Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oylerck

Reaction score
So just transferred this from dryhop keg to serving keg. Dryhopped at room temp 3 days and mashed at 148.

Unflocculated, under carbed and room temp and it's pretty delicious. Juicy but slightly bitter. I wouldnt use simcoe by itself though. Maybe add mosaic towards the end. Hops at end of boil was really added at 170 for a short hop stand. I continued to chill through it.

Very slight cat piss smell and maybe apricot or pineapple. Small amount of pine at the end.

View attachment 401948View attachment 401949

I made an all-Simcoe batch a few months ago after having tried RR's Row 2, Hill 56. Mine came out great, if a bit thin (but that's a malt issue), and I think I'll be refining it into a regular rotation. I actually got quite a bit of pineapple from mine, and none of the unsavory descriptors people usually use with Simcoe were apparent to my taste.

Strangely enough, I just brewed an all-Mosaic IPA a couple of weeks ago except I swapped out the FWH with Simcoe because I wanted to get them used and I was running low on Mosaic, so I didn't want to use them just for bittering. So, a "mostly"-Mosaic, I guess. :)

I made an all-Simcoe batch a few months ago after having tried RR's Row 2, Hill 56. Mine came out great, if a bit thin (but that's a malt issue), and I think I'll be refining it into a regular rotation. I actually got quite a bit of pineapple from mine, and none of the unsavory descriptors people usually use with Simcoe were apparent to my taste.

Strangely enough, I just brewed an all-Mosaic IPA a couple of weeks ago except I swapped out the FWH with Simcoe because I wanted to get them used and I was running low on Mosaic, so I didn't want to use them just for bittering. So, a "mostly"-Mosaic, I guess. :)

Mine needs a little orange flavor to round it out. Otherwise I think this could pass for brewery quality.

Back