So I'm looking for a dog....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like a lot of you guys have experience going to the SPCA or local shelters and finding a GOOD dog!

What are some the qualities/characteristics you looked for?

For our first dog, we wanted something no bigger than 50-60 lbs, and a female. We found a puppy on petfinder, and adopted her. She turned out to be 65 lbs, but thats ok, we love her anyway. Or second, well, there wasn't any criteria. If I can ever figure out to how to post pictures here, I will.

And Yoop, I strongly disagree with you on the Rottweilers being aggressive. They have a bad rap because of their size and looks. I have known several before getting my own. He is protective of us and our first dog I mentioned above, but not aggressive. The others I know (or knew - RIP Prince) are all very calm and mild mannered. They can be stubborn, and sometimes hard to train, but I've not known an aggressive Rottweiler.

Darwin, you probably don't want a Rottweiler, they are big. Mine is about 110 lbs.

It sounds like a lot of you guys have experience going to the SPCA or local shelters and finding a GOOD dog!

What are some the qualities/characteristics you looked for?

Well, first of all, some shelters have "sponsored pets" so adoption fees are greatly reduced. What that means is that some pet-lovers have donated as much as $100 to reduce the adoption fee. (People like me- I donate for cages, pet adoption fees, etc, so that people with little money can get a great dog, and neutered! for $25 or so).

Secondly, look for a "breed". I don't mean a purebred dog (although ours is). But, "breed characteristics". Labs are known to be loving and gentle, with males being closer to people. Male labs want to be NEXT to you at all times. Females will still stay close but in the next room. Huskys are aloof, and need to run, etc. Poodles are intelligent, but need a strong leader, etc.

One of my pet peeves came out again today, when I looked at Petfinder.com to get the link. People got dogs for their status, and then discarded them for being their breeds! Examples: collie (sheds too much); dalmation (hyper); walker treehound (barks and chases things); pit bull (can't get along with other male dogs), etc. WTF!?! It's not the dogs' fault they are their breed! Keep in mind that some characteristics are exaggerated- but still, usually an issue in the long run. Pit bulls can be wonderful family dogs, for example. But you can't get a home day care license in Michigan if you own one.

What do you want? High energy, quiet, docile, etc, are all "breed characteristics" although there are always exceptions. I know you mentioned size. If that's important, then look for that. My opinion (and take it for what it's worth- dog owner for 25+ years) is that smaller dogs have more risks. Because of their smaller size, they seem to need to be more "dominant" in a home. I would rather walk up to a pit bull than a chihauhua. I know that's an extreme example, but my experience with hunting dogs and pets is that the smaller dogs can be more hyper. Not always, of course- but be aware of their characteristics.

Mixed breed dogs are great! A couple of things to look out for: aloofness. That sounds weird, but sometimes dogs are not "people dogs" and they'll be friendly, but kind of aloof. They never really "bond" to their owners. I've seen this in huskies- tolerate their owners, but not really a pet to cuddle and be a companion. And boy, do they want to RUN! Some dogs are destructive when alone- ask about that! You don't want to get attached to a dog to find that he has separation anxiety and trashes your house when you're gone. If a shelter dog jumps or pulls on the leash, those issues are irritating, but easily fixable with some training, so don't be dissuaded.

A dog that meets you, and focuses on you is a great start. They'll look at you like "what? what are we doing now?" A dog that seems to be distracted may be just be glad to get out of the kennel, though, so give him a chance!

Older dogs tend to be more "what you see is what you get". You can still train them; Toby is a great example- he didn't know any commands when we got him and now he knows more than 20!- but you'll know their size, temperament, chewing habits, separation issues, etc.

It's hard, but try not to fall in love with a dog at first sight! Like buying a car, you need to consider your ability to handle that car (dog). If you're new to dogs, you don't need a high maintanence dog like Bedlam has. You need a more easy going dog. If you're not real great at discipline, you don't want a poodle, because a dog like that will realize who's in control (him)! If your wife is not a strong personality, you may want to consider a bigger dog, like a golden retriever or a lab, where they are almost always submissive to any human. As I said, my 5 year old nephew can easily handle my 80 pound lab. He just has to say "Toby, no!" and Toby almost bows in submission. Some dogs wouldn't be so easily stopped.

All the rotties I've known were big marshmallows.

Yeah, me too. I've had greet experiences with alot of rotties. Except for one.

But that one almost killed somebody. Not due to his breed, really- it was environment. He was NOT a dog that should have been loose, and should not have been owned by disreputable owners. But if the same environment had raised a toy poodle, the kid wouldn't have been mauled as badly.

I don't have an issue with any breed of dog, really- my comments were generalizations on what to look for in a shelter dog. There are plenty of rotties and pit bulls in American's shelters. I think those dogs are a crap shoot. Probably just fine. But maybe not. You just don't know when you're dealing with a shelter dog.

love rott's. And Dobermins. And pitbulls. All the attack dogs are sweeties unless you are and ******* and train them as such.

APBT. Best dog ever.

At 62lbs hes on the high side for his breed. Anything bigger its a mix or an AmStaff.

Smart, very submissive and extremely loving.

<snip>
But if the same environment had raised a toy poodle, the kid wouldn't have been mauled as badly.
</snip>

The key words are "as badly", Rottweilers are a strong, and big breed, while toy poodles are... toys. Even a regular poodle wouldn't do as much damage as the Rottweiler. Depending on how they're brought up, treated, and trained, any dog has the capacity to do harm, regardless of the breed.

The key words are "as badly", Rottweilers are a strong, and big breed, while toy poodles are... toys. Even a regular poodle wouldn't do as much damage as the Rottweiler. Depending on how they're brought up, treated, and trained, any dog has the capacity to do harm, regardless of the breed.

Absolutely! I agree. Honestly, when I go to a new patient's home (I work in home care), I'm far more afraid of a toy breed than a "big" dog. A big dog will at least let you know where you stand, where a smaller dog may not do that until he bites you. Most rotties bark, and then roll over for me to rub their tummies. Most dobies love me. Miniature dobies are different, though. Most Yorkies are little bastards.

The issue (and I'm sorry for the threadjack!) is NOT the breed itself. It's just that if a dog is going to be vicious, I'd rather have it be a dog that can only bite my ankles. My body and face, while old and decrepit, is all I got. My point is that getting a shelter dog is a great thing! But be aware of aware of why the dog is in the shelter- and sometimes people lie. "Owners moved" seems to be more acceptable than "Dog is Aggressive", "Dog pisses everywhere", "Dog scared my kids", no matter what the breed!

The issue (and I'm sorry for the threadjack!) is NOT the breed itself. It's just that if a dog is going to be vicious, I'd rather have it be a dog that can only bite my ankles. My body and face, while old and decrepit, is all I got. My point is that getting a shelter dog is a great thing! But be aware of aware of why the dog is in the shelter- and sometimes people lie. "Owners moved" seems to be more acceptable than "Dog is Aggressive", "Dog pisses everywhere", "Dog scared my kids", no matter what the breed!

Yeah, sorry for the threadjack. I'll try bringing it back on topic here:

Some dogs just need better training. The ones given up for behavioral issues haven't been trained properly, and need a strong trainer to correct the issues. These types of dogs need to go to a person who knows how to handle dogs, not an inexperienced person getting their first dog. So, Darwin, you should get a younger dog, like a puppy, so you can train it properly in the first place. You mentioned going to a training class. That's the best thing you can do to prevent behavioral issues. I would recommend doing the basic training, then move on to the advanced training. Don't just stick with the basics. Dogs are smart (some more than others), and the more you train, the better behaved they become.

Shelter workers get a chance to see how dogs interact with others and people while working with them. Many shelters even have behaviorists on staff to evaluate animals that come on. Rescue organizations are able to have even more face time with the animals to determine their adoptability and personality.

Regular Poodles are large aggressive and very deadly if trained or mistreated.

Check out the first video on Youtube (enter Boston Terrier)
It's a great dog! This is ours- Nicki

Boston Terrier Rescue

The breed are LAP dogs! If you don't want a dog that lays on you whenever possible...don't get a Boston. This is her after a walk.

CHECK OUT: Boston Terrier Rescue

I second the boston terrier. Had one growing up and the girlfriend and I picked one up a few months back. Awesome dogs. I live in a small townhome and she does fine. Excellent lap dog but still has enough play in her to be fun. We also have two cats and she is fine with them. A little horseplay but no hurt feelings at the end of the day. She's also extremely intelligent. Her name is Alice. Here she is at 4 months old:

4.jpg

8.jpg

Vet said she'd max out at 20 lbs. I've seen bigger and smaller ones.

I have a Cocker spaniel(Maggie) and an English bulldog(Moe). When she was a puppy, she peed every time someone said hello. As she got older, that stopped. Moe on the other hand is a big gassy slobbery lump. He thinks he is a lapdog too. Both are purebred with papers. Maggie is 10, mo is 9. Both still have lots of energy, but the Cocker spaniel is still wound a little tight.

My next dog will be a male Dachsund. Short haired. His name will be Frank. Looking now for a puppy.

The lady that lives behind me has her Dad over for dinner on wed. and sun, and he brings Fritz, the Dachsund. He is so fat, his belly drags on the ground.(Not Healthy)
A guy in my neighborhood has 3. 2 short hair males, and a long haired female. The Lady directly across the street has a female long hair. I am surrounded by Dachsunds. All are great dogs, get along with Maggie and Moe.
1 vote for Dachsunds.

Size is one consideration, but you have to take the individual breed personality characteristics into account. We have a beagle who we adopted from the local SPCA two years ago, and that decision was driven by the fact that I work from home and could be around to do the crate training, housebreaking, etc. If I have to run errands or go to a business meeting, Bailey retires to his crate and naps until my return. While the breed can develop separation anxiety issues (because they are so intensely pack-oriented), early socialization and a good trainer will help immensely.

bailey_flash.jpg

IMG_3743.JPG

Hunting breeds, especially scent hounds, can be difficult to train because they have an independent streak (which we bred into them in the first place!). Bailey's ears shut off when he's tracking a scent.

Definitely work with your local shelter. Dedicated breed rescue groups tend to be extremely weird about placement. And as many people have mentioned, mutts tend to be much healthier than pure-breeds. Racing greyhounds are probably the only exception, because they only get bred after a successful career and there are major restrictions on inbreeding.

Great dogs, but even the smallest ones are 45 lbs.

Although they are larger than what you might want.

Pluses: Gentle, patient, very friendly, affectionate, great with cats, smart and easy to train. Loves kids.

Negatives: Puppy stage lasts about 2 years. Long hair requires grooming. Pretty much useless as a watch dog.

Whatever you choose, I strongly recommend you "crate-train" your dog. In the end it makes for a secure, happy pet.

Although they are larger than what you might want.

Pluses: Gentle, patient, very friendly, affectionate, great with cats, smart and easy to train. Loves kids.

Negatives: Puppy stage lasts about 2 years. Long hair requires grooming. Pretty much useless as a watch dog.

Whatever you choose, I strongly recommend you "crate-train" your dog. In the end it makes for a secure, happy pet.

Yep. And they shed like crazy, requiring almost daily vacuuming. But it's SO worth it!

Great thread!!!

While I agree with the general sentiment that shelters are great, there is no need to write off all breeders. Responsible breeders do a great job and produce the best dogs in the world. Literally. It is a fact. The only down side to getting a very nice pedigreed dog is the price. Winston was $1200 15 years ago, came with a contract promising to have him neutered, and two interviews to ensure my family was suited to be a good and responsible dog owner.

Puppy Mills are atrocious. But blanket statements about breeders in general are false.

Let me start off by saying I love goldens, my family has had 3 in my lifetime, friends & family have had/have now more than I can count on two hands...

It seems you're not interested in the need to train & exercise a dog that has a good amount of energy. While Goldens are great dogs, I feel without the necessary training, they can be a handfull for at least the first 2-3 years of their lives.

In my opinion the best dogs are mutts that have some part lab in them. If you can find a young lab mutt with what seems to be a good personality at a shelter, I think you're on the right path.

The pup in my avatar is a Shiba Inu, and is NOT what you are looking for haha. But oh do I love that dog...

OK. Best is a subjective word. Mutts make incredible pets and often have the best makeup for the average pet owner. I was speaking more to looks and abilities (e.g., hunting dogs).

OK. Best is a subjective word. Mutts make incredible pets and often have the best makeup for the average pet owner. I was speaking more to looks and abilities (e.g., hunting dogs).

True. Generally, mutts don't have the neuroses that some purebreds can have. They also tend to not get some of the medical issues common in certain breeds, like hip dysplasia. I

f I had my druthers, I would have found a mixed breed. When we were looking, we were looking for a smaller dog, too. I was NOT looking for a purebred 70 pound lab! But, oh, am I glad we found him!

Good luck on your pet search. Let us know what you end up with!

Best show dogs and working dogs, I'll give you that one. Best pets, I still go for mutts any day. :)

If I had my druthers, I would have found a mixed breed. When we were looking, we were looking for a smaller dog, too. I was NOT looking for a purebred 70 pound lab! But, oh, am I glad we found him!

That's just how it works! We weren't even looking for a dog, let alone a certain breed or type. I went to the rescue to drop off some commercials I produced for them and they offered to give me a tour. Then I'm faced with big brown eyes looking at me and I turned to mush. I didn't adopt him, he adopted me.

the cocker's I've known were all too high strung.

I would not put a Corgi on your list either. They are too much of a working breed and even if they don't chase the cats, they may drive you nuts with their 'needyness'.

We have two of the little bast...dogs.

You want one like the one on the right. that little bastard will tear your heart out with a wink. ;) the Half-Beagle on the left will just crap on your carpet.

122.jpg

I've known quite a few people with cockers and they've never been high-strung or messy.

springers or brittanies are much better

Agreed there, however.

My family had a cock-a-poo (don't feel alone on the silly names, LGI :D) and that was a great dog. A little hyper, a bit of a *****, but very easy to train, medium sized, didn't shed and was just the most intelligent and loveable dog I've ever known.

No matter what, get a mutt. A lot of purebred breeds have problems, especially if they are selling them to the general public.

In-laws had a cocker when I first met my wife. Not a good dog. Could be the owners fault. Lots of old-fashioned misconceptions in their training.

We've had beagles and they are great small dogs if you don't mind the fact that they will travel long distances with their nose to the ground, and they bark and everything that moves. Plus, if they catch a scent, they will not take commands. Their tracking urge takes over.

We've had a Golden and while a large dog, the size is easy to get used to when you see how loving they are and how well the bond. They love to fetch and play and get petted. Some will get huge.

We have a Yellow Lab and she is very loving and loves to fetch. Another vote for a dog that is not as small as you want, but makes up for it in personality.

I'd recommend a radio fence for your yard. It sounds like they will have plenty of room to run and a radio fence is an easy way to train them to stay in the yard (most of the time). Much more reliable than simply hoping they will remember their training when a stranger come by, or an animal is seen.

Goldens and Labs will bond with the whole family, cats included. And they love water!

I have a golden retriever and Chocolate Lab. They are both great. I also have had 2 kids since i've gotten the dogs. The dogs are both female so they took on a maternal role when the kids were babies. There were a few times when they were able to calm the kids when me and the wife had tried everything and couldn't.

if you're willing to spend the money english bulldog. i've got one and he's super laid back, sleeps about 20 hrs a day. they average about 55lbs but they're small. if you do decide on one make sure you research your breeder really good though.

I'll second the beagle. A little anxious as a puppy but now he's 5 and is awesome. Always happy to see you and will curl up next to you any time. Just have to keep him in a fenced yard or on a leash, no chance of walking it without one.

I'll second the beagle. A little anxious as a puppy but now he's 5 and is awesome. Always happy to see you and will curl up next to you any time. Just have to keep him in a fenced yard or on a leash, no chance of walking it without one.

That's what people said when I got my basset, but after much training I can walk him off leash.

A word of caution there - never get too confident. All it takes is a fresh scent and he could be off like a bullet.

+1 Trained or not. Still an animal with a mind of it's own. My dogs are well respectful of the undersground fence. Put a cat in the neighbors yard. Screw the fence, says jack (Weim), I can take the hit for a cat!

If you're anywhere that you might meet another dog, I'd advise against walking off leash. I know my dog is friendly and obedient, but I don't want to come around the corner and meet one that isn't without having some control over the situation.

+1 Trained or not. Still an animal with a mind of it's own. My dogs are well respectful of the undersground fence. Put a cat in the neighbors yard. Screw the fence, says jack (Weim), I can take the hit for a cat!

A lot of this is breed dependent, too. Scent hounds like beagles are single-minded and focused on tracking that scent; the odds are against you to call them off scent and back to you.

Hunting breeds like your Weimeraner are the same way - prey drive kicks in and off they go.

I know a place where you can get a set of these;

100_4391.JPG

Cheap!

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy. You know?

Lemme know ASAP if you want I should set this up cause it may take a while. These units are kept somewhere in Ohio.

;)

We have some chipmunks in our yard and I really don't know if anything could call him off when he's tracking one of them. I've read about using shock collars (Hear me out first!!!) I guy I know uses them on the lowest setting and only to get the dog's attention. With a beagle I'm tempted to try it. He's so single minded a little pop just to break his concentration might help. Like I say, I am NOT considering this for punishment, just to get his attention. Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if he ignored it. Typical beagle focus. :D

Best way to get a beagle's attention is through his nose. Positive reinforcement and treats. Save the REALLY good treats for when you're training the recall - bits of chicken, cheese, etc.

Back