Single tier folks? Kettle height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
OK, So I finally have the parts needed to build my single tier. I see a lot of great designs, all of which seem to have the base of the kettles set at about belt level?

I am curious why so high off the ground. My thought is to set the kettles at knee height. That lowers the CG of the whole brew rig while operating and also makes it easier to see into the kettles to tend the brew.

My plan is to have the pump(s) as low to the ground as I can with the intake couplers off of elbow set about the top third of the casters. My CFC will sit on the bottom level below the burners.

Let me know how you determined the working height of the kettles for your build. Curious.

Thanks!

OK, So I finally have the parts needed to build my single tier. I see a lot of great designs, all of which seem to have the base of the kettles set at about belt level?

I am curious why so high off the ground. My thought is to set the kettles at knee height. That lowers the CG of the whole brew rig while operating and also makes it easier to see into the kettles to tend the brew.

My plan is to have the pump(s) as low to the ground as I can with the intake couplers off of elbow set about the top third of the casters. My CFC will sit on the bottom level below the burners.

Let me know how you determined the working height of the kettles for your build. Curious.

Thanks!

Well..I am tall..6' and I like keeping things where I do not have to bend down...I followed Lonnie's Brutus 10 plans all the way through on the measurements... So basically...I would build it to a height your most comfortable working with....

I would think you would want it high enough so you could drain cool wort directly into carboy (fermentor of choice).

Chris

I see where it could be easier at a lower height, but if you have to operate valves and swap hoses it's much easier when it's in front of you, than having to bend down.

Jrems, excellent point about the valve height.

I'm short, so I have my MLT as low as I can so I can stir/mash in without a step stool. But then I have to bend way over to open and close the ball valves on the pumps and to hook up the chiller. It's a trade-off, but I'm happier with being able to reach into the bottom of my BK, and see into the HLT.

Stand height should be between 30" and 32". We use 4" casters which have an approximate total height of 5"

Take a look at our stands.

Thanks OHG. I have seen your stands. I am just curious what criteria others have used to determine the working height of their kettles.

How did you arrive at 30-32"?

Cheers!

sldo keep in mind that any pumps or valves will be on the stand so if the stand is too low you will be hunched over trying to work them...also, if you arent using a pump, you want the valve on the kettle to he at least as high as the carboy or bucket right?

mine IS about belt level and i have to stand on my pit toes to physically see into to the bottom of the kettles...but im short. and my "brew" kettle is actually a quarter barrel kettle right now. so i have no issues.

i would say that IF you are in fact worried about the over under on height, first make it accessable and convinient to use from an operational standpoint...make it high enough so that any controls or collection can be done without back pain or much labor. then build a step stool or something if you absolutely NEED to see into the kettles.

I haven't seen anyone mention heat issues. Making your stand too short puts little distance between the burners and pumps/valves. You can always make heat sheilds for your pumps, but a little insulating distance works well.

Thanks OHG. I have seen your stands. I am just curious what criteria others have used to determine the working height of their kettles.

How did you arrive at 30-32"?

Cheers!

When we began building stands I had my wife (5'-4") stand at a mock up with a mash paddle to see how low/high it has to be. 30-32 turned out to be the magical number.
Our pumps are mounted 12"-16" below the top rail. A certain amount of gravity is required for mag drive pumps.
Heat is not an issue that far below a burner, heat rises. We use a combination mount/drip shield unique to our products that probably deflects heat also.

Stand height should be between 30" and 32". We use 4" casters which have an approximate total height of 5"

Take a look at our stands.

OHG,

I am having issues with a Bayou Classic 30PSI regulator (5HPR30) running just two burners (BG12s). If I have the burners anywhere beyond a moderate flame the regulator clicks and goes to safety mode and drops the flames to pilot level until the system is complete shutoff, etc.

My manifold setup is like yours below. 1/2" black pipe, then riser to valve, then flare 3/8 copper to HP orifice, etc. (per burner)

I notice on one of your system you are use a different regulator
P10100852.jpg

As a system builder, I thought you might be able to help on this one.
What regulator is it, what PSI, etc. Are you seeing any such safety mode behavior? I can't imagine running 3 burners with what I have.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with a regulator with an auto shut-off. We use standard regulators. Quality control is dismal at best on the burners and regulators and no two are the same. I was inspecting a shipping of burners this morning and half were missing parts.

The safety mode thing was my description. It could be a quality issue for sure. After all these are stamped out by machines in a far off land.

What PSI rating are the regs you are using?

Looks good!
The flame is off the surface of the burner in the photo. That's already on the high side. Also, you need to move your burners up, they're too low. 2" - 3" is a good distance for that size burner (6"). Try that first. They shouldn't need any more than 5 psi.

OHG, Thanks. I will adjust the height this evening. I thought a height of 4-5 inches was discussed in anoher thread. I will tighten it up a bit. Cheers

3" - 5" for the 10" 'banjo' burner. You have 6" burners which are much closer in BTU output to a commercial gas range.

:off:

Anyone want a peanut?

"Never get involved in a land war in Asia" - Vizzini (actually a quote from General Douglas McArthur)

Back