Slow Fermentation w/Re-Used WY3086

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I pitched ~1.5 cups of slurry from a hefeweizen for a roggenbier on monday. Fermentation started within 12 hours, but it has been very tame compared to my first beer made with the Weihenstephan Weizen strain. I was expecting Mt. Vesuvius, but I'm getting bubbles every few seconds. There is not much krausen on top of the beer either - certainly not the violent blowoff I got with the hefeweizen.

I don't start checking gravity until I'm pretty sure that fermentation is over just because I'm hesitant to expose the beer to air, so I can't tell you if the gravity is dropping more slowly. But the amount of gas being evolved is much less. I'm fermenting it in the lower 60's and it is my second beer with the yeast. Could either or both together account for the difference I'm seeing? Is it a cause for concern?

I've had that happen before too. Sometimes it takes the yeast a bit to get going after fermenting a previous batch. I wouldn't worry about it, seeing as it did start fermenting within 12 hours. Maybe warm it up a tad to get it going more vigorously.

Hmm... It's been 4 days, and yesterday I warmed it to 70 since things started off sluggishly. I don't want to go any higher since that style is fermented with weizen yeast at a lower temperature.

Waiting for a slow fermentation doesn't bother me, but I'm concerned about the development of off flavors. I thought I was saving a few bucks by not buying another smack pack, but if that is a possibility I'll drop the cash and pitch fresh weizen yeast.

Same thing happened with my washed wyeast 1056. I thought the yeast was dead because there was no activity for the first two days. It finally took off and gave a nice healthy fermentation. It could be the result of sitting in the fridge for a month.

Yeah, you should repitch within a week of harvesting.

Wheat beer yeast should only be repitched if you are top cropping. It always performs poorly when harvested from the bottom.

Damn. I pitched within a day of harvesting, but I definitely took the yest from the cake on the bottom. Should I go pick up another smack pack?

Back