So I got a job in a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Yup, It's as awesome as it sounds too.

The Ex is like a money siphoning leech, that...combined with the mortgage meant it was time to take on a few extra hours(or have no $$ for brewing, let alone lunch).

I wanted a part time job that I could enjoy. I was open to working at home depot or similar, and I am by no way above manual labor. But I lucked out, emailed some breweries and actually got a few reply's.

They liked the fact that I had an understanding of the brewing process and I wasn't there to one day become a commercial brewer(but who knows).

I tour the place, when I'm not touring, I get to pour beer's for our visitors.(Yes I get to sip a few while I do it) (12 beers on tap :rockin: )

It's like winning the lotto. A lotto where you work Saturdays.......

Best part of the job - its a blast
Worst part - Filling numerous growlers

Ill likely reach out to the homebrew community with questions I cant answer...to be prepared for the next time I'm asked :mug:

Anyone know why the spigot you attach to a Fermentor (pigtail) has spirals? Two people have asked as I pour them fresh brew from a bright tank. I tell them its to have a proper siphon, sometimes jokingly i tell them its because of science lol.

Thanks!

Congrats dude, I know the feeling of wanting to give it a shot outside of the home.

my local brewery has offered me 3 times to be on nearly equal footing with the owner and head brewer to manage the brewing side of things (they also serve food). Each time its gotten a bit more serious. Actually started talking about benefits last time

I wouldve come aboard a while ago if I didnt so desperately need my corporate health insurance and 401k. Its not fun growing up. I was hoping to stay a manchild for at least another 5 years or so. And yeah, they will try the stuff I bring them on the job too. Majorly jealous

What kinda stuff are you guys making?

I know for homebrew kegs, there's a certain line length you need to prevent it from foaming like crazy. If the bright tank is adjacent to where you are pouring I bet that is what it's for.

Most likely for line balancing. Or, that is, to keep the beer from shooting out like a fire hose making nothing but foam.

This is correct. There are sampling valves that dont use a pigtail and mitigate that risk other ways, but the pigtail is kind of a classic design.

Ha yea, well, that would be awesome. But they need staff who have a part time job and aren't going to be harassing the brewers and constantly requesting they be trained in commercial brewing. The brewer's are always happy to have observers and are great about asking questions, but they have a job to do!

Latest posts

Back