Smack pack in my fermenter! Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shearn

Reaction score
This was my 1st time using the liquid Wyeast with the smack pack. I thought I had broken it and didn't notice it falling into the wort. Today (a week later) I opened up the lid to take a gravity reading and I see a krausen covered pouch, inflated, and floating in my fermenter. I have every indication that fermentation is properly running it's course, but should I break this pouch? Should I just remove it and throw it away? Or just leave it in there until I rack to my 2ndary?

:confused:

I would either leave it or pull it. Just not smack it. At this point you don't want your yeast replicating anymore, you want it munching sugar. Which is is pretty much done doing after a week.

The smack pack is there to promote replication before the yeast switches over to fermentation mode.

Don't go out of your way to remove a sterile package of yeast nutrient from your primary. It's sterile, or at least it is only covered with things you want in your beer. You'll be more likely to run into trouble if you open up your beer to go fishing around for it. Like you said, just leave it behind when you rack to secondary.

The clear pouch inside that you break is only yeast food. The yeast is in the outer pouch.

Thus it fermented, so just get the package out.

You could always call Wyeast or shoot them an email asking if there is any harm leaving the nutrient pack in there during fermentation. Just remember to pitch the smack pack only after you see activity inside of it through it balooning out. After activating the smackpack I flatten it as best as I can to ensure that I had popped that little bag. And then I only cut the corner out so when I am pitching the yeast the bag wouldnt be able to fall out anyway.

I would either leave it or pull it. Just not smack it. At this point you don't want your yeast replicating anymore, you want it munching sugar. Which is is pretty much done doing after a week.

The smack pack is there to promote replication before the yeast switches over to fermentation mode.

That nutrient pack basically contains wort and there is nothing special in there that makes the yeast replicate. The Replication phase occurs when the yeast leave a dormant state and there is oxygen present.

Since the yeast are actively fermenting the wort, breaking that packet won't cause them to start replicating...they are already past that stage.

That nutrient pack basically contains wort and there is nothing special in there that makes the yeast replicate. The Replication phase occurs when the yeast leave a dormant state and there is oxygen present.

Since the yeast are actively fermenting the wort, breaking that packet won't cause them to start replicating...they are already past that stage.

I stand corrected. Thank You.

You could always call Wyeast or shoot them an email asking if there is any harm leaving the nutrient pack in there during fermentation. Just remember to pitch the smack pack only after you see activity inside of it through it balooning out. After activating the smackpack I flatten it as best as I can to ensure that I had popped that little bag. And then I only cut the corner out so when I am pitching the yeast the bag wouldnt be able to fall out anyway.

I'll do that next time. I didn't read the instructions before I started brewing and since I hadn't smacked it and let it sit (for 6 hours, I think the instructions said), the only thing I could do was to immediately add it to the wort (which is a viable option, according to the instructions.)

I have always thought the whole "smack" to the smack pack was kind of a hit or miss thing

I have my own way to to ensure the nutrient packet is broken... I don't even smack it. I shake the bag upside down so the nutrient packet settles at the "top" of the bag. Then, on a flat table, I slowly work my fingers from the bottom of the pack to the top, letting only yeast squeeze through to the "bottom" of the bag. As your fingers approach the "top" of the package, you'll definitely feel the lil' nutrient bag. At this point, I lay one hand down to trap the nutrient pack. I then take the palm of my other hand and press down firmly on the pack. By doing this, you definitely feel the pack pop so you can be assured it actually popped. Shake vigorously, and let it do it's thing. Hope this helps.

I have always thought the whole "smack" to the smack pack was kind of a hit or miss thing

I have my own way to to ensure the nutrient packet is broken... I don't even smack it. I shake the bag upside down so the nutrient packet settles at the "top" of the bag. Then, on a flat table, I slowly work my fingers from the bottom of the pack to the top, letting only yeast squeeze through to the "bottom" of the bag. As your fingers approach the "top" of the package, you'll definitely feel the lil' nutrient bag. At this point, I lay one hand down to trap the nutrient pack. I then take the palm of my other hand and press down firmly on the pack. By doing this, you definitely feel the pack pop so you can be assured it actually popped. Shake vigorously, and let it do it's thing. Hope this helps.

Wait, are people actually smacking it? (I'm envisioning a hand flying down onto yeast pack). I thought that the "smacking" was more what you describe....getting it under the palm of your hand and breaking it by applying pressure. I can see where people would be having problems if they are actually trying to smack it...that pack is pretty slippery.

Huh..

Wait, are people actually smacking it? (I'm envisioning a hand flying down onto yeast pack). I thought that the "smacking" was more what you describe....getting it under the palm of your hand and breaking it by applying pressure. I can see where people would be having problems if they are actually trying to smack it...that pack is pretty slippery.

Huh..

I have always smacked mine. sometimes it takes a couple tries

Back