Simple sugars in berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I have some German blackberries (schwarzbeeren) that I want to add to a finished cream ale. These are very mild berries, with not a lot of sweetness. But they are very tasty. I'm wondering if the simple sugars in the berries will trigger a new fermentation in the keg? These aren't anything like the cluster blackberries. These are individual berries that are the shape of blueberries, the size of peas, and the color of a traditional blackberry. Any thoughts? These were grown in our yard last summer. I'm going to strain them into a pot and cook them down to concentrate the juice, so I won't have to add as much volume to the kegs. Any other advice?

I don't have a lot of turnaround time to make this work. Like, days. What suggestions do you have to make it work without the Potassium sorbate? Also, am I understanding that the secondary fermentation that the berries will cause will make the berry flavor less pronounced?

Keep the keg below40, closer to 35 and that should keep the yeast dormant. Otherwise hit it with metabisulphite and sorbate before adding the berry juice. That's not time intensive

To get the most berry flavor you will need the beer to be mixed with the berries and sit on them for at least two weeks, if not longer. When I use puree I gently remix the puree back into suspension every few days (gently).

Back