Slurry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I will be using some washed yeast slurry (White Labs San Diego) on my next 10 gallon batch. I will also be using White Labs Dry English yeast. I plan on making starters for both, but I only have one stir plate. Would it be better to put the slurry starter or vial starter on the stir plate?

Depends on how much slurry you have and how old it is.

If you have a good amount of recently-harvested slurry, do the new vial on the plate since you have a lot fewer cells of it.

I was planning on using two pint mason jars with slurry harvested on 6/28/13 to make the starter. I will decant before pitching the slurry.

If you've stored those jars in the fridge, and they're at least 1/2 full, you likely have plenty of cells to do a straight pitch. I'd stir plate the new stuff and pitch the two jars of slurry.

Not close to 1/2 full, maybe like an 1/8 full each. That is why I was thinking of pitching the two slurries into my starter.

Back