Smoked Sahti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_0613

Reaction score
8lbs. Pilsner LME
3lbs. Rye Malt
1lb. Victory Malt
1lb. Flaked Oats
.25lbs. Roasted Barley

2 oz. Magnum (60 mins)
1 oz. Hallertauer (15 mins)

2 oz. Juniper Berries (Boil 5 mins)

1 pkg. White Labs Belgian Ale yeast

I'm going to smoke my grains at home... not quite sure for how long.

Also I'll have to do a three stage mini mash (113, 155, 168) and sparge up to volume.

Couldn't decide on yeast. Was a toss up between the Belgian Ale and the Trappist Ale.

Any thoughts or input?

Cool, Are you going for smoking all grains including the flaked? I believe the flaked will retain the most smoke flavor. Foil lined on smoker grate, and somehow turn the grain, withouit tearing foil, in intervals?

Yeah, it will be all the grains including the flaked oats. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet... I have a book that describes how. I just havent pulled it out yet.

now that I'm more sober turkey pan

I got to remember next time I do some smoking to put some grain for the next brew on there along with the meat.

I was thinking about putting them in a grain bag and just throwing that on the grates. I think they'd get better smoke exposure that way. I'll probably have to shuffle the bag every now and again to get even smoke throughout.

A foil roasting pan would definitely be my second choice though. They're cheap and it would be easy to turn the grains.

I'll be using the oak chips from my bourbon oaked vanilla porter for the smoke. Just waiting on my tax return. :p

Back