So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outdoor brewday today. Weissbier.

2E013396-1D78-46A0-B502-2F0F54652F01.jpeg

I usually brew in my daylight basement. I guess I have spring fever, or quarantine fever, or something. I only had to move my equipment about 10 feet to brew on the deck. Supposed to snow again, a little, tomorrow.

Hey everyone - I'm new to this site and I'm excited to bounce ideas off you guys and to learn from you. I'm relatively new to homebrewing, but I definitely caught the bug! I've done a few extract beers, but this weekend I'm kicking down the door and doing my first all-grain. It's an American Ale.

Good luck! Have fun!

Adding the raspberries and lambic culture to the all grain base I brewed two weeks ago in the next leg of my journey towards a Lindemanns clone. My 93 year old mother-in-law loves the stuff.

Brewing a bohemian pils this morning. Also smoking an 8 lb pork but in the traeger and got some beans in the slow cooker. A busy morning, but it will be good when done. :mug:

First brew ever going down tomorrow. The American pale ale extract kit that comes with the set up from more beer. Open to all suggestions, recommendations!

If it came with grains to steep pull them out at 160 degrees or before. After you done with the boil transfer pot to an ice bath and try to cool off to 65-68 as quick as you can. It will take several hours if you don't have a chiller. Stir it up real good with a sanitized spoon before pitching the yeast. Do not ptich over 70 degrees F. Then seal the sanitized fermentor up and let it sit.

57F0CED1-CF61-4571-91AE-F60B5789649C.jpeg
A3A4BD8C-3A58-423B-B2FF-9C24DF5B4240.jpeg
My work cut my hours back and I now have Fridays off along with the accompanying 20% pay cut. Making the best of it currently; just doughed in on a sour, thanks to Gnomebrewer and RPH_Guy for the co-pitch method expertise! Following Gnomebrewer’s process with some slight changes from this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/really-easy-fruit-sour.675345/

this went well and have hit high krausen already.

obligatory brew kettle and fermentation pics...

I brewed my old standby American Pale Ale.

The recipe that I have brewed by far the most over the years is a simple APA that might have started as either a Sierra Nevada or Dechutes clone. I last brewed a batch in Jan 2019. This has always been a beer that I like to drink and my Macro/Wine drinking friends enjoyed.

In 2019 I focused on many improvements in my brewing process including Water Chemistry, Fermentation Temp Control, and Closed Keg Transfers. I have been wanting to brew a series of APA batches with minor changes (less/lighter Crystal, Munich instead of Crystal, different base grains, with grains like wheat or carapils, different yeasts, etc.). I figured brewing my standard recipe would be a good place to start!

2.5 gal batch:
  • 4.5 lbs (90%) Pale (Muntons Extra Pale)
  • 0.5 lb (10%) Crystal 60 (Briess)
  • 30 IBUS Columbus at 60
  • 0.5 oz Cascade at 20
  • 0.5 oz Cascade at 0
  • 0.5 oz Cascade dry hop
  • WLP051 American Ale V
  • Ca: 121, Mg: 11, Na: 49, SO4: 256, Cl: 77
I have always brewed this with WLP001/1056, but have been brewing with WLP051 lately and had that on hand. Turned out a pretty color.

20200419_184730 - Copy.jpg

Hi Guys from Ulrich located in South Africa(Sandton), also a newbie at beer making and enjoy every moment. Was fortunate to purchase a full beer making starter kit from our local brewer suppler on 2020-03-25. So I have all the basic essentials (Equipment) for basic home brewing. Now unfortunately the unthinkable happened yes complete shut-down(2020-03-27) including the ban of all alcohol sales. Needless to say our local brewer suppler was also closed. I Have presently been sourcing all my brewing ingredients from our local super market. The following recipe is my 7th brew which went into one of my water bottles today(2020-04-20):

Syrup Mix:
1kg Brown sugar
500g Unrefined Dark Muscovado soft cane sugar(or blended with treacle syrup)
450g Sweet molasses
3 tsp Raw honey
150g Dry fruit (Puree with blender during simmer)
2L water

Dissolve above and very low simmer for 15 mins

Corn mix:
1kg Pearl Barley (crushed with a coffee grinder)
250g King korn maize malt
2L water start
Simmer Corn mix until thick add boiling water to thin mixture (very slow simmer for ±15 mins)

(If only I had Brewers AmyLase Enzyme would add now to above to break down the starches)

Strain through a standard kitchen sieve and then through a fine fat splash sieve
Add 10 L cold water to your bucket then pour above mixtures into brewing bucket

Yeast Mix:
10g Brewers Yeast or Instant dry cooking yeast
Add Yeast Mix to 1 cup warm water + 2 tsp sugar, activated for 5 mins

Add Yeast mix into bucket when temp is less than 30°

My Start SG was 1.030 hope the final SG will be ±1.005

our average temps are ±22°C and I leave for 6 days before bottling

I add ½ Tsp Icing sugar to my 750ml bottles before filling

Beer should be ready in 3 to 4 days and I serve very cold

If left for longer must be placed in very cold fridge

(If only I had beer finings would add to bucket on 4th day before bottling)

Hopefully our lock-down ends 30 April 2020

Any advice or change to my above recipe will be appreciated
rem: I have no access to any brewers supplies can only use basic
household groceries found in the local shopping centre.

I brewed my old standby American Pale Ale.

The recipe that I have brewed by far the most over the years is a simple APA that might have started as either a Sierra Nevada or Dechutes clone. I last brewed a batch in Jan 2019. This has always been a beer that I like to drink and my Macro/Wine drinking friends enjoyed.

In 2019 I focused on many improvements in my brewing process including Water Chemistry, Fermentation Temp Control, and Closed Keg Transfers. I have been wanting to brew a series of APA batches with minor changes (less/lighter Crystal, Munich instead of Crystal, different base grains, with grains like wheat or carapils, different yeasts, etc.). I figured brewing my standard recipe would be a good place to start!

2.5 gal batch:
  • 4.5 lbs (90%) Pale (Muntons Extra Pale)
  • 0.5 lb (10%) Crystal 60 (Briess)
  • 30 IBUS Columbus at 60
  • 0.5 oz Cascade at 20
  • 0.5 oz Cascade at 0
  • 0.5 oz Cascade dry hop
  • WLP051 American Ale V
  • Ca: 121, Mg: 11, Na: 49, SO4: 256, Cl: 77
I have always brewed this with WLP001/1056, but have been brewing with WLP051 lately and had that on hand. Turned out a pretty color.

View attachment 676527

I have about 20 hop varieties in my freezer but lately I've found myself drawn back to the basics. I just kicked a keg of an excellent American IPA modeled after SN Celebration Ale with a boatload of Chinook, Cascade, and Centennial. Next up an all Centennial modelled after Two Hearted with Bell's yeast.

All that to say I'm loving the old school hop profile of your APA.

Hi Guys from Ulrich located in South Africa(Sandton), also a newbie at beer making and enjoy every moment. Was fortunate to purchase a full beer making starter kit from our local brewer suppler on 2020-03-25. So I have all the basic essentials (Equipment) for basic home brewing. Now unfortunately the unthinkable happened yes complete shut-down(2020-03-27) including the ban of all alcohol sales. Needless to say our local brewer suppler was also closed. I Have presently been sourcing all my brewing ingredients from our local super market. The following recipe is my 7th brew which went into one of my water bottles today(2020-04-20):

Syrup Mix:
1kg Brown sugar
500g Unrefined Dark Muscovado soft cane sugar(or blended with treacle syrup)
450g Sweet molasses
3 tsp Raw honey
150g Dry fruit (Puree with blender during simmer)
2L water

Dissolve above and very low simmer for 15 mins

Corn mix:
1kg Pearl Barley (crushed with a coffee grinder)
250g King korn maize malt
2L water start
Simmer Corn mix until thick add boiling water to thin mixture (very slow simmer for ±15 mins)

(If only I had Brewers AmyLase Enzyme would add now to above to break down the starches)

Strain through a standard kitchen sieve and then through a fine fat splash sieve
Add 10 L cold water to your bucket then pour above mixtures into brewing bucket

Yeast Mix:
10g Brewers Yeast or Instant dry cooking yeast
Add Yeast Mix to 1 cup warm water + 2 tsp sugar, activated for 5 mins

Add Yeast mix into bucket when temp is less than 30°

My Start SG was 1.030 hope the final SG will be ±1.005

our average temps are ±22°C and I leave for 6 days before bottling

I add ½ Tsp Icing sugar to my 750ml bottles before filling

Beer should be ready in 3 to 4 days and I serve very cold

If left for longer must be placed in very cold fridge

(If only I had beer finings would add to bucket on 4th day before bottling)

Hopefully our lock-down ends 30 April 2020

Any advice or change to my above recipe will be appreciated
rem: I have no access to any brewers supplies can only use basic
household groceries found in the local shopping centre.

Try hydrating some unflavored gelatin and adding it as a fining agent.

Brewing either an American ale or an IPA tomorrow. Only have Mosaic and Galaxy hops, but plenty of each. Need to get to work deciding what the hop schedule will be...

Dan

Brewing either an American ale or an IPA tomorrow. Only have Mosaic and Galaxy hops, but plenty of each. Need to get to work deciding what the hop schedule will be...

Dan

Have an all Mosaic on tap now.
32g @ 30 min
21g @10 min
21g @ flameout, 20 min hopstand
Either 21 or 28g dry hop, my notes are crap.
Good luck

Thanks for the comments!

Ended up doing;

1/2 oz (14g) mosaic @60min
1 oz mosaic @ 15min
1 oz galaxy @ 15min

This should net me around 55 IBUs with my 5.5gal batch. Hop smell was intense when racking to primary!

I’ll probably do a hefty dry hop of about 4oz after fermentation slows down, just need to decide what kind of mix of mosaic and galaxy.

Built a starter and pitched WLP095, Burlington ale yeast. I used this in a NEIPA and harvested/washed it. Had a fantastic fruit character, I’m going to keep this yeast around for a while.

House Belgian Pale Ale on deck tomorrow, pending arrival of ingredients which will supposedly be delivered by the end of today. It's a recipe I've been using to test yeast strains, tomorrow I will be pitching Wyeast 3726 I cutured from the last bottle of my last Saison. Will be fermenting at 72F straight through, I think the sweet citrus and mild spice should fit the style well.

Thanks for the comments!

Ended up doing;

1/2 oz (14g) mosaic @60min
1 oz mosaic @ 15min
1 oz galaxy @ 15min

This should net me around 55 IBUs with my 5.5gal batch. Hop smell was intense when racking to primary!

I’ll probably do a hefty dry hop of about 4oz after fermentation slows down, just need to decide what kind of mix of mosaic and galaxy.

Built a starter and pitched WLP095, Burlington ale yeast. I used this in a NEIPA and harvested/washed it. Had a fantastic fruit character, I’m going to keep this yeast around for a while.

4oz dry hop! Somebody's not fooling around. Maybe you should be the person who has "go big or go home" in their signature.

Two batches to do this weekend. One mashing now: Big Rob's Citra Cream Ale that I haven't made in years but am oddly excited for.

Tomorrow's batch is a variant of jlaskey's Pirate Strong Ale. I will be using Alazar's twist with prickly pear and tequila chips. Also looking forward to that one!

Got the grain milled for another batch of Citra/Sabro IPA tomorrow. Third time with this recipe, added some pilsner to the bill to help stretch out the two-row (almost out). Super stoked to use new fermonster tomorrow for the first time, can't wait. Once brewday is done have to schlep 200lbs of milled grain back to my former brewboss, it's been major in the way in the garage the last week. Pushed back by the garage door for easy loading tomorrow morning. Right now enjoying a very undercarbed and not-quite-cold-enough glass of the IPA I kegged this morning; been drinking CL all damn day and I just couldn't wait any longer. It's tasty! Used Mosaic & Crystal as dry hops, it's got a distinct sweet orange-peelish flavor and a great aroma. Best one in a while.

20200425_212700[1].jpg 20200425_212649[1].jpg

Back