So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing 5 gallons of a test batch. Quick fermenting Metheglin. Should be be drinkable and actually tasty(if everything goes as planned) within 7 days of pitching.

Just had the most annoying brew sesh ever. Tried to get an early start. Hadn't wound down enough from work yet. Spilling things all over the place... So annoying. Tomorrow I drink.

Oops, I was thinking the wrong NB kit... I brewed the Phat Tyre already! Picked up 3 of them when they were on sale for $19 each! Tomorrow is Chinook Ale, grain has been crushed, yeast starter is going, cleaned up the brew pots and got around to punching gallon markings into my new Concord boil kettle. I have to get a dust cover made for the brew stand, thinking of ordering some canvas and sewing it to custom fit with a zipper to provide access and easy off. Since it is in my garage/workshop it can get dusty in there at times and I am tired of having to wash everything a second time before I use it.

Did a hefeweizen and decided to do my first ever decoction. It seemed to go well, but the sacch rest was a touch lower temp than anticipated, but still in the okay range. We shall see if the decoc was worth the effort, but it wasn't as difficult as I had heard.

Too many things going wrong today with brew day. Darn beans taking forever to soften up on the stove, since I forgot to soak'em overnight. Then dropbox messing with my memory card after 2 takes with BC grain mill screw ups. Shiz gets fubared when bulk get angry...I quit till morning. :mad:
On a lighter note, one of the Greenx guys brews & makes wine. He instantly recognized what I was doing...funny though, he didn't recognize the grain mill?

Just wrapped up a session saison that'll be dry hopped with 4oz of citra. Cleaning kegs now and will be kegging some sort of double dry hopped American wheat IPA kind of thing.

LHBS has a mini-competition to do a Belgian IPA, so I picked up a small supply (60% pilsner, 36% pale 4% aromatic, along with a f***ton of hops, relatively speaking, and WY 3522) yesterday to make it today.

It's currently chilling in the sink, to get to pitching temperature. It's Saaz and Cascade for the aroma (late addition, and dry-hopping), and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

2-gallon batch, scaled down from a 19L recipe.

Did a hefeweizen and decided to do my first ever decoction. It seemed to go well, but the sacch rest was a touch lower temp than anticipated, but still in the okay range. We shall see if the decoc was worth the effort, but it wasn't as difficult as I had heard.

Brewing a hefeweizen also today. Usually do a single infusion mash for my house hefe, but did do a Traditional multiple step mash today so we'll see if I can (or my wife, it's her favorite) taste a difference.....

Chinook IPA is in the fermenter. First runnings into the pot after vorlauf... nice and clear, only a few grain bits from the spoon I was resting in the boil kettle.

IMG_20160702_1753055411_zpsgkacmtjy.jpg

Sparging with my homemade copper sparge bar. Works well!

IMG_20160702_1753217221_zpsofozzr6q.jpg

Gonna try brew day, take two today. Think I got glitches fixed with pic upload software to try filming more of it today? Grains crushed, two yeast packs swelled nicely...

Waiting on the mash tun to heat up to 155F or so. This Mumme' gruit ale is a different animal. A pound of cooked & coarsely mashed beans go in with the grains for 90 minutes @ 152-153F. Gotta go check the mash water temp again...

After getting the right element heated up, the BK/MT to 158F, I used the coarsely mashed beans as chill scrap. Then added the grains, & stirred. It all mixed so easily, I was surprised. 90 minutes counting down. Gotta heat sparge water in a bit.

LoDO Helles.

Will be my first time employing low DO techniques to the mash and boil, as well as first time doing a closed fermentation. I've got 3 kegs and 3 sets of spunding valves ready to go.

I'll be brewing a metheglin and a coffee mead(not sure what that falls under) tomorrow.

Decided I was going to do a double today... brewing a new Wit recipe as well as another take on my Migratory Coconut Stout...it's 95 degrees out...why'd I decide to do this.

Decided I was going to do a double today... brewing a new Wit recipe as well as another take on my Migratory Coconut Stout...it's 95 degrees out...why'd I decide to do this.

I'm also planning on doing a wit and coconut stout this weekend. Prepping the stout now, saving the wit for tomorrow.

Probably gonna brew 5 gal of Resurgence's Oktoberfest from BYO magazine. Using wlp 820 rather than 830.

We have our friend Matt coming over again for a second brew day, and this time he is bringing SWMBO, thinking that she might like to do this too. We have another round of our AG Flat Tire Crone to do, the grain is all measured and ready to mill. In the past we've used BRY-97 for this recipe, but this time we'll try some Mangrove Jack M44, just to be different! And we just tapped Yooper's House Pale Ale, hoping it's carbed up just right for tomorrow.

Brewing the Hop Bomb IPA several people helped me tweak the recipe for on Sunday, 14oz of hops in 5.5 gal. Gonna be tasty.

Wow. Good luck with that. As a non-bitter hop fan, I think you have chosen wisely and wish you godspeed!

Back