Smartphone questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I should have asked before, but I decided I finally would get rid of my dumbphone, circa 2007, and get a smartphone.

The thing is, my little flip phone was $31.99 per month. So it's hard to think about people with $100 phone bills each month!

I went to the Verizon store (the only carrier that works in our area), and changed my plan to a Smartphone plan (single line) for $61.20 for 2 GB of data. I get a discount because of where I work, of 22%.

Anyway, the choices are dazzling! I ended up with an Iphone 5C, as I liked the small size to fit in my pocket and the fact that it's a "Smartphone for Dummies".

I thought about a Droid, but thought maybe it was overkill for what I want/need.

So, I tried the homebrewtalk.com app. Not very appealing, at least the way it comes to my phone. Is the "new post" button on there somewhere? Any pointers for this new smartphone user would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure how different you app is from mine (not an iPhone) but when I open I get this
1395277729030.jpg
If you "click" where the arrow is pointing you should get this
1395277756932.jpg
Then the time line is what I use for new posts

Sent from my two thumbs

I haven't used the app, I end up opening safari and using it.
Nothing to add just figured I'd post to keep up and learn a thing or two.
Yoops, you'll enjoy your new phone, Siri is great for setting reminders for all the little thing we tend to forget;)

You have to click on the 3 lines in the top left and the screen will slide over, go down to "timeline" and click on that, that is "new posts".

1st thing, go into Settings and disable the signature.

Ha- apparently that is the default as I see no signatures at all.

I still like a real computer, but this is going to be handy that's for sure!

I told my daughter that I got an Iphone (via Imessage) and she almost died. She said, "An Iphone, and a new Jeep Wrangler?!?! You really ARE having a mid-life crisis!" :D

Oh, yeah, and I pecked my way on that little tiny keyboard to make a post.

I know I have like 58,000 posts- but since I'll have to work harder to do that on my iphone, I can see my post count slowing substantially! :D

I use the iPhone app almost exclusively. Once you get used to it I think it's quicker and easier to navigate than the website. Even now I'm sitting in front of my computer but I'm using my phone. There's a few things you can't do on the app that you can on the computer, so if I need to I'll get on the computer, but usually I'm too impatient to spend those few extra seconds.

Timeline is where you go for recent posts, like the others have said.

In case you were looking for how to post new topics then the image below is where I find it.

Edit. Technical issues atm it seems.

I use the iPhone app almost exclusively. Once you get used to it I think it's quicker and easier to navigate than the website. Even now I'm sitting in front of my computer but I'm using my phone. There's a few things you can't do on the app that you can on the computer, so if I need to I'll get on the computer, but usually I'm too impatient to spend those few extra seconds.

No way. Not for me, anyway.

Timeline is where you go for recent posts, like the others have said.

In case you were looking for how to post new topics then the image below is where I find it.

Edit. Technical issues atm it seems.

I've often wondered what the difference is between Unread and Timeline... any ideas?

Timeline shows everything posted in order even if you've read the post while unread will only show posts that are well unread.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just wait till you figure out you can talk into your phone and your phone will type it in the response for you...No typing involved

I've often wondered what the difference is between Unread and Timeline... any ideas?

Yooper, be careful with the giant BAN button right next to the tiny reply button. Woops, durn it, did it again there. Curse my bad eyes and fat fingers.

Sorry murduna01, we'll get you back in just a sec... now where the heck did I put my glasses...

Ok so before everyone gets all snarky... oh shoot too late ;) both options show the same results on my kindle which is why I was wondering. Then again the unread selection often shows zero results after refresh and so forth. It's buggy all around. But thank you bbnbrew for the straight response.

Ok so before everyone gets all snarky... oh shoot too late ;) both options show the same results on my kindle which is why I was wondering. Then again the unread selection often shows zero results after refresh and so forth. It's buggy all around. But thank you bbnbrew for the straight response.

Sorry didn't know how else to put it haha didn't mean to sound snarky but I'm on an iphone haven't been able to get my kindle to work without just using the regular site on the browser. Did you find the app on the amazon store?

Yooper you are going to love your iPhone, but do be careful to check how much data you are using. I haven't regularly used a Apple device. I have an Android phone. I chose it because it's more like a computer than an Iphone I like to compare them as an Iphone being more like a game console because the hardware is proprietary. This usually makes for a less problematic experience (although I haven't had a real problem with my androids so far)

There are a TON of apps for both devices. I do use the HBT app for Android but it's not better for typing on and I'm constantly having to log in again after updates.

I read ebooks a lot on my phone. You can download books from one of the major book stores like Kindle or Amazon of Google, or you can do what I do and find free books online.

I love the voice type feature. If I have a lengthy text and want to enter it quickly, just tap the mic icon, say what I want to type, and hit send.

I've been a gamer since way back when Mr. Do and Donkey Kong were in arcades and pizza joints, but I've oddly never been interested in gaming on a smart phone. There's tons of games for them too.

Sorry didn't know how else to put it haha didn't mean to sound snarky but I'm on an iphone haven't been able to get my kindle to work without just using the regular site on the browser. Did you find the app on the amazon store?

Its all good lol I downloaded the app through 1mobile I think its called.. third party app store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Don't know if anyone said this, but for many reasons, many, if you have a grace period, swap out your 5c for the 5s. You will be much happier! Ya double the cost! But prorate it over the life of the phone!

Don't know if anyone said this, but for many reasons, many, if you have a grace period, swap out your 5c for the 5s. You will be much happier! Ya double the cost! But prorate it over the life of the phone!

Hmmm- when I picked this phone the 5S was free, and the 5C was $99. I could have got it, and without any cost at all.

Don't know if anyone said this, but for many reasons

Please name reasons. According to the guy at the Verizon store, he had both and couldn't detect a difference, although one processor is supposed to be faster.

The S has a better camera, and better flash for the camera, but I don't care about that. The S also has the fingerprint thing, another feature I don't care about.

The C, which I have, is slimmer and I prefer the plastic back, vs glass, which my last iPhone had.

I have zero regrets getting the C.

Please name reasons. According to the guy at the Verizon store, he had both and couldn't detect a difference, although one processor is supposed to be faster.

The S has a better camera, and better flash for the camera, but I don't care about that. The S also has the fingerprint thing, another feature I don't care about.

The C, which I have, is slimmer and I prefer the plastic back, vs glass, which my last iPhone had.

I have the regular 5 which is pretty much the same as the 5s in regards to the body of the phone and my sister has the 5c. I always break phones and am a farrier/blacksmith for a living so I shoe horses pretty much all day everyday and have had the 5 for over a year and a half and my sister has had her 5c less than a year and broken the plastic back twice. Just my 2 cents.

I have the regular 5 which is pretty much the same as the 5s in regards to the body of the phone and my sister has the 5c. I always break phones and am a farrier/blacksmith for a living so I shoe horses pretty much all day everyday and have had the 5 for over a year and a half and my sister has had her 5c less than a year and broken the plastic back twice. Just my 2 cents.

My last iPhone had a glass back, and it's a shattered mess. I'll stick with plastic. But I don't want to doubt a farrier. I find it very cool that is what you do. I don't have horses, but a good friend of mine has horses in various places. It's a noble profession to take care of them. Great animals.

My understanding (easily could be wrong!) was that the 5C was 4G while the 5S was 3G compatible.

The 5C for me has been fast, even with my not-very-fast home wifi. There is also 16GB on it.

My last iPhone had a glass back, and it's a shattered mess. I'll stick with plastic. But I don't want to doubt a farrier. I find it very cool that is what you do. I don't have horses, but a good friend of mine has horses in various places. It's a noble profession to take care of them. Great animals.

I only say I'm a farrier because I've dropped my phone on every surface possible and had it stomped and sprayed with drool and just about any nasty thing you can think of haha but I have seen the broken glass back many times I was under the impression the 5 was a different back than say the 4 but I could be totally wrong it won't be the first or last time that happens this week haha.

I need dust and scratch protection for my work. I got an Otter Box Defender. It's a fairly sturdy case.

I decided against a case or screen protection.

My last iPhone was in a case and broke the one time I dropped it. So, screw it, I'm going au natural. And LOVING IT. (it's surprising how thin and light these phones are without the armor)

I got a Lifeproof case since I drop my phone constantly. I even accidentally dropped it off of a three story roof onto concrete once and it survived. I've dropped it in water a few times too. Before I had this case I broke a half dozen phones in less than two years.

Hope I have not totally screwed up, but the 5c has a slower processor which can screw up many future apps. From what I have read, even apple has backed off from the 5c. If you are happy then awesum! I will add that to what I hear.

We have deployed 4, 4S, 5, 5C and 5S phones at my company. I am the IT guy and set up said devices for people, fix them, replace them, etc. There is very little difference in practice between the 5C and 5S. The S is slightly faster (I notice it), but I don't think it will matter much until future versions of IOS come out. That's when processing power will really stand out as newer (read heavier) operating systems come out. The C lets you show a bit of style and does seem to hold up better to drops than the S since there is less glass to break. The thumbprint sensor isn't bad, but it isn't necessary either. It also doesn't work all the time, we had several that had to be replaced for that reason.

As far as cases I HIGHLY recommend against the Otterbox Defender. We deployed hundreds of them and they have the following problems:

Don't protect worth a crap, we have had at least 30 phones with broken screens/back glass after being dropped in the defender. At least 80% of these were people that I trust and they didn't drop it from greater than waist height
The don't prevent dust/sand/water/dirt from getting in at all
Dust/sand/dirt that gets in doesn't want to leave. It just stays there rubbing your phone raw
Rubber outer case stretches to become a wobbly annoying mess if you remove it more than half a dozen times to resolve the aforementioned sand/dust/dirt problem.
Turns your pockets inside out because the outside case is so sticky.
Flaps are annoying as hell. The lifeproof flap opens and stays out of your way. The otterbox flap's job isn't to keep dirt out, it's to keep your charging cable out, and it does it's job quite well.

If you work in a harsh environment then the LifeProof cases can't be beat. They have downsides too like muffling the sound and making it harder to insert/remove the charging cable, and being stupidly expensive, but they will keep dust/dirt/water out and we haven't yet had a phone break in one unless it got run over by a backhoe. I've used one on my company phone for over a year now with no problems. I even dropped it off the top of a 12ft ladder onto concrete and it was unscathed. I admit that what most likely saved it was that it hit one of the rungs about halfway down, but I was impressed all the same.

Just my 2c based on several hundred phones 'in the wild'.

I like the Otterbox, but I actually treat my phone (Galaxy S4) like the sensitive electronic instrument it is.

My wife, however, thinks electronics are indestructible. I might need to replace her Otterbox with a Lifeproof. I've spent too much damn money on iPhone repairs/replacements for her over the years.

If you work in a harsh environment then the LifeProof cases can't be beat. They have downsides too like muffling the sound and making it harder to insert/remove the charging cable, and being stupidly expensive, but they will keep dust/dirt/water out and we haven't yet had a phone break in one unless it got run over by a backhoe. I've used one on my company phone for over a year now with no problems. I even dropped it off the top of a 12ft ladder onto concrete and it was unscathed. I admit that what most likely saved it was that it hit one of the rungs about halfway down, but I was impressed all the same.

Just my 2c based on several hundred phones 'in the wild'.

That sounds like my experience. I answer my phone all day while on ladders, so I keep it my breast pocket for easy access and it falls out a lot. The time I dropped it off the roof it hit another roof half way down, so it was two 15 foot drops rather than one 30 foot drop, and the case was a little beat up but the phone was undamaged. It may be expensive but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new phone every few months.

Ok, this is embarrassing but I didn't realize that text messages would later show up. It's not really texting (I don't have 'texting' on my phone as it's $10/month!) but imessaging apparently.

I was talking to my daughter about my week- a good day at work, time with my grandson, and then a brewday yesterday.

I learned about Iphone's autocorrect.

Here's the photo she put on Facebook of part of our exchange:

iphone.jpg

Latest posts

Back