SMaSH question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclingpole

Reaction score
I'll be doing a SMaSH brew with Maris Otter and one hop (haven't decided which one yet).

So I'm trying to build this out in BeerSmith but there isn't such a "style" of beer listed in the styles section (whatever that may be ultimately). When you add a recipe BeerSmith wants a style picked. What do I do? Do I create one? Obviously this style doesn't exist so where do all the values come from before brewing it?

thanks!

I look at gravity and bitterness to determine style. Usually English Pale Ale of some sort. But, it's not a style (well, most SMaSHes).

I usually go by the chart below and call it good. I use beersmith to figure out what the gravity and bitterness is.

hopsgraph.jpg

Try "specialty beer", it has a very wide range if you are trying to keep your numbers within a set "guideline", otherwise create a profile for the SMaSH.

Use beersmith as a calculator and not a style despot and get on with the brew! Pick a hop you know you like or one you've wanted to try and think you may like.

As far as what your values should be just use the OG/IBU ratio graphs that are floating around the forum, decide where you want to be on the spectrum, calculate it out in beersmith, and go for it.

Are there any resources where you can enter the particulars of a brew (IBU, FG, etc.) and get a list of which styles that brew could fall into? That would be really useful

Back