So here's the plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiftbradley

Reaction score
I bought my first corny keg a few weeks back with the idea of slowly making the transition. On the side it reads in pen "packed with paracyitic acid 3/16/07", it is still full of this solution. The home brewer I bought it from got it back then along with a few others and has not used this one ever. He said all the other ones were fine so he assumed this one will hold pressure and work fine as well. Tomorrow my package will arrive with my ball lock disconnects, picnic tap, and handheld portable co2 charger. The plan is to naturally carb in the keg over the next two weeks, then leave the keg outside overnight to cool (no room for fridge right now) then put in a rubermaid tube ice water bath to serve from when I bring it indoors. Maybe just leave it outside, but I worry about someone walking off with my precious. So what do you guys think of the plan? Will it need new o rings for sure after 2 years? What the hell is paracyitic acid(google was no help amazingly!). Also, with the lack of a means to check my psi be a problem. Thanks guys, I've learned so much reading this forum, feels nice to actually post something.

Do you have a co2 tank as well?

Because your beer will certainly go flat towards the middle-end of serving it unless you force carb. Also, if new orings are cheap, you might as well install them. At least on the gas-in/beer-out posts.

Other than that though, your plan sounds like it should work just fine!

edit: and also, I have no idea what paracyitic acid is. Does he mean phosphoric acid?

So you are saying that the handheld co2 charger, while ok for dispensing, will not keep the pressure high enough to keep the co2 from coming out of solution?

I think what he's saying is that a handheld is more for dispencing your beer. You really need a 5-20# tank if your planning or carbing your beer in the keg and doing this often..

And if you have a tank you really don't need the hand held. I think alot of guys might use them for travel situations where space is limited.

If your planning on carbing using Dextrose then I guess he handheld would work for dispencing although I've never used one..

For the cost of a #5 tank and regulator you'd be far better off..

Surely I would be better off with a 5# tank and regulator, but as I do not have those things I am more interested in any faults or problems that might arise with my current set up.

Latest posts

Back