Smoking for first time..Questions-advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
So we have our weber smokey mountain and were smoking this weekend.I just ordered a maverick Et 733 and it will be here sunday right in the middle of smoking (forgot to order it earlier).I'm looking for any and all advise to make our first day smoking a success.We have seasoned Costco ribs and chicken thighs in the freezer we thought we would use.We are also going to get a Butt.We were thinking the ribs on the lower rack and butt and thighs on the upper?It seems the minion method is what most do.I would think the ribs and thighs would be done long before the Butt.So how do you set it up so your eating all the food at the same time?? Does the rub go on the day before?? should I use a pan and tinfoil cover to collect juice or straight on rack? How many hours?? Do you have "the best"rub recipe you may or may not want to give up.Anything else I should know? As you can see I am a total noob and hoping to learn from your experience...Thanks
Edit: were using kingsford competition briquettes.We have weber mesquite wood chips and not really sure how to use them

Hey, Johnny. That's a really broad post but I'll hit the high points from my experience.

Use the minion method with lump charcoal and wood chunks of your choice.

Dry rub the night before or 24 hours before. (Not giving up my dry rub recipe.)

Place the meat directly on the racks.

Cooking time depends on temp. For Boston butt , I figure 1 1/2 hours per pound at 220°. That's a rough estimate. It's done when it's done. Thermometer is your friend. 190° internal temp for pulling.

Ribs are another animal. I really think you might be taking on too much for your first smoke. I would save the ribs for another cook and just do roast and chicken. Start the roast early and get it done. Wrap in foil and a towel and put in a cooler to rest for at least an hour. Cook the thighs while it's resting. They should only take an hour or two.

bbq brethren dot com :)

Yes on Minion method. Fill the water pan with water. Don't worry about a drip pan.

Butt on bottom. Size, fat, moisture all determine cook time along with outside temperatures and WIND. Use a meat thermometer (digital probe so you are not opening and closing the door), take to 190-195 for slice, or 205 for shredding. Wrap in foil with a little apple juice/cider/beer when color is nice and dark (3+ hours). Put rub (low or no sugar) on 1-12 hours before. If it finish before serving time, no issue. Just leave whole and wrapped in foil, and place into a cooler filled with newspapers to take up dead space. It can sit for 6 or so hours and still be piping hot. Slice/shred immediately before serving.

Ribs up top. Look up the 3-2-1 method for baby backs. I much prefer full spares (St. Louis cut is okay but I like the extra meat of the full spares and the flap meat makes great fajitas).

Thighs cook at much higher temps. Save until water pan is empty and removed (after butt and ribs are done). Leave charcoal access door open (i.e. increase airflow), of course lots of gray charcoal is good. Lower rack.

****Pork often comes with solution (i.e. brine) avoid any pork that has added solution.

I agree. For your first smoke I would focus on one cut of meat. A pork butt can take 8-16 hours depending on size and temps. Definitely go by the internal temp. 203 is the sweet spot for me with an hour or more rest in foil. Chicken can take 2-3 hour low and slow. I still haven't mastered ribs, but take 3-6 hours depending on cut and method. I always use a water pan unless I'm drying jerkey or sausages. Rub should go on the day before the smoke. Meatheads Memphis dust is a good rub recipe to try out. Or the old SPOG(salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder) can give impressive results. Soak your wood in water a few hours before your ready to use them.

Low and slow is the way to go when smoking meats. 225F to 250F seems to be the temperature range that a lot of people use. I find that the sweet spot for me when I'm smoking is 225 right on the dot. Dry rubs should go on the day before if at all possible. If a dry rub is used the same day the meat is going on the smoker, I usually let it set for at least an hour to give the flavors a chance to soak in. Here's one I've used with good results. Adjust it according to your tastes.

-Brown Sugar Dry Rub-

1/2 cup Brown sugar.
Tablespoon of salt.
1/4 cup paprika.
2 teaspoons of celery salt.
2 teaspoons of black pepper.
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
2 teaspoons garlic powder.
2 teaspoons onion powder

In addition to the above comments:

I find that my 18" WSM temps are rock solid without a temp controller (bottom vents 1/3 open, top vent full open) using the minion method.

I only pre-soak my wood chips, when using wood chunks no need to pre-soak. I only add one large wood chunk every hour for the first 3 hours.

My dry-rub is similar to Wolfman's, by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper you can increase or decrease the amount of heat to your liking. No need to buy pre-seasoned meat if you want to experiment with your own recipes. Put a small tray with salt in the smoker and use this "smoked salt" in your future rubs.

I use regular kingsford charcoal when smoking and lump in my ceramic grill.

Make sure that you have some homebrews to consume when smoking.

I smoke my ribs at 225 degrees for a total of 5 hours. The first two hours I add the wood, then I wrap the ribs in tin foil for the next two hours. The last last hour I remove the foil and place back directly on the rack. This way has given me very moist ribs with just enough smoke flavor to highlight the taste of the pork.

I have the 22" WSM and prefer using it with no water in the water pan. I have several different smokers and just don't feel water in the pan keeps the meat moist. It does act as a heat sink and helps stabilize the smoker, which is a good thing if you are new at smoking. You will learn how to stabilize using the air vents. Don't let your chicken sit above your other meats if you put them on late in the cook. I agree with others--save them for last while your butt is resting.

I don't soak my wood anymore. More than an hour in the water & the resin start soaking out. I leave the bark on as well, since moisture bleeds out toward the bark as the wood dries. Lots of flavor in that bark! A decent dry rub can be made from 2tsp salt, 3 heaping tsp chili powder, 1 1/2-2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika, 1tsp black pepper 3tsp onion powder, 2tsp garlic powder & 3-4 heaping tsps light brown sugar. Rib racks generally take me about 4 1/2 hours till done, & meat pulled back from bone ends about 1/2" or a hair more.

Back