Simple Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeqmaster

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to bottle my first batch of brew (Pale Ale). I have a siphon with racking cane as well as a bottle filling tip. The brew is currently in my 5 gallon glass secondary fermentor. The question is; when I add the priming solution to the batch, what is the best way to stir it up? Do I want to worry about agitating the brew by mixing it too much. Since I am using a glass carboy, whats the alternative to using a spoon to stir it all up? Also, if anyone has general advice and tips on the subject of bottling I would love to hear it. Thanks.

Invest $8.50 or so in a bottling bucket with a tap on the side.

Get the priming solution ready, then start the siphon from the carboy into the bottling bucket. Once the siphon is going good and steady, put the priming sugar solution right into the bottling bucket. The siphoning action will mix it for you.

I agree with M1 about the need for a bottling bucket.

If you don't have one yet and don't want to get one before you bottle, you can simply pour the boiled priming sugar directly into the carboy and use your siphon to gently swirl the beer. Try not to disturb the trub on the bottom too much and don't splash. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes and you are good to go. I did this for my first few batches and it worked out fine.

another in agreement...get a bottling bucket. its the only real decent & cheap way to bottle beer proper.

You may want to invest in an auto-siphon also. After the last time I tried to rack a beer, I will NEVER rack without one again.

Another alternative to purchasing more stuff, is to use your primary as your "bottling bucket" (it doesn't matter if it's a bucket or a carboy). Put your priming solution in first then rack the beer on top. This will mix up pretty good on its own, but you can use the racking cane to give it a final stir before bottling.

I do agree with the auto-siphon advice, though.

Latest posts

Back