SN Glissade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
I just had some of Sierra Nevada's Glissade. Wow! What a great beer. They call it a golden bock. Perfect blend of malt and bitter. 42 IBUs and 6.4% alcohol. I wish they made this all year but it's a seasonal beer. Get some while you can.:)

I bought a six pack last week. I agree with you, it's a very good beer, but the first one I opened had a definite musty aroma. Every one since then has been ok though. Still, it left a bad first impression.

I've had a twelver per weekend for about the last 3 weeks. It's a nice changeup from the pale ale I usually get (since it's all the RiteAid down the street carries in twelve packs that's worth drinking).

KingBrianI, I had that happen with a sixer of Celebration I got once. One of them was completely skunked, the rest were fine. Weird how that happens.

I just finished off the 4 that a friend left here last night. This one is a nice malt forward beer that it really easy to drink. All in all really good, it is funny I pretty much enjoy all of the beer from SN except the PA, you all can have that one, I'll take the rest!

Mybe too easy to drink. The other day I had three before I knew it, and at 6.4% that will mess you up quick.:drunk:

Just tried SN Glissade and really enjoyed it! Trying to make a clone but couldn't find a recipe... so I'm trying my hand at making things up :)

If anyone has a recipe I would love to see it, but otherwise, any comments on whether the following might taste close to a SN Glissade? The bitterness was deliberately shortchanged a little, and the abv increased a nudge.

Thanks for any help you've got!

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
54% 6 8 German Two-row Pils 36 2
21% 2 8 Belgian Pils 37 2
17% 2 0 Munich Malt 37 9
4% 0 8 American Crystal 15L 34 15
4% 0 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1
12 0

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity 1.065 (1.058 to 1.067)

Final Gravity 1.015 (1.013 to 1.016)

Color: 7° SRM / 13° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Estimated Mash Efficiency: 75%

Hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.5 Magnum pellet 14.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle pellet 8.0
boil 15 mins 1.25 Tettnanger pellet 4.5
aroma 5 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer pellet 8.5

Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness:
15.0 HBU
40.4 IBU

ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

Yeast: German Lager

Alcohol
6.7% A.B.V.
5.2% A.B.W.

Misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 5 min 0.5 ounces Irish Moss

Just tried SN Glissade and really enjoyed it! Trying to make a clone but couldn't find a recipe... so I'm trying my hand at making things up :)

If anyone has a recipe I would love to see it, but otherwise, any comments on whether the following might taste close to a SN Glissade? The bitterness was deliberately shortchanged a little, and the abv increased a nudge.

If you really wanna match it, I'd take a look at the info on SN's site, especially with regard to the hopping.

alcohol content 6.4% by volume
beginning gravity 15.5 Plato
ending gravity 3.2 Plato
bitterness units 42

yeast Lager Yeast
bittering hops German Magnum & German Perle
finishing hops German Spalter, Slovenian Aurora & Styrian
malts Two-row Pale, Europils, Munich
& Crystal

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/glissade.html

i agree...great beer and it's a nice addition to SNs growing repertoire. i only wish they hadn't ditched ESB to make room for it in the seasonal lineup!

Thanks Matt - the SN site info you quoted was actually what I used to put that recipe together, with some substitutions since my home brew shop is on the smaller side :)

Now I am just hoping someone with a good sense of how that combination will come out can pipe in re: ratios etc.

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
54% 6 8 German Two-row Pils 36 2
21% 2 8 Belgian Pils 37 2
17% 2 0 Munich Malt 37 9
4% 0 8 American Crystal 15L 34 15
4% 0 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1
12 0

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity 1.065 (1.058 to 1.067)

Final Gravity 1.015 (1.013 to 1.016)

Color: 7° SRM / 13° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Estimated Mash Efficiency: 75%

Hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.5 Magnum pellet 14.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle pellet 8.0
boil 15 mins 1.25 Tettnanger pellet 4.5
aroma 5 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer pellet 8.5

Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness:
15.0 HBU
40.4 IBU

ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

Yeast: German Lager

Alcohol
6.7% A.B.V.
5.2% A.B.W.

Misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 5 min 0.5 ounces Irish Moss

Looks great. If you go to the SN web site they tell you what most of the ingredient are.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/glissade.html

This is from their site.

alcohol content 6.4% by volume
beginning gravity 15.5 Plato
ending gravity 3.2 Plato
bitterness units 42
malts Two-row Pale, Europils, Munich
& Crystal
yeast Lager Yeast
bittering hops German Magnum & German Perle
finishing hops German Spalter, Slovenian Aurora & Styrian

I'm just having a Glissade, and to my surprise I like it a lot. I generally drink only ales and love them hops, but this is very good. As someone said, it is very very easy to drink at 6.4%.

Those guys are so good. Everything they brew is terrific. I had a couple of Glissade and it's not my favorite, but very impressive.

Was anyone else reminded of BMC when drinking this? I've enjoyed all other SN products, but this one fell short on my palette.

I really like this brew. I immediately thought, "this is what the big three wish they were" when I took my first sip. Complex and balanced flavor, very drinkable and very clean. I plan on making a clone for my next batch, but I'm not sure how I can get the bock style using ale techniques.

Was anyone else reminded of BMC when drinking this? I've enjoyed all other SN products, but this one fell short on my palette.

I dunno if I'd go that far, but I know what you're talkin about. The beer is fairly subtle in flavor. Not really my thing personally, but it's still better quality than anything BMC has ever done.

Does this Pale Ale treat the hops like a flower, adding citrus and elegant hop flavors to it, or just as a blunt weapon. I only ask because SN's Pale ale and Torpedo don't really do much with the hops but bitterness. To get an idea of what i am talking about, i think Dog Fish Head 60 min and Founders Continental IPA treat the hop in floral way, yes quite bitter but with a wonderfully delicate hop flavor at the same time. So which is it?

Does this Pale Ale treat the hops like a flower, adding citrus and elegant hop flavors to it, or just as a blunt weapon. I only ask because SN's Pale ale and Torpedo don't really do much with the hops but bitterness. To get an idea of what i am talking about, i think Dog Fish Head 60 min and Founders Continental IPA treat the hop in floral way, yes quite bitter but with a wonderfully delicate hop flavor at the same time. So which is it?

This isn't a pale ale, it's a golden bock. And the bitterness is not high at all. I find the balance tends to malty and the hops are very light to me, and tend to floral/herbal.

Yes you are correct it is not a PA or IPA, sorry. But it sounds like it has what i am looking for. Sounds like a good session except for the 6.2 alcohol content. I think i will give it a go.

Yes you are correct it is not a PA or IPA, sorry. But it sounds like it has what i am looking for. Sounds like a good session except for the 6.2 alcohol content. I think i will give it a go.

You got that right, it's a deadly session beer because it is so drinkable at 6.2%! This is a "whoa, what the hell just happened?" when you finally get up from your chair if you try to session it.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Glissade
Brewer: biGhuK
Asst Brewer:
Style: Mailbock/Helles Bock
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.67 %
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 oz Magnum [10.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [5.80 %] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 164.9 F 153.0 F

Here is something I worked up, no idea what the exact SRM figure would be on this beer but I would assume this is pretty close. I got the figures dead on with all of the ingredients but haven't decided on a yeast yet. Maybe WLP833? I couldn't find Slovenian Aurora anywhere but after some research I found out NB is a reputable substitute (NorthernBrewer.com has Slovenian Aurora btw!). NB is argued as a dual purpose hop so I threw it in at the 15 minute mark and voila, tinseth calc puts us at 42 IBU's. By the way the AA figures are all from hops that are in stock at BMWH if anyone is looking to buy those hops and brew this.

Any better ideas on what yeast to use? I don't even brew lagers yet haha.

Actually when I look at the apparent attenuation to go to from 1.064 to 1.013 FG it's right at 79% which takes almost every lager yeast produced by Wyeast and WL out of the picture except for WLP830 which has a top attenuation figure of 79%. So I would recommend that yeast I suppose if you really wanted something close.

Here is a review from someone from white labs website that brewed a bock with similar figures,

"Very clean beer"
By: Anonymous
Date: May 25, 2007
Beers brewed: Traditional Bock
Comments: I made a pint starter, then stepped it up after a few days with another quart of wort. Fermented a double decoction bock of about 1.065 SG at around 55F. It took a month for the FG to stop dropping and finished around 1.014. I kegged half and put the other half in a carboy. I lagered both for about 4-5 weeks. Kegged version is quite good. Bottled version is excellent. Very clean beer, no fruit or sulfur or other fermentation by-products, just rich Munich malt flavor. Very good yeast. But give it time to do its job.

So I guess about 28 days at around 54'F maybe and then check for FG and bring the temp up to around 60'F for 48 hours for a good diacetyl rest and crash to 35'F for lagering?

Oh and don't forget to make a huge starter, this beer needs to be clean no doubt :D.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f61/hbt-bjcp-comp-winning-maibock-141077/

It appears that Tonedef131 had great results with WLP833 as well and it touts to have a better malt/hop aroma balance so it might be better suited to a beer like Glissade. The attenuation brewers have seen between Tonedef131 and various reviews on the WL site clearly show that the yeast will attenuate to 80% pretty easily on a regular basis. Not to mention the general consensus on this yeast is that it finishes quick (2 weeks or so) at mid range temperatures which makes for quicker brewing so that's a plus in my book. Maybe WLP833 is the yeast to go with? Maybe a split batch is in order? ;)

I really like this brew. I immediately thought, "this is what the big three wish they were" when I took my first sip. Complex and balanced flavor, very drinkable and very clean. I plan on making a clone for my next batch, but I'm not sure how I can get the bock style using ale techniques.

Exactly what I thought. I've told everyone I've given it to, "This is what 'American beer' should mean." Don't get me wrong, I know there are great American brews, but not all my friends do :cross: sadly.

Back