Simcoe Substitute ? Is it possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyGerman

Reaction score
I was reading some Post from 09 saying there is no subing for simcoe and then i read a few more posts on other sites and i think one here that said possible but you would have to use a conglomerate of several hops the ones that seem to be popping up are cascades + centennial +chinook.
I wanted to do a batch with just Simcoe, sadly i can't find any anywheres so it looks like i will be trying a sub .....if it's even possible. so if any one has any idea's or prehaps knowledge you could pass down to a noob brewer please do so.

It should be possible to blend other hops to get a Simcoe-like effect... but I don't know how to do it. Sorry!

Like you, I've read that there's no substitute for simcoe, but I also read that one can come close with a mix of 1/2 columbus, and the other 1/2 a mix of cascade, centennial, and/or amarillo. Haven't tried it myself, but it seems like a reasonable substitute.

I heard that while Simcoe is not replaceable because it is such a great hop and not like others, I have also heard/read that IF you have to substitute Amarillo would be the next in line to go with. Problem is, Amarillo is now hard to find and while you can, it is expensive. Rebel Brewer, Austin Home Brew and Midwest all have it right now. I ordered from Midwest cause I bought an Amarillo IPA kit and I think it was around $3.25 an oz!

When I called up Midwest Supplies trying to get my hands on some Citra hops, the guy I talked to was told by the guy who orders their hops that some breweries were buying up Citra after the Simcoe ran out. Could be complete bull, but I thought it was interesting.

By the way, I got my Amarillo hops for $1.95 an ounce at my local homebrew store. I almost ordered them from Midwest, but was very happy I checked there first.

Latest posts

Back