Small white bits floating in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh61

Reaction score
Working on a brew right now. Steeped my grains for 30 minutes, removed them, and then put the wort back onto the heat. Added about 4lbs of LME while blending it in with a whisk. Now as I'm approaching boil I'm noticing lots of little white chunks floating around in the wort. This is my third batch and have never noticed this with any of the others before. I'm following the same procedure I've used before. I've been whisking like crazy to see if they will dissipate.

Here is the best picture I could get.

photo (6).jpg

Hot break material. Basically it's coagulated proteins that come out of the LME. No big deal. Some of that (trub) will be left in the bottom of your brew pot after the 60 min boil.

That's hot break, as was mentioned. I've heard it best described as "egg drop soup", and it is coagulated proteins. When you chill the wort rapidly, you'll get "cold break", which looks much the same but with bigger fluffy goobers.

Both of those things are good, and will give you clearer beer in the end.

Thank you guys so much for the quick and helpful responses. I wonder why I've didn't get this in my last two batches.

just noticed the same in my boil for the first time, may have been always happening but just noticed it today......breathing again thanks.

Latest posts

Back