Slow fermentation activity in yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sborz22

Here for a SMaSH'ing good time!
Reaction score
I started a yeast starter early in the week, I believe it was on Tuesday. There did not seem to be any activity as of yesterday. Much to my dismay my yeast starter had barely nudged from the starting gravity.

It was a typical starter of 100 grams dry extract to 1 liter of water for roughly 40 gravity points. It was a fresh pack of WL001. But here is where I think the issue may lie. I got it from Northern Brewer and the package was in transit over a weekend and by the time it reached me here in Pennsylvania the yeast was AT LEAST at room temp but my guess is that on the UPS truck it was much hotter.

Is it possible that most of the yeast died but I successfully saved some to reproduce? If so, will the size of the starter gravity and volume have a negative impact on the seemingly low count of viable cells?

As we speak the starter is now bubbling away.

If anyone has experienced this let me know. Most importantly- should I use it if it does hit the expected FG.

Thanks,
Matt

Back