Smoked Scotch stuck at 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybo

Reaction score
I have a Smoked Scotch thats been in the primary for 3 weeks. It seems to be stuck at 1.030. OG was 1.092. I tryed to swirl it a few days ago but still no action. I don't want bottle bombs. Should I pitch more? If so, what type yeast? I used White Labs Eidenberg. Thanks!

What temperature did you ferment at? Also, White Labs says the alcohol tolerance for this strain is "Medium-High: 8-12%" so you are sort-of treading that line with a 1.090+ strong scotch beer.

What temperature did you ferment at? Also, White Labs says the alcohol tolerance for this strain is "Medium-High: 8-12%" so you are sort-of treading that line with a 1.090+ strong scotch beer.

It's been inside the pantry. Temp is usually at 70 during the day never below 65 at night.

Thats a little under 67% attenuation. White Labs says WLP028 should get between 70-75% attenuation. So you are close.

If you wanna try to dry it out some more, I would make a small starter with a pack of US-05. Wait until it reaches high krausen and then pitch the fermenting starter into the stuck wort. During the process, I'd try to keep the temperature as stable as possible too, ideally at 70. I have had some luck with this in the past.

The 5 degree drop at night may be what stopped your fermentation. Yeast will drop out pretty quick near the end of fermentation if the temperature drops, especially at the tail end of a big beer like that.

Those temps sound ok for the yeast (aside from the swings). I just brewed a strong scotch that was 1.095 or so SG. Mine fermented down to 1.010, it just took a while. It was in the primary for over a month and in secondary for about 1.5 months. Rack it off that yeast cake and wait a bit. It should be fine.

Thats a little under 67% attenuation. White Labs says WLP028 should get between 70-75% attenuation. So you are close.

He's right, 1.030 isn't anything to worry about for this beer. Check out the BJCP style guide for strong scotch ales:

OG: 1.070 – 1.130
FG: 1.018 – 1.056
IBUs: 17 – 35

I'd say you're doing pretty good.

Bottle bombs at 67% attenuation are not an issue.
Don't add more yeast.
Give it one more week to clean up (3 weeks may be a little early for a 1090 beer.)
Rack as usual and I think you'll be golden.

Sounds like a tasty brew this time of year.

Did you make a starter or was this just a vile of the WL yeast dumped into the fermenter? Pitched at what temp? Is it pretty sweet to the taste? Was this an extract batch or an all grain?

I have an additional question.... if he re-pitches, should he go with the same yeast or a different type? Will going with a different type change the flavor profile?

Its my understanding that most yeast derived flavors are generated during the initial growth and vigorous fermentation stages. During the later, slower stages of fermenation the yeast are cleaning up fermentation byproducts and slowly finishing off the remaining sugars. Pitching a secondary strain for the last few percentage points of attenuation shouldn't make much of a perceivable difference as long as its a relatively neutral ale yeast. Of course you wouldn't want to go with a Belgian strain or something very estery or phenolic in a beer like this.

In this case I would repitch with a more attenuative strain that has a higher alcohol tolerance than the Scottish Ale strain initially pitched. That beer is a very hostile environment for new yeast. There is a lot of alcohol and very little oxygen and nutrients.

Did you make a starter or was this just a vile of the WL yeast dumped into the fermenter? Pitched at what temp? Is it pretty sweet to the taste? Was this an extract batch or an all grain?

I have an additional question.... if he re-pitches, should he go with the same yeast or a different type? Will going with a different type change the flavor profile?

1. No starter, just pitched the vile at around 78.
2. a little sweet, tasts pretty good actually.
3. 12 lbs extract.(9 lbs LME/ 3 lbs DME)

#1 and #3 above explain why your beer finished at 1.030. Id say its quite possible that beer wont dry out any further.

You waaaaayyy underpitched. Also, 12 pounds of extract for a 5 gallon batch is going to leave a lot of unfermentable sugars.

The tolerance for Edinburgh yeast is 8-12% ABV. It can certainly handle a 1090 beer without adding more yeast.

You can toss in more yeast if you like...but in my opinion you'll just be wasting...more yeast. You've already roused the yeast cake once and you're fermenting right in the sweet spot for this yeast (65-70).

Hitting 67% on a target of 70-75% for extract is pretty good.

I agree that he underpitched, but I disagree with repitching. You'll get a couple more points out of it probably, but you gotta let this high gravity beer sit for a while. Maybe repitch from a small starter as a last resort on a 60/- or 70/-, but not on a strong scotch. It just needs a little time. Let the yeast finish and clean up the byproducts. Even if it only gets to 1.028-1.029 it'll still be a good beer.

Alright guys, thank for the replies. I'll rack it to a secondary and wait another week. See what happens...

I agree that you probably just need to leave it alone, but if you really want to get those last few points out I would rack it onto an active yeast cake. It's kind of like repitching, but without the whole starter process.

At what point should he have to worry about off flavors from sitting on the yeast cake?

At what point should he have to worry about off flavors from sitting on the yeast cake?

Personnally, I don't worry about that until maybe 3 months. I'm in the crowd that thinks my beers taste a little better if they spend some quality time on top of the yeast cake.

note: I've only had a few beers that I left on the cake for 3 months, and they all turned out fine. That is why I don't worry for 3 months, and not because of any science.

Latest posts

Back