slow fermentation and little activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have recently started my first blonde lager and as my LBS suggested i started in a fermentation bucket. after a bit of research i learnt that a lot of people only use a carboy so I racked to my carboy earlier then suggested to keep it safer from infection. the first day i was getting a lot of bubbles in my air lock (roughly one every 5 seconds) and when i checked today and yesterday it had dropped to about 1 bubble every 25 seconds. and there is very little foaming activity happening. i do have a small yeast cake at the bottom of the carboy and it sat in the bucket for about 2 days and the carboy for 4. my question is should the bubbling decrease that quickly? and if not should i try anything to fix it?

thanks again for any advice, or tips you can offer.

It sounds like your ok. Some prefer carboys and some prefer buckets. I use buckets for primary and carboys for aging or additions. To secondary or not is a personal preference too.

But to your issue at hand it's probably fine, airlock activity isn't a great gauge for fermentation activity. The only way to know how your fermentation is going is to use a hydrometer. Usual rule of thumb is to pitch and then do your best to forget about it for 2 - 3 weeks minus the rare need for a blow off tube or other minor maintenance.

thanks for the quick response. i haven't taken a hydrometer rating since my concern started, as i want to limit the number of times i open the carboy but since you think its fine i will probably leave it for a couple more days and take a reading to see where it sits!

thanks again

i have recently started my first blonde lager and as my LBS suggested i started in a fermentation bucket. after a bit of research i learnt that a lot of people only use a carboy so I racked to my carboy earlier then suggested to keep it safer from infection. the first day i was getting a lot of bubbles in my air lock (roughly one every 5 seconds) and when i checked today and yesterday it had dropped to about 1 bubble every 25 seconds. and there is very little foaming activity happening. i do have a small yeast cake at the bottom of the carboy and it sat in the bucket for about 2 days and the carboy for 4. my question is should the bubbling decrease that quickly? and if not should i try anything to fix it?

thanks again for any advice, or tips you can offer.

Most infections seem to occur in the secondary so I don't think you helped anything by moving to the carboy. Nearly all my brews sit in the bucket primary for 2 to 9 weeks (yes, that is a nine) and I haven't had an infection from doing that.

Here's a little info on what goes on with the yeast in the fermenter. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

You are probably fine but would have been better off just leaving it in the bucket. Only time a bucket might be inferior to a carboy is if you plan on leaving it in there for 3+ months; then you might have to worry about the air permeability of a plastic bucket. I would let it ride until 14 days have passed since brew day and then take a hydrometer reading, wait 2 days and take a second.

i'll wait the 2 weeks to take my reading and go from there.

the main reason i switched is because my LHBS mentioned nothing about blow off or air locks. they said i could simply place the lid loosely on top. I've read about success with this as well but i though the carboy would provide more of an airtight seal to prevent oxidization or infection.

thanks again for the help guys!

What you were told about buckets is absolute rubbish, caused you needless worry, and led to a bad decision. Lots of awesome beers are fermented in 6.5 gallon fermenter buckets with no issues of infection or oxidation. It's only when you are going to long-term age or cold lager for several weeks or months that you'd not want to leave it sitting in a plastic bucket. I do my lagering in corny kegs, so I never use a carboy.

Are you using lager yeast? How much and what kind did you pitch? At what temp have you been fermenting? Lagers need 2x the yeast cell count vs. a comparable ale and careful temp control (typically around 10*C). They also tend to ferment more slowly. By pulling the beer off the yeast cake after just two days, you took a large number of cells out of the process which can cause some problems (like a stuck ferment).

I'm not sure what type of yeast it was now.. It was the one the Lhbs gave me with the kit.. As for temp control I bought a couple of those stick on thermometers and have had very little success getting a reading from them. I've been very careful to keep the temp. In my apartment the same roughly 15*c .. I think I will let it sit for the 14 days and see how that goes when I take the hydrometer reading.. Would it make sence to add more yeast if my reading is off?

Back