So my first partial-mash was my worst beer ever.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
So like my title says, there's just alot of problems with it. First of all, the beer looks hazy/cloudy to the point where I can't see it. Secondly, the beer feels a very fuzzy/flimy feel to my tongue and teeth that does not go away. Third, the head looks like floating flakes and has a very un-appetizing look. It's even slightly pukey. I'm just surprised because I've never had a spoiled beer but it seems like alot went bad

About the only thing that looks good is the colour...

Any suggestions relating to the problems beside the pukey spoilage taste?

Well, the haziness could be from incomplete conversion- a starchy beer would be a hazy cloudy beer. Fuzzy/filmy sounds like diacetyl- which is "slick" or oily on the tongue in small amounts, but tastes like butter in large amounts.

"Pukey" and "fuzzy" does sound like an infection. A lacto infection could even explain the haziness also.

Well, the haziness could be from incomplete conversion- a starchy beer would be a hazy cloudy beer. Fuzzy/filmy sounds like diacetyl- which is "slick" or oily on the tongue in small amounts, but tastes like butter in large amounts.

"Pukey" and "fuzzy" does sound like an infection. A lacto infection could even explain the haziness also.

So since I never had these problems before for other extract recipes, would this all be related to my partial mash technique? What should I do ensure full conversion, a starchy beer, and diacetyl?

Thanks.

Definitely let us know what your process was. We might be able pinpoint some trouble sots for you.

Doing a partial mash could explain the haze if it is a protein haze. However, diacetyl would (I believe) be from fermentation issues and an infection would be from something post-boil. Neither of those two things are influenced by the partial-mash.

Doing a partial mash could explain the haze if it is a protein haze. However, diacetyl would (I believe) be from fermentation issues and an infection would be from something post-boil. Neither of those two things are influenced by the partial-mash.

Infections can cause diacetyl as well, so that could explain a few things the OP is experiencing that are off.

-I pretty much followed the thread on stove-top partial mashing
-I feel my temps were off during the mash process....
-I usually do closed fermentation, but THIS TIME decided to use my plastic open fermentation
-Being my first mash, I noticed I was not as a efficient I guess at my mash since my OG was below what was calculated using Beertools
-Once I noticed the krausen was down, I put it into a secondary fermenter for about 2 weeks.

I could provide more details if you guys had anymore questions.

Could be the open fermentation let in something that you didn't want to get in there. Also, how did you cool the batch? I know my first partial mash my IC also went down, so I never got a good cold break. It developed a heck of a chill haze that definitely made it very cloudy and made the head real thick with all the proteins floating around. I feel like extract has removed a lot of those proteins that you can get from grain, so a good cold break doesn't make as big of a deal. Other than that though it tasted fine, so I don't think that would be the culprit for all your problems.

I'm getting ready to do my first partial mash for an Oatmeal Stout after a few extract brews under my belt. I'm hoping for better results but very interested in the answers here.

I think holding mash temp will be the hardest (which you also eluded to) but I was told putting my pot in the oven on WARM setting should assist in stability of temp.

Comments/questions inline:

-I feel my temps were off during the mash process....
Did you measure your temps? If so, what were the specifically, or at least in what range?
-I usually do closed fermentation, but THIS TIME decided to use my plastic open fermentation
How open? Like top of the bucket left off for a day, two? A week? Or was the lid just resting on top of the bucket, but not sealed down?
-Being my first mash, I noticed I was not as a efficient I guess at my mash since my OG was below what was calculated using Beertools
What efficiency were you assuming?
-Once I noticed the krausen was down, I put it into a secondary fermenter for about 2 weeks.
So you moved it as soon as the krausen dropped, did you take any gravity readings before moving it?

Without having the answers to my above questions, I'll provide some info based on assumptions which I can correct later if the info you provide is different enough to warrant it.

1. If you don't know what your temps were in the mash stage, this is your first problem. A couple of degrees Fahrenheit can make a big difference in the fermentability of your wort, and this also ties directly in to your efficiency.
2. With regards to open fermentation, if you truly just left the lid off without even mutting as much as a cheese cloth over the top of the bucket, you're just asking for an infection. Flies, dust getting blown out from an AC vent, someone sneezing in the vicinity of the beer, and a myriad of other things are just waiting to get into your beer to contaminate it. Sure, you can do open fermentation successfully as a home brewer, but certain precautions must be taken still.
3. Moving a beer before it's done fermenting in the primary can cause a stalled fermentation, which can lead to vast quantities of diacetyl in your beer*. If the beer is within a couple of gravity points of finishing, you can usually move it without problems, say if you wanted to use the last few gravity points to naturally carb the beer in a keg or cask, but moving after the krausen drops doesn't tell you anything about the state of the beer. Sure the most active part of fermentation is over, but you could still have 10+ gravity points to drop. It is very important to use your hydrometer before doing anything with your beer post fermentation.

*Diacetyl is a an intermediate product produced by the yeast during fermentation. Some of it hangs around for a while, but eventually the yeast come across it and it gets reincorporated into the fermentation process and converted down to the appropriate fermentation by products (ethanol and CO2). If the yeast aren't given the time to finish their job, they won't go back and find all the excess by-products they created and clean them up, which gives icky off flavours.

Back