SMaSH - Pale Ale/Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjwild44

Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing a SMaSH this weekend just to have something going. I'm very indecisive when it comes to formulating recipes so I'm constantly making changes. This is what I have so far:

Batch Size: 5.5 Gal
Boil Size: ~6.5 Gal
Boil Time: 60 Min
Brewing Method: BIAB
Yeast: Safale S-05

11 lbs - Pale Ale Malt (US)

60 Min - 0.25 oz - Citra, 14.1% AA
30 Min - 0.5 oz - Citra, 14.1% AA
15 Min - 0.5 oz - Citra, 14.1% AA
15 Min - 1 Whirlfloc Tablet

7 Day Dry Hop - 1.75 oz - Citra, 14.1% AA

I'm going for a nice, clean Session Pale Ale for the start of nice weather.

Since it's a SMaSH, theres not really much to determin besides the hop schedule, so that mainly what I'm curious about.

Thanks! :mug:

My first batch when I finished my brewstand was a Citra/GW Premium 2-Row SMaSH. I had heard concerns about Citra as a bittering addition giving bad flavors, so I did all of my additions at 15 minutes and less, including 3 ounces dry hopped. It had a great pineapple/mango flavor initially, and evolved into a mainly citrus flavor in just a few weeks. The bitterness was nicely balanced though, even without the 60 minute addition. It was a bit high-gravity for a pale, but that's how I entered it in competition, scored a 31, with the primary comments being that it lacked malt complexity. If I did it over as a SMaSH, I would use Maris Otter.

My Citra additions were 1.25oz at 15, 1.25oz at 10, 1oz at 5, 1oz at flameout/whirlpool, and 3oz dry after fermentation subsided.

I'm making a couple changes and rebrewing in a couple weeks, but with a small FWH addition, all of my late additions, and boosting the malt bill to the high IPA range along with adding some 12% Munich and some acid malt to manage pH (per the Brewing Chemistry sticky).

Thanks for the feedback BIB. I've never used Citra before so thanks for the heads up on the early additions. Since my LHBS has a high AA Citra, I'm scaling down off your recipe a bit.

I often make a single hop pale ale. So far, the Citra Pale Ale I made has been the best. Here's what I did.

Citra (US) 0.5 oz 60 min First Wort Pellet 14.4%
Citra (US) 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 14.4%
Citra (US) 0.5 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 14.4%
Citra (US) 0.5 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 14.4%
Citra (US) 1.0 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 14.4%
Citra (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 14.4%

I had several members of my brew club including 2 BJCP judges say something to the effect of "I could drink this all day long!". Very proud of that beer.

Just a heads up, Citra can be a very dominating flavor. If you are dead set on a smash I would use something like Maris Otter to lend a little more malt backbone to the beer. If you are willing to drop the smash, I'd recommend adding a little Munich or a light crystal to help balance the hop flavor. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback BIB. I've never used Citra before so thanks for the heads up on the early additions. Since my LHBS has a high AA Citra, I'm scaling down off your recipe a bit.
For reference, the AA's on my Citra were 14.5%. Late additions, especially the 5 min, flameout and dry hops are more affected by the hop oils rather than the AAs. Citra is pretty high in oils (double that of Cascade according to USA Hops), so they do pack a flavor punch for sure.

Citra is such a great aroma hop i've been tempted to blast a batch late with it. In a 1.055 ish pale ale something like 30-40 IBU to bitter, an ounce or so around 15 minutes and another 4 ounces at knock out.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I switched to MO to balance it out a bit and will probably just do the late additions only like BIB suggested.

I've done 5-6 batches so far in my brewing career and i think i'm most excited about this one!

I often make a single hop pale ale. So far, the Citra Pale Ale I made has been the best. Here's what I did.

dobe12, how many IBUs was your first wort hopping addition? My next Citra beer is an IPA (stepping it up from the SMaSH based on judging feedback) and I want a bit more bitterness without overdoing it. I'm planning on the FWH addition at 42 IBUs, and the overall bitterness to gravity ratio is 1.06. Honestly I'm a little concerned about my bittering addition with Citra, and I don't want to sub another hop, I'd rather scale back if 42 IBUs is too high.

dobe12, how many IBUs was your first wort hopping addition? My next Citra beer is an IPA (stepping it up from the SMaSH based on judging feedback) and I want a bit more bitterness without overdoing it. I'm planning on the FWH addition at 42 IBUs, and the overall bitterness to gravity ratio is 1.06. Honestly I'm a little concerned about my bittering addition with Citra, and I don't want to sub another hop, I'd rather scale back if 42 IBUs is too high.

Brewtoad tells me 22 IBU from the FWH addition.

Thanks! I guess I need the OG too, sorry I didn't realize that!

1.067 OG (was shooting for 1.060, but have been getting higher efficiencies lately. A little BIG for a pale ale, oh well :rockin: )
1.007 FG
47 IBU
9 SRM
7.9 ABV (Again, much higher than expected. Not a problem though :drunk: )

Thomas Fawcett & Sons Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt 5.0 lb 41%
Weyermann® Vienna Malt 3.0 lb 25% Mash 37
Best Malz Munich 2.0 lb 16% Mash 35
Briess Caramel Malt 40L 1.0 lb 8% Mash 34
Cane/Beet Sugar (Dextrose) 1.0 lb 8% Late Boil 46

Danstar American West Coast Ale Yeast

Mashed at 151F - 60min
10min batch sparge 168F - 10min

The higher than expected OG and slightly lower than expected FG lead to a 7.9% Pale Ale. Still came out fantastic!

Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing a MO Citra SMaSH IPA. These are my brewing parameters for my 1gal all grain batch. Any words from the wise?

image.jpg

I do an all Citra American Amber Ale. I actually came up with it based on my Pale Ale SMaSH--added some crystal and exchanged the Cascade for Citra. It is one of my favorite.

Your recipe looks good, but I would consider either raising your 60 minute charge or adding a 40 minute (or something similar) charge of hops. 62 IBU is not really enough for an IPA. An IPA should be around 80 IBU's (for an English IPA) to 84 IBU's (for an American IPA). Your recipe is not bitter enough. You may also try dry-hopping this to give more aroma.

By the way, you might get quicker response to a recipe if you start it as it's own thread.

Well the Brewers Friend app says between 40&70 IBU for IPA. I didn't want it to be over bittered. But I'll lift it to and see how it comes out. I am a friend of west coast bitter.

I'd like to dry hop but its for a club competition and I wouldn't have time.

Also, i can't figure out how to start a new thread this mobile app...

Latest posts

Back