smaller krausen after multiple generations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
Once I get to generation 4-5x, the high krausen seems to be quite less than the original pitches. Any reason this may be?
The yeast strains I use with normally big krausen are wy3944 and wy1318(first few generations also take a while to drop with 1318).
I use 3711 but the krausen is never large. but the 3711 post generation 3-4 is almost non-existent.
I am not really complaining as the profile doesn't seem to change but I am curious what the reason may be.

Thanks

Do you also see diminishment in apparent attenuation? Do you top or bottom crop? Same recipe, gravity, etc. each time?

Asking because Chris White mentions in Yeast that you can influence your yeast attenuation and flocculation characteristics depending on how you harvest. Bottom cropping nets more yeast that are typically more flocculant while top cropping nets those who stay in suspension longer and attenuate more. Going off of White's words only here as I don't have any experiment data of my own to back it up, nor would it be fair to compare my results to his, amateur that I am.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it rang a bell. :mug:

I bottom harvest so that makes sense on them being more flocculant, the beer is also finishing faster. Next generation I will do a combo and top crop to see what happens. I don't generally take gravity readings, but my beer doesn't taste any sweeter.

Do you also see diminishment in apparent attenuation? Do you top or bottom crop? Same recipe, gravity, etc. each time?

Asking because Chris White mentions in Yeast that you can influence your yeast attenuation and flocculation characteristics depending on how you harvest. Bottom cropping nets more yeast that are typically more flocculant while top cropping nets those who stay in suspension longer and attenuate more. Going off of White's words only here as I don't have any experiment data of my own to back it up, nor would it be fair to compare my results to his, amateur that I am.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it rang a bell. :mug:

Back