of about an hour ago. I added more yeast about 2 hours ago because I wasnt expecting such a high og.

According to Beersmith, 29 IBU, color 4.7, est abv 4.1%
If you want a bit more color and flavor, you could take a bit of the 2-row, say 1/2 pound and roast in the oven (a thin layer) @ 350 degrees for 1/2 hour. If it were me, I'd also up the IBU a bit. For example, Yooper's Pale Ale uses all cascade and is a crowd favorite here on HBT. It's schedule is:
1 oz @ 60
.75 oz @ 30
1 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 5
.5 oz @ 0
1 oz dry hop.

Thanks for the input. I had decided that the BS classification for an APA was still too strong and wanted to weaken it a touch to be kinda middle of the road for a ordinary bitter when it comes to ABV/Color/IBU. I will consider that as well. May brew it midweek.

Sounds like a good clean sipper. something to keep your yeast busy until u get to the shoppe!

Wish I had gotten off my fat butt and brewed it up. I kept getting distracted, then started fighting my smoker. I am starting to go through brewing withdrawl. Going to see if I can brew this up after work today, and then get the what I really wanted to brew in this Saturday or Sunday morning. Geez forgot it was my sisters birthday and fathers day this weekend.

Well I have to package up 10 gal of Miller light hopped Thursday. Probably 5 gal in bottles. 5 in keg. Then I am brewing 5 gal of squirrel brown ale. Can't get enough of the squirrel. my new addition is a ugly drum smoker. I get to do the inaugural smoke still. Maybe some chicken and baby back ribs.
20140608_112303_zpsce150da4.jpg.html

Brewed a 5 gallon batch of Dunkelweizen on Sunday afternoon after moving into my new house. Within the first hour (house is right on a busy bike path) I was asked if I was making moonshine, do they have badges for this like boy scouts "get asked if you are making moonshine".

Got a week off work as we have a new born.
Gonna use the time he is sleeping to attempt my first AG
Bought 2 mash kits from an online HBS, a hoppy US IPA and a blonde ale
Here are the instructions that came with it, anybody care to critique?
Using a cooler mash tun and a 36 litre pot with a tap.
Also using a propane burner
OG: 1.061
TG: 1.012
AB: 6.3%

Initial mash vol. 16L
Top up at end of mash: 5L
Batch (2): 13L
Batch sparge method: Mash all grain at 67C for 1 hour in 16L of water.
Top up after 1 hour with 5L of 80C water. Mix well and leave settle for 15 mins
Drain and recirculate until runnings are clear.
Drain first batch to boiler.
Add 2nd batch of water, 13L at 80C. Mix well and leave settle for 15 mins
Drain, recirculate until runnings are clear
Drain 2nd batch to boiler

All I have to say is good luck.. takes a good 4.5 - 5 hours to complete. Make sure you have extra sparge water ready. You can use it on the second sparge. Look up hybrid fly sparge. It will save you a little time.

All I have to say is good luck.. takes a good 4.5 - 5 hours to complete. Make sure you have extra sparge water ready. You can use it on the second sparge. Look up hybrid fly sparge. It will save you a little time.

Cheers

Yeah, planning to set aside a good part of my day for it

Only concerns are moving liquids between the various vessels.
Have some PVC pipe but need to connect it to my tun

Doing my annual brew of the Zombie Dust clone on Saturday morning. Just chuckin' Citra pellets at a kettle in the early early morn. Should be ready to tap on my birthday.

Shtoked.

Did a Yooper's Pale Ale today. That makes 12 batches since 3/15, under three months. The pace has now slowed down as I'm using a fermentation chamber which limits me to one primary at a time. (I was able to do lot's of primaries before when the temperatures were lower and I could just have multiple carboys in a bathroom.)

Hoping to get some time to brew Slim's Lemon Lime Hefe this weekend. Might have some out of town guests though so it could go either way.

All of my fermenters are totally empty though :(

I can't decide between 1 gallon of rum runner stout or my first 5 gallon batch with rye stout...

I'd love to brew this weekend! I will need to pick up some ingredients for an APA that I'll use with Warrior and Green Bullet hops. It's my first original recipe and I'm a bit nervous because my first sMasH didn't come out good at all.

Making my 3rd batch of 10 gallons of Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes inspired)Friday night. My friends, family and myself can't get enough of this. It's simply fantastic!

Tonight I try my forth attempt at a honey hefe. I normally do 2.5ish gallon batches but I'm going to shoot for 4+ (if my induction top can handle the boil) and split it. I'll ferment one down at 66 or so and let one run wild.

1st attempt at a Dogfish Head 60 Minute clone. It's my first time using any of the hops I need (warrior, amarillo, and simcoe), and I'm pretty pumped.

Brewing a nut brown ale for a quick turn-around brew for an upcoming Brewfest I'm hosting for homebrew-curious colleagues in 2 weeks.

Trying to spread the homebrewing bug one keg at a time...

Latest posts

Back