smoking grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I know it's late in the season for a smoked porter, but if I was going to. How do you smoke the grain? I'm thinking I would like to use alder wood. Can I do it on a grill or do I need a smoker?

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll need a smoker, soak the grain and keep the temp between 120f and 150f

I detailed my process in my Smokey Boggart recipe. It is in my sig and my drop down. Also linked there is a very good article from BYO about smoking your own grains.

You don't really need a smoker, you just have to be creative about getting smoke from a small enclosed fire to pass over or through your grain. Think steel box, some cheap ducting, and a box cardboard box to cover your grains.

I detailed my process in my Smokey Boggart recipe. It is in my sig and my drop down. Also linked there is a very good article from BYO about smoking your own grains.

You don't really need a smoker, you just have to be creative about getting smoke from a small enclosed fire to pass over or through your grain. Think steel box, some cheap ducting, and a box cardboard box to cover your grains.

I made a great smoked Belgian with good advice from Kabouter. I used my old-fashioned Weber charcoal grill and alder wood to great effect. Make a fire, not too big, and shove the coals to either side (same as the indirect method as if you were cooking something slowly), and cover the coals with smoking wood. You don't want very much heat at all, just smoke.

To smoke the grains, I cut out an old window screen (and washed it first), bent it into a basket shape, and put the grains in that. I used a spray bottle of water to keep the grains moist (but not too moist--you want to help them absorb the smoke, and not dry out and burn). Turn the grain once or twice, and 25 minutes should be sufficient. Don't overdo it. Finally, if you have a lot of grain, you might have to do a few batches...you want to avoid putting the grain directly over the coals.

Back