Silly question … maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaisonMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a yeast starter today. Sanitized everything, including a pair of scissors to open the WLP530. Everything went great, until my wife pointed out some rust on those old scissors. My rational side says I made a small diagonal cut with something that was sanitized and that it’s no big deal. My paranoid side says WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

Can someone talk me down from the ledge? Or is there a danger of contamination? I know there’s nothing I can do about it now but, you know, peace of mind. 😳

Listen to your rational side! Rust is only rust and may not contain anything that would infect your beer. Especially since many of the things that would might not even be visible to the naked eye. If you have good sanitization practices, the chances are slim that your batch will be infected. RDWHAHB

Can someone talk me down from the ledge? Or is there a danger of contamination?
Probability of contamination depends not on the rust on the scissors but on the level of microbial insemination of the scissors, rust or not.
Rust by itself isn't a contaminant. Microbes are. If you had your rusty scissors sanitized before making the cut, you're good and have nothing to worry about.

Back