Blonde Ale Smokin' Centennial Blonde Ale - BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
Rehydrate in 1/2 cup of 90 degree water for 15 minutes.
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65%
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Optional
Additional Fermentation
Be patient when bottled. Took 4 weeks for this batch to carb up.
Tasting Notes
I felt the level of smokiness was about right for me. The beer was golden and clear. In fact, I might experiment backing off the smoked malt from 2 lbs to 1 lbs - and adding the 1 lb back (.5 lbs more 2 Row, and .5 lbs more Vienna). When people drank it, many couldn't figure out the flavor profile until I told them that it included smoked malt - which tells me that it wasn't too overpowering.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First and foremost, credit to Biermuncher for his gracious contribution of Centennial Blonde. A local brewery in town makes a nice Smoked Blonde Ale that I felt could be created using the Centennial Blonde recipe with the addition of a small percentage of smoked malt being substituted in the grain bill.

Kegged and drank this one over Christmas and worked out very well. Recipe is for 5 Gallon BIAB (all grains double crushed):

5 LBS Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 LBS Breiss Smoked Malt
1 LBS Carapils
.5 LBS Caramel/Crystal (10L)
.5 LBS Vienna

75 Minute Mash @ 152 degrees (BIAB)
60 Minute Boil

Hop Additions
.25 OZ Centennial @ 55 Minutes
.25 OZ Centennial @ 35 Minutes
.25 OZ Cascade @ 20 Minutes
.25 OZ Cascade @ 5 Minutes

Pitch Nottingham Yeast (rehydrated). Give it 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary (optional).

Back