Single decoction to mash-out only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
I have a new pilsner I will be brewing this week after work, but I have a question:

How have your experiences been with a single, mash-out only decoction? I did a typical double before on my first pils, then skipped it completely on my last one only doing a single infusion (with a little melanoidin malt to make up for it). This time I am thinking of a single decoction.

The plan is to mash for 1hr at 148-150F and then pull a thick decoction to boil for 20mins and then just add back to the rest of the mash, drain and then batch sparge as usual. This way it only adds maybe 20-30mins to my brew day but I hope to some extent, still adds some additional color/complexity (in theory!). It will be followed up with a 90min boil as well.

Have any of you done something similar?

For my Euro-lagers, I'm probably 50/50 when it comes to choosing between a single or double decoction. It depends on time available and the recipe. When I do a single, it's almost always to achieve the mashout temp like you're planning. It works great and definitely makes a difference in maltiness and color.

Before you boil the decocted portion, be sure to stop the ramp-up at around 168 for 5-10 minutes to mash out the decocted portion.

I just use 2-3% melanoiden, single step mash with no mash out, and I really like how my lagers turn out the last few years.

I have only don't one decoction and it was a single one. The main difference I had was that I overshot my OG by a lot. Since it was the only one I have done I don't have a comparison as to flavor.

Before you boil the decocted portion, be sure to stop the ramp-up at around 168 for 5-10 minutes to mash out the decocted portion.

Why do you think this is necessary? Once you reach 170 it is being mashed out. Why stop and wait for 5-10 minutes. A mash out will still happen as the temperature rises to boiling.

You bring up a good point with the OG that I forgot. In my experience, I get 70-75% efficiency with a single infusion and fly sparge, 75-80% with a single decoction, and 80-85% with a double decoction. So plan for a little bump to your normal efficiency with a single infusion.

Back to your question kh54s10: I do a short mashout on the decocted portion so that part of the grain bill is handled the same as the non-decocted portion, and this short step ensures all the enzymatic power of the grains has been squeezed out before further heating.

"To decoct or not to decoct" has been debated ad nauseam on HBT and elsewhere. I say mash the way that produces a beer that makes you happy.

So yesterday I brewed the Pils with the single decoction... All went very smoothly! I did overshoot my OG as expected (1.053 vs. 1.050), mash efficiency was something like 84% if I recall. I much preferred doing this single decoction vs. the multi-step one I have done in the past, but we shall see how it turns out. I liked that this only added maybe 25-30mins tops, so I can see myself doing it more often with my lagers.

I mashed for the 50-60mins at 152F before starting the decoction. Pulled quite a bit of thick mash and boiled for about 20 minutes or so. Color darkened a bit and the aroma by the end was just awesome, smelled amazing!

Finishing color of the wort was very nice, nice dark golden hue. It looked a bit darker than the previous single infusion pils I did with a few % melanoidin malt. I look forward to seeing the result of this one in the glass finished.

Expecting it to finish around 5.6% ABV and 50 IBU (in the ballpark of Prima Pils)… I used German Magnum pellet for the bittering charge, followed by a few ounces of whole flower Tettnang Tettnanger and Saaz for late boil additions. I will be dry hopping this one with 1oz each of pellet Hallertauer Mittelfrüh and Saaz to finish… Will dry hop during the d-rest and allow a contact time of only 24-48hrs before crashing, fining and transfer to the keg for the 5-6 week cold conditioning period.

Back